Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar stem removal

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebar stem removal

Old 10-01-21, 02:36 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
lol ^^^

acme = so much better. comes with a free stick of dynamite for stuck seat posts
Old 10-01-21, 06:11 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Loosen the top bolt of the stem until it sticks out of the stem but isn't fully out of the wedge threads. Smack with a hammer. It should pop down and then the stem should move freely. If it doesn't start using penetrative oil from the top and the bottom and let it sit in both orientations for a day.

If you're still having trouble you can come by and I can see what's what. I have the headset tools and a couple spare spacers.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 10-01-21, 06:29 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Loosen the top bolt of the stem until it sticks out of the stem but isn't fully out of the wedge threads. Smack with a hammer. It should pop down and then the stem should move freely. If it doesn't start using penetrative oil from the top and the bottom and let it sit in both orientations for a day.

If you're still having trouble you can come by and I can see what's what. I have the headset tools and a couple spare spacers.
Thanks Narhay, I'll PM you if I get stuck (like the stem) Hoping a moderate wack will un-stick it. I hate hitting my bikes with anything!
Old 10-01-21, 02:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I used to just use my thumb, but after a while that seemed like a bad idea.
Using your wife's thumb is even worse.
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-01-21, 02:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Using your wife's thumb is even worse.
omg!!..ha! or her foot

before i got a t-post driver (fencing), i had to use a sledge hammer. wouldn't you know the one time i ask my wife to hold the post steady just so i could get it started, i miss the post and snap the handle. and, it's funny how the hammer head could have gone anywhere, but it had to bounce onto her foot. i think she made it do that so i could be in trouble again. haven't found her book of spells and pin dolls, but i'll keep looking
Old 10-01-21, 03:16 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there are a couple of adjustable wrenches that have jaws narrow enough for this headset adjusment buisness, but in general, the jaws are too fat and the set screw for the jaws is too wobbly for them to work well in this application, They tend to slip off and damage or round the corners. These work OK, but not as well as a real headset wrench in the proper size.

I have one of these. Love it. Super wide jaws, tight clearances in the mechanism so that the width that you set the jaws stays in place much better than most adjustables, and mine was made in Spain so (hopefully) there's less chance of bad working conditions and environmental offenses. I've used it plenty of times in the situation where only one of my headset wrenches fits and it works great.
Likes For tricky:
Old 10-01-21, 03:25 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by gthomson
Ok, just watched RJ the bike guy and he goes through this grueling video on "removing a quill stem, worst case scenario" Holy crap, that looks like hell! I don't think it's frozen because I don't see any signs of rust along the edge of the stem into the head tube and can even see a bit of grease (being optimistic here).

I was worried the stem bolt acted like a tent pole bolt, where you tightened it one way, and it expanded into the stem to tighten further. Glad to say I'm wrong.

I have an adjustable wrench that I can use to remove the hex nut and will try tapping the stem bolt to see if that loosens the wedge.

Just to be clear, you don't need to remove any part of the headset to remove the stem.

The order of operations here are:

1. Remove stem. Smack the bolt while loosened a bit but still threaded in to the wedge to remove the wedge. Hold the wheel between your legs, then twist the handlebars back and forth to see if it'll break free. If that doesn't work then you start down the path of more intensive removal methods. You already found RJ, but there are a ton of other threads and other online resources about stuck stems out there.
2. Remove top hex nut on the headset.
2.5 (optional) remove the bottom hex nut and fork and regrease your headset.
3. Replace the light bracket with a keyed spacer the same width (pic below)
4. Reinstall top hex nut. You'll need 2 headset wrenches or a headset wrench and an adjustable wrench to reinstall the hex nut and readjust the headset.
5. Clean your stem, the inside of the steerer tube, and apply a very thin layer of grease to your stem before installing to reduce the chance of re-stuckage.
6. Reinstall stem.
7. Go ride before the weather gets crappy!
Likes For tricky:
Old 10-02-21, 12:33 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Bingo, bango, bongo - took all (or most) of your advice and a decent tap on the wood and unstuck the expander wedge. When I took the stem out there was some surface rust so I cleaned that all up, got off that light mount and then greased the heck out of the stem and put it back together. Now I can show off my new handlebar bag which was the real reason I wanted the mount off.
thanks all
Old 10-02-21, 12:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Bingo, bango, bongo.
I thought you loosened your headset locknut, and you didn't have a headset wrench to adjust the headset correctly. Make sure the locknut is tight. And without the front wheel mounted, make sure the steering is smooth, tight and not binding.
Old 10-02-21, 02:55 PM
gthomson

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I thought you loosened your headset locknut, and you didn't have a headset wrench to adjust the headset correctly. Make sure the locknut is tight. And without the front wheel mounted, make sure the steering is smooth, tight and not binding.
The light mount was a very thin sheet metal (1mm?) and it sat between the headset locknut and the head tube so I don't think it required a spacer? I didn't need to remove the front fork or wheel. I have a decently thin adjustable wrench which I sized correctly for the headset locknut and gingerly tightened it back on with the wheel aligned correctly.

I didn't read Tricky's reply until just now which is too bad because I could have done further maintenance by removing the bottom hex nut and forks and lubricating that. I can save that for a later job.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 10-02-21, 03:58 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Good looking machine you have there!
Likes For markk900:
Old 10-02-21, 04:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I have a decently thin adjustable wrench which I sized correctly for the headset locknut and gingerly tightened it.
That's not how you do it. Read my post again. Study how to adjust a headset. You basically need to lock two "nuts" together on any system like this (whether it be a headset, hub, pedal, or bottom bracket). Or you can just hope for the best and maybe replace the headset later when it fails.
Old 10-02-21, 04:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Bingo, bango, bongo - took all (or most) of your advice and a decent tap on the wood and unstuck the expander wedge. When I took the stem out there was some surface rust so I cleaned that all up, got off that light mount and then greased the heck out of the stem and put it back together. Now I can show off my new handlebar bag which was the real reason I wanted the mount off.
thanks all
As with many endeavours mechanical, you have to develop the requisite skill and experience that gets you to where you intuitively know when to switch from careful mode to hammertime, sometimes there's a lot of ground in between and sometimes there's not.

