Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sugar doesn't hurt you - as long as you eat it in moderation

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Sugar doesn't hurt you - as long as you eat it in moderation

Old 07-31-16, 05:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Really? From Nutrition Facts on an unflavored Hammer Gel package:

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Water, Energy SmartŪ (Grape Juice, Rice Dextrin), Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (as a preservative), Salt, Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Alanine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Potassium Chloride.

Notice the 2nd most plentiful ingredient (disregarding water). I thought grape juice contains simple sugar, in particular, fructose. Silly me..

I myself don't even use any gels or energy drinks...I just used Hammer as a reference and example to show that even supplement companies will admit that refined sugars are unhealthy and yet many supplement companies continue to advocate their unhealthy products which are loaded with sugar. I seriously believe that energy gels provide only a placebo effect.
Old 07-31-16, 06:19 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
why hasn't anyone addressed the fact that these studies were sponsored by junk food companies?
Old 07-31-16, 07:52 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I myself don't even use any gels or energy drinks...I just used Hammer as a reference and example to show that even supplement companies will admit that refined sugars are unhealthy and yet many supplement companies continue to advocate their unhealthy products which are loaded with sugar. I seriously believe that energy gels provide only a placebo effect.
Placebo??? Guess that's why Tour riders have energy gels in their musette.
Old 07-31-16, 09:15 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince
Note the last ingredient, aka "third drug in the 'three drug cocktail' for executions by lethal injection". Nice
Oral potassium is not lethal. I give patients huge doses of oral potassium every day (it's part of an anti seizure medication, they can't live without it in many cases).

For potassium to be lethal, it has to be injected intravenously. It results in cardiac arrhythmias when given IV.
Old 08-01-16, 03:17 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
why hasn't anyone addressed the fact that these studies were sponsored by junk food companies?
Most food science is junk science. All around the world, it started in the 50's with the link between saturated fat and cardiovascular disease, which was a fraud, after that there was the link between eggs and cholesterol, which was just very bad science. And these days almost all research is somehow tied to the industry and the accepted methodology allows to get the desired results and call them scientific.

Watched a documentary last week, the makers decided they wanted to sell chocolate as good for weight loss, and just 'organized' the science to back that. No problem, they pulled it off, they didn't need any other fraud than the common methodology, it made headlines everywhere, because media won't check such a lovely story.
Old 08-01-16, 05:41 AM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Oral potassium is not lethal. I give patients huge doses of oral potassium every day (it's part of an anti seizure medication, they can't live without it in many cases).

For potassium to be lethal, it has to be injected intravenously. It results in cardiac arrhythmias when given IV.
Yes, also used to stop the heart for surgery. But the irony being its not something found naturally in real food. Why not potassium citrate?
Old 08-01-16, 07:12 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Yes, also used to stop the heart for surgery. But the irony being its not something found naturally in real food. Why not potassium citrate?
Dude, seriously. You are being very silly at this point.

Potassium is in food.
Chloride is in food.

KCl is a salt. When it hits your stomach, it breaks apart into potassium + chloride. Its then exactly the same as any other ingested form of potassium and chloride. There is nothing nefarious or unhealthy about it.

The more you sugar haters post, the more I realize how many of your conclusions are reached by reading stuff like this- an ingredient label listing KCl for example- and drawing very silly conclusions on the healthfulness of a product or food based on a lack of understanding of physiology, nutrition, biochemistry etc.

Of course engineered foods are not as ideal as whole foods in everyday life but some of these engineered foods have been developed for very specific cycling applications. If you ride recreationally all the time, you can probably meet all of your needs with real foods. If you race or otherwise push the envelope, train and need to recover, there's a place for some of these engineered foods.

