Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 11:55 PM
Ablaut
Latvietis

Bikes: '86 Serotta Nova, '77 Schwinn SLT 12.2, '73 Fuji SSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
Swedish made Mustang (1985). Decent tourer equipped with 12-sp Tourney system. Frame by Miki/Sakai (63 cm). The bar is newly built. Brooks handles. "invisable" SKS mudguards. I´m still looking for a front rack...and a Brooks front bag.
Looks great, javal! Is that a Cinelli/UnicaNitor saddle? If so, how do you like it?
Old 04-17-09, 03:06 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ablaut; no, its a Kashimax Super Pro. The Kashimax saddles were standard on high end swedish race bikes from mid/late 70´s when they replaced the Ideale choice (see pic). Originally and incidentelly, the Mustang had a Kashimax Sports saddle, but the Super Pro is really enjoyable on longer but slower rides. I have friends whom dislike the "Kashimax-feeling".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PC200323.jpg (96.5 KB, 544 views)
Old 04-17-09, 06:20 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by javal
Ablaut; no, its a Kashimax Super Pro. The Kashimax saddles were standard on high end swedish race bikes from mid/late 70´s when they replaced the Ideale choice (see pic). Originally and incidentelly, the Mustang had a Kashimax Sports saddle, but the Super Pro is really enjoyable on longer but slower rides. I have friends whom dislike the "Kashimax-feeling".
For those of you who weren't into BMX, Kashimax saddles were the saddle of choice on all top end bikes in the late 70s/early 80s. Plastic, no covering. The Kashimax Aero was the coolest.

REALLY nice looking bike, btw!

Last edited by bibliobob; 04-17-09 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 06:56 PM
Bruce Enns

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is my 1981 Miyata 1000. I just finished a complete rebuild last month and I'm needing my VO fenders as of yet. I also need a handlebar bag, a set of lights and some Kool Stop pads for the NOS Suntour XC Pro canti's I put on her.
I've also got a set of 4 NOS Madden panniers for her, buzzards and baby buzzards.
Attached Images
New Saddle.jpg (98.5 KB, 668 views)
Likes For Bruce Enns:
Old 04-18-09, 06:18 PM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moki
'74 Herse. Not mine. Not by a longshot.

This Mariposa, however, is. krap photo, great bike.

Rideable, but it's still a major project. Needs a repaint in the worst way. Fenders, too. The front is inly a single, because I haven't been able to find a cheap BB with a long enough spindle for the Gipiemme cranks. Phil Wood, one of these years.

One of the coolest features of this bike is the intended generator / light setup. The second photo shows a braze-on for a QR switch for the generator. The generator is supposed to thread into the chainstay bridge. A cable would run up from the generator to the QR. The frame is also drilled to allow internal wiring, and there's a there's mount on the left fork leg. Tres Francais.
Anyone know what rear rack that is?
Old 04-18-09, 08:19 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
I was originally told this was an '83 Fuji America, but I guess it turns out to be an '81. The picture is as I received it and no work has been done yet, other than changing the chain, which may be original.

The B17 saddle had been swapped for an Avocet Touring I, barcons for stem shifters, Nitto Technomic stem for an unknown make/model, MKS Sylvan pedals for a make/model that escapes me at the moment, and Diacompe drilled brake levers swapped for "suicide" levers. Currently, I am looking to change the brake levers, pedals and stem to original models. I'll probably switch to downtube shifters, like all of my other bikes. I think I will keep the Avocet saddle. I'm surprise at how comfortable it is.

Originally, I thought I might like the stem shifters, but after a hard brake the other day, I can see why Sheldon Brown referred to them as a dull knife pointed at your groin.

Overall, I am very happy with this recent acquisition. The triple gearing was wonderful on my commute to work on Friday. The paint and decals are excellent. The Suntour Cyclone GT RD shifts beautifully. I have even been kicking myself for not bidding higher on an America that was posted on Ebay last week, if only for the components and a frame to resell.

Sorry about the shot of the pedal blocking the front derailleur.
Attached Images
Fuji America 4.jpg (97.8 KB, 602 views)
Fuji America 1.jpg (95.2 KB, 709 views)
Fuji America 2.jpg (97.1 KB, 593 views)

Last edited by beech333; 04-18-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 08:25 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
^^ That's a nice a bike! In great condition; well done.
Old 04-19-09, 09:06 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
^^ That's a nice a bike! In great condition; well done.
If you are talking about my Fuji, then thanks. I love it. Now, if only I can keep myself from contacting the guy in LA with the Opus.

