Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

6 bolt and center lock compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-08-22, 10:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

I'm thinking of building some new wheels for my wife's bike. I noticed that for the kind of hub she needs, a center lock hub is a little cheaper than 6 bolt. My question is: Will the disc be in the same position as on her old rear wheel, so that she can swap wheels without too much fuss? Or will she need to re-position the rear brake? Any other pitfalls that I need to know about?
Old 04-08-22, 10:58 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
>Will the disc be in the same position as on her old rear wheel, so that she can swap wheels without too much fuss? Or will she need to re-position the rear brake?

Should be very close or the same. You may (or may not) have to reposition the caliper slightly. Same goes for a new 6 bolt hub anyway.

FYI there are adapters for converting 6-bolt discs to centerlock.
Old 04-09-22, 08:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Perhaps the centerlock hub will be cheaper but I believe centerlock rotors are typically more expensive than 6-bolt for equal quality.
Old 04-09-22, 09:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm thinking of building some new wheels for my wife's bike. I noticed that for the kind of hub she needs, a center lock hub is a little cheaper than 6 bolt. My question is: Will the disc be in the same position as on her old rear wheel, so that she can swap wheels without too much fuss? Or will she need to re-position the rear brake? Any other pitfalls that I need to know about?
Even if the new wheels were 6-bolt, she still might have to fiddle with the calipers when switching wheels, so I wouldn't base your wheel decision on that. But in theory, both 6-bolt and Center Lock place the rotor the same distance from the hub. If the 6-bolt rotor is slightly inboard compared to the Center Lock rotor, you could conceivably shim the 6-bolt, but not the other way around. Even then, the odds of getting both wheelset's rotors lined up exactly the same is remote. The good news is that making the necessary caliper adjustments will quickly become a two-minute operation with practice.

Hope this helps.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-09-22, 09:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I use two very thin shims under my 6-bolt rotor to make it equivalent to the center-lock rotor on another rear wheel. The front wheels are interchangeable with no shims.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-10-22, 05:56 AM
richosti

Bikes: 1974 peugeot noveau folding (restored), 2016 polygon helios a9x, vivente world randonneur patagonia, merida e one twenty 500, new unidentified steel frame??

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It should be similar but even with 2 of the same wheels you may need a little caliper adjust.
Old 04-11-22, 08:45 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Thanks, all!
Old 04-12-22, 03:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
They make shims to adjust minor differences so wheels can be swapped without fiddling with the caliper. I ordered a set of 4 with my centerlock wheel/hub thinking they might be hub-specific, but looking at them, they're certainly generic. You just need centerlock shims or 6 bolt shims. Search for shims online and look at Youtube for info on this sort of thing.