Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best wat to determine proper tools?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-11-21, 09:28 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts

Hello everyone. I've been into cycling for 3 years. I have the bug pretty bad it seems because I now own 12 bikes including 2 for my wife and 2 for my son. I've acquired a few tools and do all my own cables, brakes, and simple conversion type jobs. I haven't replaced any bottom brackets or head sets yet myself. What I would like is to get the proper tools but it seems that there are a multitude of designs requiring different tools. I could take a couple bikes at a time to my local bike shop for advice but it's an hour and a half away. I would need to make several trips and I hate to bother those guys unless I'm making other purchases.

If I take very good up close pictures, is it possible someone here could help me buy the proper tools, or is it more of a hands on try one after another until you get the correct one type deal where a bike shop with multiple style tools would be necessary? What I really need are bottom bracket tools and cassette-freewheel removal tools. Otherwise I have a fairly good kit of Park Tool equipment.
Old 07-11-21, 09:36 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
What tools are required really depends on what type of BB/headset,cassette/freewheel is installed on any given bike. For example I own 5 different freewheel/cassette tools. I only need 2 different ones for my bikes, but have needed others for working on other people's bikes, or got them cheap enough to have "just in case"
Old 07-11-21, 09:42 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What tools are required really depends on what type of BB/headset,cassette/freewheel is installed on any given bike. For example I own 5 different freewheel/cassette tools. I only need 2 different ones for my bikes, but have needed others for working on other people's bikes, or got them cheap enough to have "just in case"
That's about what I thought. I just didn't know if it is possible to tell by a good picture, or if it's more of a hands on deal.
Old 07-11-21, 09:51 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
You could always post pictures here, folks have a pretty good eye, including some who have worked in shops. Knowing the brand of the component can sometimes help narrow things down too.

I've found that the Park Tool website has some good pictorials for things like BB and freewheel splines.
Old 07-11-21, 04:58 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
The above is good advice. I gifted all three daughters when they left home the highly rated Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance for their road bikes and they have done well. He also has an MTB book. They have bought what they need when needed. I just look on ebay and his 2005 addition is $4 shipped!
Likes For easyupbug: