Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Example of “Toxic Sweat”

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Example of “Toxic Sweat”

Old 12-09-21, 10:41 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's some interesting stuff, thanks for the info.
Old 12-10-21, 09:31 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The salt is only part of the problem. The humidity and dew point are the other part. Here in dry Colorado it is currently 35°F with a relative humidity of 45% and a dew point of 20°F. Current temperature in Tampa is 70°F with a relative humidity of 89% and a dew point of 69°F. There’s no water to sucked out of the air in Denver while there is lots and lots and lots of water to be sucked out of the air in Tampa. Sodium chloride is hydroscopic which means it can suck water out of the air. Your bar tape in NC wasn’t wet because it failed to dry but because the salt in the bar tape was actively sucking water out of the air.
I think the word is hygroscopic.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-10-21, 10:24 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This is too good not to steal! BTW, is there an attribution for this memetastic art?
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 12-10-21, 10:30 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
This is too good not to steal! BTW, is there an attribution for this memetastic art?
I'm not sure! I'd seen the picture a few years ago (might have been someone's avatar here) and it popped into my head after @canklecat's post.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-10-21, 11:59 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Your bar tape in NC wasn’t wet because it failed to dry but because the salt in the bar tape was actively sucking water out of the air.
I've noticed the same thing with certain hats. I might work up a big sweat working in the yard and soak the hat real good, and a week later it is still wet. It probably keeps absorbing water from the air until October when the humidity finally goes away.
Old 12-10-21, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yikes, that's worse than a toxic girlfriend! if they rode faster, the sweat would fall further back, no? or is that from an indoor trainer? if so, maybe throw a towel over the bars?
Old 12-10-21, 12:37 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
Would it make sense to pre-wrap the bars with packing tape or plastic wrap before the bar tape?
High quality electrical tape.
Old 12-10-21, 02:11 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Man, and I always assumed the Tri-Bikes have a lot of corrosion due to the urine. Who knew it was their sweat!
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 12-10-21, 02:16 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I've only ever seen this happen in Tampa. One dude went down at 30mph+ during a sprint. It wasn't the first time it happened to him either...
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-10-21, 02:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I think the word is hygroscopic.
Yep. Corrected.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-10-21, 03:31 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Titanium bars, stem, bolts, frame, and everything else you can manage might help.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-10-21, 04:11 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Yep. Corrected.
I knew that because I made the same mistake multiple times.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-10-21, 04:23 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
Salt/Sweat also wrecks havoc on headsets. I started to replace mine due to a "creaking" that started up.

Pics in thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...set-stuck.html
Likes For masonv45:
Old 12-10-21, 05:49 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Here in Florida, bikes practically have an expiration date. Dealing with a warranty because of corrosion is a nightmare. Some companies don’t even bother the second they see the guest is located in Florida.

A lot of people have tried layering electrical tape underneath the tape itself which doesn’t do much besides leaving a horrible residue. It’s just as bad as people who undercoat their vehicles up North. Once moisture and salt finds a way in(which it will), it’s trapped there and causes a lot more damage than usual.

Preventive maintenance is what I usually hammer onto people but a lot of bike owners typically don’t want to learn(neither do I want to fix their attempt at a bar wrap plus smelling their dried sweat).

Again, Florida is just Florida. If you’re not on your bike with a q-tip dabbing Tri-Flow in every nook and cranny every weekend then expect some corrosion.
Old 12-10-21, 06:21 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Here in Florida, bikes practically have an expiration date. Dealing with a warranty because of corrosion is a nightmare. Some companies don’t even bother the second they see the guest is located in Florida.

A lot of people have tried layering electrical tape underneath the tape itself which doesn’t do much besides leaving a horrible residue. It’s just as bad as people who undercoat their vehicles up North. Once moisture and salt finds a way in(which it will), it’s trapped there and causes a lot more damage than usual.

Preventive maintenance is what I usually hammer onto people but a lot of bike owners typically don’t want to learn(neither do I want to fix their attempt at a bar wrap plus smelling their dried sweat).