I think that this bike sealed the deal that I have an obsession. 4 Bikes, all Fuji, 3 vintage, 2 bedroom apartment. The 2008 Newest will probably end up being sold and the America taking its place as the workhorse commuter. I've found that I hate aluminum bikes.
Old 04-19-09, 05:52 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well it is a touring bike, but not exactly the normal touring setup. So here are some current pics of my 83' Nishiki Seral turned fixed gear/rando bike. The plan for this bike is to get a SA S3X 3 speed fixed hub if they ever come out. I got tired of waiting so I have been riding it single fixed with a spare rear wheel. It is geared low for me so I can make the climb out of town on my work commute. I only decided on this fixed setup after I bought a non-vintage Surly LHT for touring and mostly commuting duties.

Old 04-19-09, 06:54 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
If you are talking about my Fuji, then thanks. I love it. Now, if only I can keep myself from contacting the guy in LA with the Opus.
I think that this bike sealed the deal that I have an obsession. 4 Bikes, all Fuji, 3 vintage, 2 bedroom apartment. The 2008 Newest will probably end up being sold and the America taking its place as the workhorse commuter. I've found that I hate aluminum bikes.
Yes, I was refering to your Fuji.

A lot of alloy frames have a harsh ride. I've found that only the Cannondale Caad 8, 9 have a nice ride for alloy. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't ridden to many other alloy frames.
Old 05-06-09, 06:50 AM
BRETT11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 Schwinn Passage

Dave what did you use for components to put this bike together?? I have the same frame.
Old 05-06-09, 08:59 AM
pwhallon

Bikes: 2009 Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot PX8M

I'm not sure if this would be considered a touring bike or a commuter.

I still wanted to share it.

I bought it at a garage sale last weekend.

1979-83 ish Peugeot PX8M. Restoration to begin shortly.

PW
Old 06-01-09, 10:16 PM
beeseecleta
beeseecleta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omg! i love that bike!!!!
Old 06-01-09, 10:51 PM
smorris 

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, another place to post my photos. Y'all are gonna get tired of seeing them...

1992 Bridgestone RB-T. I have a Blackburn rear rack and set of panniers for it, just not mounted.

A couple more and full size images here
Xtracycle conversion on 1997 KHS Summit X
Old 06-02-09, 05:36 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
My Trek 620 commuter

Got this as a frameset in trade with another BFer a year or so ago.

Brooks Pro, Stronglight headset, Nexus 7 hub, ugly (but free!) aero rims, Deore cantis, ugly modern stem, and flatbars. I feel sort of bad that this nice old frame has such ugly modern parts on it. But it works.

jim
Attached Images
Trek 620 in situ.jpg (99.8 KB, 653 views)
Old 06-02-09, 07:05 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Got this mid-range "foodge" for the price of a movie. Manufactured in November 1980.
Installed a "NOS" Pleitscher "rat trap" rear rack that came with it, and also a set of SKS fenders that I had on hand. I keep a set of Cannondale panniers, and a Karrimor pannier with a matching Cannondale handlebar bag that I can throw on when needed.
Attached Images
photoze 070.jpg (105.4 KB, 599 views)
Old 06-02-09, 07:39 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Got this as a frameset in trade with another BFer a year or so ago.

Brooks Pro, Stronglight headset, Nexus 7 hub, ugly (but free!) aero rims, Deore cantis, ugly modern stem, and flatbars. I feel sort of bad that this nice old frame has such ugly modern parts on it. But it works.

jim
Don't feel bad, if it works! Here's me a couple weekends ago on my 1982 Trek 720 as currently set up, which is pretty similar to yours. Nexus 8 hub, Sun CR-18 rims, flatbars with Origin-8 drop bar ends. I would like a better way to mount the Nexus shifter, but for the nonce, this will do.

(photo courtesy of Mr. Junkyardbike)
Old 06-02-09, 08:03 AM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Enns
Here is my 1981 Miyata 1000. I just finished a complete rebuild last month and I'm needing my VO fenders as of yet. I also need a handlebar bag, a set of lights and some Kool Stop pads for the NOS Suntour XC Pro canti's I put on her.
I've also got a set of 4 NOS Madden panniers for her, buzzards and baby buzzards.
Nice. 27" or 700c?
Old 06-02-09, 11:58 AM
screwdriver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricohman
I am in no way bashing the resto of this fine looking bike but the handle bar goes against what the design originally called for. Long distance comfort.
You could tour on a bar like that but I doubt you would.
You raise an interesting question. What does determine that a touring bicycle have a specific style handlebars?
Old 06-02-09, 09:49 PM
OldRoadman

Bikes: 82 Trek 613 Sport Touring, 84 Lotus Classique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Trek 1981 613 Frameset Sport Touring

Cyclone MKII group. Matrix Titan rims with 27 x 1/8 gumwalls. Sugino LP triple 48-38-28.
New Bottom Bracket and cables. Weinmann centerpulls. Hyperglide 6 speed.
This replaced my 2006 Trek 1500.
Happy to be back to Old School!!

