Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

the easiest tool to change a tire that I have seen.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

the easiest tool to change a tire that I have seen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 01:49 AM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
I've been riding and fixing punctures for over 5 decades.

I've seen "wonder tools" come and go.

Riding alone at night with no rescue back up still causes me tyre change anxiety. I laugh at the promotional video demos done in warm laboratories and clean, dry hands - failing to make a quick tube change if needed (yes, including on a tubeless setup) on a freezing cold night can be life or death.

My solution has always been to match tyres and rims. If the tyre doesn't fit, it goes back for a refund. I've rejected rims that are known to be oversize too.

You figure out what goes with what and it doesn't require having to settle for an inferior tyre or rim.

For years I've used the blue plastic Park Tool levers with no problems or nocturnal night ride panics.

Last edited by Groasters; 02-13-22 at 01:14 AM.
Likes For Groasters:
Old 02-12-22, 05:06 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I have this and didn't find it all that useful.

This tool has been great thoughkool stop

Kool Stop is a great tool, but it's over 8 inches long which means you can't put it in a seat bag and take it on the road, unlike the VAR which is the exact same thing just smaller and fits neatly into most seat bags, and it works the exact same way. So the Kool Stop is only useful at home, and it does provide more leverage which could be useful for a weaker individual, but I haven't had an issue with the VAR not having enough leverage.
Old 02-12-22, 11:41 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
yes I doubt one tool will do everything. though we always hope for that magical tool.
It just occurred to me as I read your hope for the magical tool - CREDIT CARD. Although it might be limited in the field!
Old 02-13-22, 09:24 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
It just occurred to me as I read your hope for the magical tool - CREDIT CARD. Although it might be limited in the field!
I tested it on the two tires I use before its needed. thats miracle on my part its-self.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-14-22, 03:30 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
I saw the Tyre Glider on YouTube last week with an interview with the Welsh inventor and boy did that make me curious.

Being in the States, I won't be getting one anytime soon.

I used to carry a Kool Stop bead wrench on road tandem tours, but never really needed it. But it does come in handy in the garage.

So, I'm a mountain biker primarily, and tubeless tires are considerable challenges at times. It is not usual for beads to be almost glued to the rim, making the difficult to remove.
I have yet to see a tool to help unseat a stuck bead.

​​​​​​Mountain bikers need a larger version of the Kool Stop bead jack. I have to wonder if there is a motorcycle tire tool that would be good to have in the garage.

Over the years I have learned techniques to deal with mountain bike tires. However there is some strength required a many situations.

I do use steel core tire levers all the time.

Thanks to the posters sharing their real experience and reviews of the Tire Glider.
Old 02-14-22, 11:47 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
I saw the Tyre Glider on YouTube last week with an interview with the Welsh inventor and boy did that make me curious.

Being in the States, I won't be getting one anytime soon.

I used to carry a Kool Stop bead wrench on road tandem tours, but never really needed it. But it does come in handy in the garage.

So, I'm a mountain biker primarily, and tubeless tires are considerable challenges at times. It is not usual for beads to be almost glued to the rim, making the difficult to remove.
I have yet to see a tool to help unseat a stuck bead.

​​​​​​Mountain bikers need a larger version of the Kool Stop bead jack. I have to wonder if there is a motorcycle tire tool that would be good to have in the garage.

Over the years I have learned techniques to deal with mountain bike tires. However there is some strength required a many situations.

I do use steel core tire levers all the time.

Thanks to the posters sharing their real experience and reviews of the Tire Glider.
There is a tool for stuck on beads, it's called a C clamp! cheap and readily available anywhere tools are sold. You just put the C clamp over the tire and start tightening it down, making sure not to damage the rim of course, and as that clamp starts to close up that tire bead will pop off.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-14-22, 12:17 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
There is a tool for stuck on beads, it's called a C clamp! cheap and readily available anywhere tools are sold. You just put the C clamp over the tire and start tightening it down, making sure not to damage the rim of course, and as that clamp starts to close up that tire bead will pop off.
Good point. I've used channel locks and blocks of wood, but my favorite is stepping on the tire.
Old 02-16-22, 11:12 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
So I really want to try one of these, but shipping to the USA at $21 was high.

Here https://tyreglider.co.uk not only were they $14ea but shipping is fixed at $15.

So I popped for Ten of them, making them $15.50ea shipped.
Let's see if the USPS charges me any duty, but I suspect not.

Barry

Edit: Got asked “why ten?”… kept two and sold the rest to my local ride buddies at cost.

Last edited by Barry2; 02-17-22 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 07:13 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
So I really want to try one of these, but shipping to the USA at $21 was high.

Here https://tyreglider.co.uk not only were they $14ea but shipping is fixed at $15.

So I popped for Ten of them, making them $15.50ea shipped.
Let's see if the USPS charges me any duty, but I suspect not.

Barry
there you go. I wished I bought two more but I wanted to know how well they worked first.
Old 02-16-22, 10:26 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Kool Stop is a great tool, but it's over 8 inches long which means you can't put it in a seat bag and take it on the road, unlike the VAR which is the exact same thing just smaller and fits neatly into most seat bags, and it works the exact same way. So the Kool Stop is only useful at home, and it does provide more leverage which could be useful for a weaker individual, but I haven't had an issue with the VAR not having enough leverage.
This will mark me as maybe a bit too fussy, but I cut the handle off a Kool Stop tool, for my seat bag. That was before I got a VAR, but the VAR is with a different bike.
Old 02-19-22, 10:58 AM
morecommas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thread with lots of good suggestions.

For removing tough tires, one thing I do is try to sneak some detergent under the bead of the tire (which I've lifted off with a standard tire lever). This helps slide the tool down the rim.
Old 02-19-22, 11:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
This will mark me as maybe a bit too fussy, but I cut the handle off a Kool Stop tool, for my seat bag. That was before I got a VAR, but the VAR is with a different bike.
Not too fussy for me. I have a VAR in the bag on my road bike and cut down the handle of a Tire Jack for my mtb bag.

I think the Tire Jack works better for wider tires than the VAR.

John
Old 02-19-22, 11:51 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Kool Stop is a great tool, but it's over 8 inches long which means you can't put it in a seat bag and take it on the road.
Fits in my Custom Cycle Fitments seat bag just fine.

Soured a bit on the VAR when the interior tire lever snapped lifting off a bead, where Pedros did the job just fine. Suggest VAR mold the inner tire lever out of a different polymer than the tire jack.
Old 02-20-22, 08:47 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I'm going back to tubulars this year. So much easier to deal with and I like the ride. And I get to carry a spare under my my saddle, always a good look.
Old 02-23-22, 09:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I got mine recently and tried it on a Continental at the co-op last night. I’m less then impressed. The tire was one that was just sitting around the shop. First, the tool was difficult to get under the bead. It was too wide and would catch the bead on one corner but not on the whole ledge of the tool. When it did eventually catch the whole edge, there is too much of the bead to effectively push the bead over the edge of the rim. The tool is also too short to provide enough leverage. I did manage to get the bead up and over the rim with a lot of struggling but that was only the beginning of problem.

Once the bead is over the rim, the tool has too small an area to push on to actually move it. It also tended to slip off the tool and resulted in several somewhat painful knuckle blows to the rim. I did eventually get the tool to move but it dug into my hand somewhat painfully so now my knuckles and palm hurt. And the “movement” was maybe an inch before the tool slipped, again, and smashed my knuckles into the rim again.

I never did get the tire off. Ten to 15 minutes of work, smashed knuckles, bruised palm, and the tire is still on the rim. I’m not terribly impressed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!