Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rotate hips forward = tilt nose of saddle down a bit?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-09-16, 04:46 PM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am trying to change my bike position on the saddle to get a little more comfort in my lower back. I in effect want to position my saddle so that my lower spine is "flatter". Do I tilt the nose down a bit to accomplish this?
Old 08-09-16, 04:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No, keep your saddle flat. Instead roll your pelvis forward. A down-pointed saddle throwsnyour weight onto your hands and unbalances you on the bike.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-09-16, 05:25 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
my take
based on your saddle (saddle shape/profile) the point of 'level' is best placed when you can ride comfortably without sliding forward AND can keep very light hand pressure and weight on the bars.
Lotta things affect this: core strength, upper body proportions (actually all body part/segment proportions), how meaty you are in the thighs and butt. Being able to 'weight' the bars is important, but should be something you can vary/adjust on purpose, like more weight on bars when descending... etc
the sitbones are not perfectly round. the more you rotate them (the pelvis) forward the higher you actually 'sit' (to a point).
So if you rotate the pelvis forward to get a 'flatter back', your ability to reach the pedals shortens slightly.
To compensate you drop the saddle a few mm... just a few mm. That will also give the equipment some more space. And the pelvis can more easily rotate forward. However, your lower/back/glut/hamstring flexibility has a significant effect on this whole thang.
That said, everyone has a different need for saddle 'tilt', level. Many of us can easily feel a difference of just 3 mm in saddle extension. I know a guy whose saddle tilt forward looks like an advanced slope at Mammoth. For the life of me, I don;t get how he can ride that way. But he does, for long distances and is a powerful rider. Maybe he has a limitation in hip rotation or some such issue which he doesn't talk about? who knows, he's not sayin... so much for theory and convention
Old 08-09-16, 05:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't. Sometimes I'll ride a bit rounded, sometimes really flat, just to change the nip on my butt on long rides. It's just different bones touching. If riding flat back bothers your goodies, you have the wrong saddle. It shouldn't be a problem with the proper saddle fit.
Old 08-09-16, 06:16 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe lower your saddle a little instead of tilt it down.

I agree with the other comments that rotating your pelvis forward comfortably is largely a matter of core strength.
Old 08-09-16, 06:32 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Your issues could also be fixed by going with a slightly longer stem. That would force you to bend and reach more, take weight off your hands and help you get aero.
Old 08-09-16, 06:34 PM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. After a quick 15 miles with a small adjustment, did not like it. Felt cramped and did not help my back. Wonder if I need to move the seat back just a bit as well? I have the core strength to maintain the position I am looking for, but thought maybe if I make adjustments it would just position me there instead... Think I will return to my normal position, flat, and just hold that position and see if it becomes more natural after a few rides. Was able to hold it for 50 miles this weekend and my back felt way better than normal. Was just looking for a quick fix.
Old 08-09-16, 06:46 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Rotating the pelvis forward does move you closer to the bars. Moving the seat back could be right. Only you can tell. More likely you need a longer stem.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 08-09-16 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-09-16, 08:58 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
When you rotate your hips forward, you'll want to slide your pelvis back a hair. It wouldn't surprise me if you need to move the saddle back ~5mm.
Old 08-10-16, 07:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I agree that, generally, tipping the saddle nose down doesn't solve anything, and that a combo of bar height, reach, saddle fore/aft position, and cleat placement is the key to finding comfort for the lower back.

Without seeing your position, it's hard to make reccos on anything, but if you think you've got that dialed in and think it's the saddle, perhaps one of the abbreviated nose styles, like Specialized Power or ISM may be worth a look.
Old 08-10-16, 07:14 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Work on your core strength. Your lower back will thank you. I don't know that lower back pain is much of a fit problem over muscle fatigue. Hard to say w/o seeing your current fit though.
Old 08-10-16, 10:09 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by denvertrout
I am trying to change my bike position on the saddle to get a little more comfort in my lower back. I in effect want to position my saddle so that my lower spine is "flatter". Do I tilt the nose down a bit to accomplish this?
No, just reach down and pull up on the man parts a little to keep it out of the way. Women don't have this problem which is why they can reach a lower position.
Old 08-10-16, 10:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Rotating the pelvis forward does move you closer to the bars. Moving the seat back could be right. Only you can tell. More likely you need a longer stem.
That's the key. I know it worked for me. That said, I suggest moving out in increments, i.e. go from 100 to 110 then to 120. Borrow stems if you can.
Old 08-10-16, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Backwards thinking , Maybe you are Just not going to be comfortable bending over so Low, Ever.

Level the saddle, Round your back to keep your hips upright so you dont put excess pressure on
Your Soft crotch fleshy bits..

and You Don't put excess pressure , constantly using your Hands to push your butt constantly up the sloping saddle.
Old 08-10-16, 11:34 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Or bend the elbows more if your core can sustain it.
Old 08-10-16, 07:19 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Tilting seat down may throw you froward, to keep yourself from falling off. You might try raising the tilt and riding with the equipment on one side or the other. Of course, that'll put a lot of pressure on a small part of your soft tissue - but a lot of people ride to the side.

Bending your lower back sounds like a recipe for developing lower back pain, perhaps down the line, if not immediately. I've suffered from sciatic pain in the past, but not since I started rolling my pelvis forward.

I haven't solved the problem of perineal numbness, though. A number of vendors say they have: ISM, Selle SMP, Selle Italia, Selle Anatomica, Rido, Terry, any number of noseless saddle makers.... You may find https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...f-road-saddles to be interesting reading.

Last edited by philbob57; 08-10-16 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 08:22 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
That's the key. I know it worked for me. That said, I suggest moving out in increments, i.e. go from 100 to 110 then to 120. Borrow stems if you can.
Nowadays stems are so cheap on ebay, there is no reason to borrow them. You can resell them for about what you paid for them. Most of the stems on ebay are there exactly because they were bought just to test out for fit. Hardly used at all. There are plenty of old graphics FSA OS-99 alloy stems for around $20. Stupid light.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-11-16, 06:30 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Nowadays stems are so cheap on ebay, there is no reason to borrow them. You can resell them for about what you paid for them. Most of the stems on ebay are there exactly because they were bought just to test out for fit. Hardly used at all. There are plenty of old graphics FSA OS-99 alloy stems for around $20. Stupid light.
But why bother paying anything when I have a bunch of friends/teammates with a variety of stems lying around that I can borrow?
Old 08-11-16, 06:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
But why bother paying anything when I have a bunch of friends/teammates with a variety of stems lying around that I can borrow?
Excellent. I don't have any friends.

What is a teammate?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-11-16, 07:37 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The challenge in my experience is that it's an evolving process. You get it all set, the saddle, the tilt, reach, bending the elbows a bit, the back stretching out a little more and not so curved and it feels good. Then after enough miles your core strengthens and you loosen up a little more, and there you go again. Even changing back some of the things you set up to facilitate it in the first place, such as saddle tilt or stem length.

So I think you have to resolve yourself to periodic evaluations and adjustments, abandoning the idea of fit and forget or even following someone else's plan. I think the variables are all identified, but need to be implemented by feel, trained for awhile in a particular configuration, and then adjusted again. It's iterative.
Old 08-11-16, 07:46 AM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by denvertrout
OP - sorry if this suggestion has already been made in a previous post, but have you tried any basic home-fitting techniques yet? If not, that'd be the place to start. There are a lot of good vids on this, including