Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shipping a bike with no address

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 09:11 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

I'm moving to a new city and will be shipping all my bikes. Here's my dilemma: I haven't found a place to live yet and lack an address to ship to.

What are my options? I'm thinking it may be possible to ship to the post office and ask them to hold it there.
Old 01-26-22, 09:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
What you are describing is called "general delivery" and you can look it up at the USPS website. Though you may want to check with your local Postmaster (and also the Postmaster of the office to which you are shipping the bikes) if they can accommodate such large packages.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-26-22, 09:41 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
If you find that shipping via USPS is prohibitively expensive (as opposed to shipping with Shipbikes or Bikeflights) you might contact a couple of moving and storage companies in the city where you are moving and see what they would charge to receive the bikes and store them for you.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-26-22, 09:46 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by obrentharris
If you find that shipping via USPS is prohibitively expensive (as opposed to shipping with Shipbikes or Bikeflights) you might contact a couple of moving and storage companies in the city where you are moving and see what they would charge to receive the bikes and store them for you.
Brent
Good idea. I'm indeed using bike flights. I was planning to get a storage unit for some other belongings.
Old 01-26-22, 09:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
UPS and FEDEX have a way to hold a package at one of their store front sites (e.g. FEDEX/Kinkos or UPS Store). Check on that.

Another idea - contact a bike shop and see if they'll receive it for you Might work if you're going to have a bike shop reassemble them.
Old 01-26-22, 10:41 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Another option is to have them all packaged, postage paid and ready to go, and leave them with a friend in your current city. Once you have a place in the new city, have the friend get them in the mail to you at your new address.

Dan
Old 01-26-22, 10:53 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Before retirement, we had good luck shipping our bikes to bike stores. We did ask them to put them together for us. It was part of our vacation expense. I also like the idea of asking a neighbor to deliver a boxed bike. Last thought is Warm Showers host. We have asked if we could leave our car when starting a tour. If the bikes are delivered to their house, it may not be too much trouble.
Old 01-26-22, 11:06 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
I'll give you an address to send them to, haha
Old 01-27-22, 12:37 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Another option is to have them all packaged, postage paid and ready to go, and leave them with a friend in your current city. Once you have a place in the new city, have the friend get them in the mail to you at your new address.

Dan
hmm, my current roommate might be able to help out here
Old 01-27-22, 04:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
Good idea. I'm indeed using bike flights. I was planning to get a storage unit for some other belongings.
Having used Bikeflights both before and after it switched from FedEx to UPS, I would look at ShipBikes first, assuming it still uses FedEx.
Old 01-27-22, 05:30 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
If you can, ship them to a friend & store them in an EZ storage like place. It'd not be in the way of your friend & you could grab them at your own time.
Old 01-27-22, 08:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
Assuming you're going to set up in a motel/hotel in your new hometown, you might contact them and see if they'll accept packages for you. The night before you leave, ship the bike(s) via ground, then see if you can get there within a day or two of the bikes.

Though if you're getting a storage unit, how are you getting your other stuff there? Is there room in the trailer or truck for another box or two?
Old 01-27-22, 02:43 PM
akbejeepin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think USPS and FedEx can help with that..
Old 01-27-22, 02:45 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Given the increases in delivery times recently, you might have a place by the time they get there.
Just kidding. The bike store, or ship to a storage place sound good. A shipping company might be able to warehouse them for a while.
Good luck.
Old 01-27-22, 03:02 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Assuming you're going to set up in a motel/hotel in your new hometown, you might contact them and see if they'll accept packages for you. The night before you leave, ship the bike(s) via ground, then see if you can get there within a day or two of the bikes.

Though if you're getting a storage unit, how are you getting your other stuff there? Is there room in the trailer or truck for another box or two?
A thought on the storage unit: If you've got a definite area picked for your future residence, can you do your storage unit rental in advance and have the bikes shipped to that office. The outfit I dealt with on my last (better be) move pointedly offered a willingness to receive mail/UPS/FedEx at the office, and then would take it to your storage unit. Didn't need to use it, but it was nice to know they could. Of course, that means you're either using their lock, or supplying them with lock and key so they can get into the unit.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-27-22, 03:18 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
If you are staying at a hotel when you first come into town they can receive mail and packages for you, particularly if it's a 'good' site. You may want to warn them up front about it.
Old 01-27-22, 09:31 PM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
call a LBS. i have had luck that way.
Old 01-28-22, 03:49 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If you are flying to your new city, you will beat your bikes there. If you have a lot of bikes, I would arrange a storage unit and have them delivered to my hotel where I would have a U Haul rented to take them to storage. Or, see if a bike shop could help. If you are driving and have a lot of bikes, it might be cheaper and easier to get a U haul trailer.
Old 01-28-22, 05:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
It used to be possible to get an address through Mailboxes Etc. Apparently bought out by UPS, and I don't know if the service still exists. But, largely like a PO box, but with an address that looks like a real address. There may be similar services.

You might also talk to some of the local bike shops and ask them if you could ship to them.
Old 01-29-22, 04:01 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Yes, that's a UPS Store, when UPS bought out Mailboxes, Etc.

However, as others have mentioned-- you may need to call a few options and see if they have the ability to store several (how many?) large bike boxes for you, for however long you need them to. I worked at a UPS Store once in college. The place was not large. We wouldn't have had room to store any large packages for customers.

I'm thinking your best bet is the suggestion someone made to have someone ship them to you when you have a place. Especially since you say your current roommate might be able to help-- obviously the bikes have a place to live where you're at now, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue for them to stay there for a bit until you have a new home for them, unlike you trying to find a place that has the space to store them for you.