Again, Florida is just Florida. If you’re not on your bike with a q-tip dabbing Tri-Flow in every nook and cranny every weekend then expect some corrosion.
So true. Luckily my FD hanger snapped off after I moved to Oklahoma and Cannondale actually fixed it under warranty. I don't know if that would have happened if I was still in Tampa.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-10-21, 06:56 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I had a couple small pencil-tip sized specks of corrosion on my 3T Ergonova last time I changed the tape. Cleaned and coated it with Boeshield T9 and let it dry before wrapping. Due for tape change soon, will see if it helped prevent progression.
Likes For bigredgrad01:
Old 12-11-21, 06:10 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
And this is why you change your bar tape every 2-3 months kids.
Or take it off and wash it to get the salt out. Actually not a bad idea to frequently "hand squeegee" your bar tape with fresh water on a regular basis when you're sweating heavily on rides. Once the salt gets into the tiny holes in the bar coating, not much can stop the rapid corrosion of the aluminum.
Old 12-11-21, 06:12 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Another reason for carbon fiber handlebar.
Yup. Back in the day of anodized aluminum bars, this was not much of an issue. When the market switched to coated aluminum, the barrier to salt was greatly reduced. Those bars lasted me 40-50K miles. Carbon fiber bars are a solution.
Old 12-11-21, 06:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Man, and I always assumed the Tri-Bikes have a lot of corrosion due to the urine. Who knew it was their sweat!
Depends on where on the bike the corrosion is. Now if this thread had a corroded through seat post... Andy
Old 12-11-21, 06:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Titanium bars, stem, bolts, frame, and everything else you can manage might help.

As long as the TI doesn't touch either carbon or Al. At least hack saw slicing a carbon part to get it out of a frame is easier than an Al part. Andy
Old 12-12-21, 08:03 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As long as the TI doesn't touch either carbon or Al. At least hack saw slicing a carbon part to get it out of a frame is easier than an Al part. Andy
I have a lot more knowledge about rusting permanent hardware on sea cliff climbing than bicycle corrosion.

The long and the short of it is that titanium simply doesn’t exhibit the corrosion you see with aluminum or even higher quality stainless steel. No stress crack corrosion and no galvanic corrosion. Also why you see titanium as the main metal used in orthopedic implants.

Its more than salt and air. The minerals dissolved in wet limestone, plus sun, salt, and heat are quite effective together.

So what can be done about a “Florida bike”
Ideally I think a 1 piece carbon bar and stem combo. Otherwise, a carbon bar with titanium stem (use plenty of ti prep) should help. I would worry that brake clomps would become a sacrificial anode in that setup.

What about prevention? Headband, wristbands, and a huge fan indoors.
Old 12-12-21, 06:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

rosefarts- I find that you are correct, I think what I am remembering is corrosion of the non Ti part, like seat posts, in a Ti frame. In NC we removed more then a few "welded" in place from various bikes of non steel construction. We saw a lot of bikes that spent a lot of time on the coast that were hard to deal with. Andy
Old 12-13-21, 11:40 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
rosefarts- I find that you are correct, I think what I am remembering is corrosion of the non Ti part, like seat posts, in a Ti frame. In NC we removed more then a few "welded" in place from various bikes of non steel construction.
The problem is that Ti has a tendency to self-weld when you clamp two pieces of Ti together.
Whereas my understanding is that Ti does not have a big problem with galvanic corrosion with other metals.
Old 12-13-21, 12:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Sometimes I have mechanics suggest new tape and don't always explain why other than it looks bad, I go in and explain to the customer it is more to inspect the bars underneath and great rid of the old sweat logged stuff so we can give you a safer ride. Some people still reject but most will go for it when they understand the safety aspect. Sweat is nasty stuff that serves a very important purpose to the body but not so good soaked into your bars via your groady tape. Certainly yes washing bars can help a bit but I would just replace tape at least once a year depending on various factors but I think during the annual tune up is a good time to refresh everything and get it ready for the next riding season or for continued riding because you don't stop.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-13-21, 04:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
rosefarts- I find that you are correct, I think what I am remembering is corrosion of the non Ti part, like seat posts, in a Ti frame. In NC we removed more then a few "welded" in place from various bikes of non steel construction. We saw a lot of bikes that spent a lot of time on the coast that were hard to deal with. Andy
The “welding” of seatposts and other parts is less about galvanic action between the two metals than it is about corrosion of each metal. Aluminum, for example, can react along crystallite boundaries without being in contact with other metals. All that is needed is the salt. With aluminum and steel, it’s also not galvanic action that is the main cause of the “welding”. Both steel and aluminum react with salt and make an oxide. The oxide of both is of a lower density and larger volume which is what causes the binding of the parts together.

Titanium, as well as aluminum, have what is called a high stacking fault energy which means, essentially, the atomic crystalline structure has lots of faults that can catch when the metal slides on a surface. In threads, either material can break off bits that jam the threads. Add in a bit of corrosion of the aluminum and things go south quickly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!