Last edited by OldRoadman; 06-13-11 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Correct Model # / Pics moved!
Old 06-03-09, 03:16 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smorris
Cool, another place to post my photos. Y'all are gonna get tired of seeing them...

1992 Bridgestone RB-T...
Don't worry smorris... I for one will never tire of looking at it! That's really a stunning bike. A shame they are not still being built today! I love the look of those Schwalbe tires, too!

Here is a purchase I made less than 1 year ago. 1986 Schwinn Voyageur. It came with all original components in barely used condition. Looked like it was used for just one season and then put into storage. I goofed around with it a bit and used some components which I'd been saving for just such a build up. I also have a Gilles Berthoud chrome front rack (not shown) with arms which reach the mid-fork front rack bosses perfectly. I looked long and carefully for a touring bike frameset with vertical dropouts - which are perfect for mounting fenders and still easily removing wheels... Those always sensible French custom builders were using vertical dropouts on touring bikes since the late 1940s - probably even earlier.

You can see MANY photos - including details of all components (both original and new) HERE

My absolute favorite bike these days. It has everything I could ever want on a bike. I use it for rides of any length. Always a joy to just hop on it and ride anywhere!

My Voyageur as quickly built up 2 weeks after it's arrival.

See slightly larger photo here: HERE

I added:
Stem mounted Japanese bell with stainless steel headset bracket [Velo-Orange]
Stainless steel water bottles [Klean Kanteen]
Stainless steel bottle cages [Third a bit excessive - but it does get very hot and dry here]
Honjo "hammered" alloy fenders [modern Japanese copies of French "Le Martele" style by Lefol]
Cheap alloy rack (Ascent "basic") from Nashbar [fits perfectly and is very rigid]
Taillight on rack by VistaLite
Now has a new ASV model Zefal HPX-4 pump [accepts both Schrader & Presta valves automatically]
Original components still used ...
Cartridge bearing hubs [Sansin] 40 + 32 spokes
5-speed Shimano "Twist-tooth" freewheel [MF-Z012], silver finish, 14-26
Super Champion polished alloy model 58 rims, 27" [I have the same in 700c for when these tires die]
Dia-Compe model 981 Cantilevers [hidden adjustment slots drop the arms for 700C rims!]
Dia-compe pulley-type straddle wire carriers... with quick-release levers!
Shimano non-indexed shifters [SL-L422]
Tange chromed steel headset
SR Custom 90mm. stem
Other original components were now replaced here with:
Shimano 105 Triple rear derailleur (RD-5500)
Shimano Double front derailleur (FD-5500) [the logos easily removed leaving just shiny anodized alloy]
Specialites TA crankset - 49x32 rings [I can easily convert to a triple for serious Touring]
SRAM 8-speed chain
Lyotard model 460D pedals [always favorites, basis for the MKS Sylvan Touring pedals]
Nitto Randonneur handlebar 42 cm. [my favorite]
Shimano brake levers (BL-R600) [comfortable and clean looking]
SR/Sakae seatpost (model FS-P5), polished fluted alloy, from 1981 [my favorite posts... ever?]
Brooks Team Professional saddle
Likes For stronglight:
Old 06-03-09, 05:49 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
I was originally told this was an '83 Fuji America, but I guess it turns out to be an '81. The picture is as I received it and no work has been done yet, other than changing the chain, which may be original.
Man, that thing just looks fast. Very nice.
Old 06-03-09, 05:49 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
^^ Nice job on the Voyager. Just about perfect fender lines.
Old 06-03-09, 05:51 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
stronglight: How do you like those sport tops on those Kleen Kanteens? Do they work well?
Old 06-03-09, 06:13 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDL
stronglight: How do you like those sport tops on those Kleen Kanteens? Do they work well?
I like them a lot! They don't leak and never taste nasty. Unlike some of the linings used on aluminum bottles, stainless steel is not effected by acids in soft drinks and will never corrode. With these, you just pop up the drink spout tops like you would for those used on most plastic bottles. There is a tiny rubber vent plug on the top of the caps. You depress this to allow in air while you drink... otherwise you would just create suction with each swallow due to the rigid bottle construction and air/water tight caps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.