Always proceed with caution while looking for the opportunity to get after it when necessary.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-02-21, 05:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I have one of these. Love it. Super wide jaws, tight clearances in the mechanism so that the width that you set the jaws stays in place much better than most adjustables, and mine was made in Spain so (hopefully) there's less chance of bad working conditions and environmental offenses. I've used it plenty of times in the situation where only one of my headset wrenches fits and it works great.
Yep, same here, these are great when you need them.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-02-21, 06:31 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
The light mount was a very thin sheet metal (1mm?) and it sat between the headset locknut and the head tube so I don't think it required a spacer? I didn't need to remove the front fork or wheel. I have a decently thin adjustable wrench which I sized correctly for the headset locknut and gingerly tightened it back on with the wheel aligned correctly.

I didn't read Tricky's reply until just now which is too bad because I could have done further maintenance by removing the bottom hex nut and forks and lubricating that. I can save that for a later job.
You need to make sure there is a gap here, hence the reason you may need a spacer when you remove the bracket. If the nut bottoms on the steerer tube the headset won't hold adjustment and F things up.

Old 10-02-21, 06:45 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by dedhed
If the nut bottoms on the steerer tube the headset won't hold adjustment and F things up.
However, if the steerer is the exact perfect height and the locknut does bottom out, then maybe he can adjust his headset with only one wrench.
Old 10-03-21, 11:23 AM
gthomson

That's not how you do it. Read my post again. Study how to adjust a headset. You basically need to lock two "nuts" together on any system like this (whether it be a headset, hub, pedal, or bottom bracket). Or you can just hope for the best and maybe replace the headset later when it fails.
Ok, does RJ cover what you're referring to in this video? If so, you're right, I didn't even notice that nut. I will need to get that wrench he has.

Old 10-03-21, 11:36 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Ok, does RJ cover what you're referring to in this video?
Sorry, didn't watch. RJ is a hack. Read Sheldon Brown.

you're right.
That's the way every "moving" component on a bicycle works. It is basic mechanics, locking two nuts together on a bolt. If we couldn't lock two nuts together on a bolt, a bicycle would not work. We would have to rivet everything in place or use locking compound.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-03-21, 11:36 AM
gthomson

Originally Posted by markk900
Good looking machine you have there!
Thanks, let me know if you're ever interested in going for a ride some time I can carry the snacks!
Old 10-04-21, 10:39 AM
tricky 

@gthomson looks like the image of the keyed washer didn't come through in my previous post. You need to have a washer with a key in it in place of that light mount. See below. Notice that little nub at the inside top of the washer. If you don't have that the headset will become loose over time. Your old light mount probably had a key in it for this reason. If your headset is adjusted well right now (no binding from being too tight or rocking back and forth) it would be enough for a little bit of riding but plan on trying this again with a second wrench and a new washer once acquired.

Old 10-04-21, 10:43 AM
gthomson

@gthomson looks like the image of the keyed washer didn't come through in my previous post. You need to have a washer with a key in it in place of that light mount. See below. Notice that little nub at the inside top of the washer. If you don't have that the headset will become loose over time. Your old light mount probably had a key in it for this reason. If your headset is adjusted well right now (no binding from being too tight or rocking back and forth) it would be enough for a little bit of riding but plan on trying this again with a second wrench and a new washer once acquired.

Thanks Tricky, I will get the washer then tighten the headset from both sides. Is there a specific size the spacer should be?
Likes For gthomson:
Old 10-04-21, 02:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Is there a specific size the spacer should be?
Just tall enough to prevent your lock nut from bottoming out on the top of the steerer.

Not all headsets use keyed washers. I don't know of a reason that your headset would become loose without a keyed washer if you lock the adjustable cup and locknut tightly together.
Old 10-04-21, 03:03 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
That's why I always recommend trying Freeze-Off to remove stuck stems and seatposts.
​​​​​​Thank you for the tip; I think I'll roll me over to NAPA.
Old 10-05-21, 03:29 PM
tricky 

Just tall enough to prevent your lock nut from bottoming out on the top of the steerer.

Not all headsets use keyed washers. I don't know of a reason that your headset would become loose without a keyed washer if you lock the adjustable cup and locknut tightly together.
In my personal experience with threaded headsets that I put through a lot of abuse (mainly an 80s mountain bike commuter. curb hopping, light offroading, 1 CX race), they eventually came loose without a keyed washer. Saint Sheldon felt the same way too ("Keyed Washer" in the Washer section of the Glossary) Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary W I think you can get away with not using one, but adjusting threaded headsets is one of my least favorite bike maintenance tasks and I would prefer to do it as little as possible.
@gthomson re: size, if you mean thickness, then if your headset was staying tight when you had the light mount, then just match the thickness of the portion of the light mount that was sandwiched between the two mounts. If you mean circumference, then yes, there are a couple different sizes, but a bike shop should be able to easily supply one for your standard 1" threaded headset. Or, just YOLO it without a keyed washer like SurferRosa. Heck, if it's staying tight now, then you can run it that way too. You do you!
Old 10-05-21, 04:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

In my personal experience with threaded headsets that I put through a lot of abuse ... they eventually came loose without a keyed washer.
I'll defer to your judgment. I don't have any experience abusing road bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.