Common sense generally rocks. Dogma (thought like "all sugar is bad for all people") is almost always just way too simplistic.
Old 08-01-16, 07:33 AM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, seriously. You are being very silly at this point.
No, silly is paying 2 bucks for a packet of chemicals when a packet of sugar costs 2 cents.
Old 08-01-16, 07:55 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

No, silly is paying 2 bucks for a packet of chemicals when a packet of sugar costs 2 cents.
I can totally appreciate not wanting to pay a premium for an engineered food. It's the exact reason that if I need to fuel close in time to a morning interval workout (because I want to fuel but I don't want to wake up at 2am to eat a normal high-carb but mixed macronutrient food that will take 2 hours to digest), that I'll eat a homemade rice cake- 100 cal, almost all carb, including sugar. I also don't want to spend $2 a day on engineered foods.

However on race day, I'll for sure spend the $2 on a gel because it's going to be absorbed way more quickly than my homemade rice cake.

If your argument against gels is the cost, fine. Make that argument. If your argument is that they contain sugar or potassium chloride, well sorry I just am not going to agree with you there. Those things are just pure positives in certain racing and training scenarios.
Old 08-01-16, 08:18 AM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your argument against gels is the cost, fine. Make that argument. If your argument is that they contain sugar or potassium chloride, well sorry I just am not going to agree with you there. Those things are just pure positives in certain racing and training scenarios.
I simply found it amusing. Of course I know that potassium chloride is not lethal in small doses, neither is the cyanide in your table salt or the tartrazine in your soft drink. But then its not exactly food either.
Old 08-01-16, 10:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cyanide is there in apple seeds.
Old 08-01-16, 10:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
But the main difference is that if you eat an apple you eat it with it's other contents, I've understood there's a mechanism that mitigates the effects on your body and is also the reason why fruit juice isn't as healthy for people with weight issues as eating whole fruit. If you buy any processed food, it's likely to contain added suger, whatever it is. Why put sugar in foods that traditionally didn't contain any?
Sounds like you're talking about the fiber in the apple. It slows digestion and the sugar in the apple doesn't hit you all at once.
Old 08-01-16, 10:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cyanide is there in apple seeds.

That's right and eating a cup of apple seeds or cherry seeds would be enough to kill a person or make them extremely sick.
Old 08-02-16, 02:00 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I simply found it amusing. r.
Don't worry, I find ALL your posts amusing. They're often so laughable. You're a great source of entertainment.
Old 08-02-16, 11:26 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sounds like you're talking about the fiber in the apple. It slows digestion and the sugar in the apple doesn't hit you all at once.
I don't know the mechanism(s) at work, but there's also the fact that you'd have to eat quite a lot of fruit to get the amounts of sugar in that you do by eating processed food.
Old 08-02-16, 12:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
You also have a serious problem understanding that other people's nutritional needs are different from yours.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-02-16, 12:47 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Sometimes I get scolded for drinking maple syrup straight from the bottle.
If I'm not supposed to drink honey, then why do Gatorade sport tops fit honey bottles?

Old 08-02-16, 07:22 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
If I'm not supposed to drink honey, then why do Gatorade sport tops fit honey bottles?
Just out of curiosity, what can you get though that top in gallons per hour?
Old 08-02-16, 08:41 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what can you get though that top in gallons per hour?
More than my body can metabolize.
Old 08-03-16, 05:51 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by KD5NRH

Honey promotes sleep and relaxation and is a terrible choice for fueling during exercise.
Old 08-03-16, 06:47 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Honey promotes sleep and relaxation and is a terrible choice for fueling during exercise.
Honey is mostly composed of sugars and thus is excellent fuel for exercise.

Your comment about promoting sleep may be referring to a drop in blood sugar after an insulin spike. This may happen when you're sitting around at home but it doesn't occur while exercising.
Old 08-03-16, 02:16 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Honey is mostly composed of sugars and thus is excellent fuel for exercise.
IIRC, raw, unfiltered honey is effectively just a mix of glucose and fructose, lightly seasoned with pollen.
Old 08-03-16, 06:04 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's processed honey, the pollen is gone, it's just fructose. Unfiltered honey, with the comb, is loaded with vitamins.