Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car-Free outings for otherwise car-heavies

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car-Free outings for otherwise car-heavies

Old 02-14-17, 06:43 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Months ???..that's nothing....My grandma spend 91 years without owning a car.
So what, My mother never had a drivers licence, doesn't mean she was never in a car, or used one quite regularly...
Old 02-15-17, 01:36 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

If a person starts a thread, that person can also delete a thread. It's the way Bikeforums is set up and it is a beautiful thing. You can do it too!

If I start a thread I do indeed have the right to delete it, and do not have to ask permission from anyone. I have exercised that right a few times in the past ... and I may very well use that right again in the future.
I think it stinks. I will think long and hard before I spend any time or care responding to "your" threads. (Which I'm certain will not bother you in the least.) Personally, I would never delete a thread I started as long as even one person had posted. I feel I have no right to destroy somebody's work, no matter how the forum is set up.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 02-15-17 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 01:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I think it stinks. I will think twice before I spend any time or care responding to "your" threads. (Which I'm certain will not bother you in the least.)
Anytime you want to clean up your threads ... you can delete them too. You just have to be the thread starter.

Saves the mods time and energy when a thread goes off the rails on the third post. Instead of bothering them, just delete the thread! Quick and easy!
Old 02-15-17, 01:54 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Anytime you want to clean up your threads ... you can delete them too. You just have to be the thread starter.

Saves the mods time and energy when a thread goes off the rails on the third post. Instead of bothering them, just delete the thread! Quick and easy!
IIRC, the thread you deleted had a lot more than three posts--more like several dozen, and many were long and thoughtful. But since you didn't agree with some of the content, I guess it needed to be "cleaned up." What a pity!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-15-17, 02:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

IIRC, the thread you deleted had a lot more than three posts--more like several dozen, and many were long and thoughtful. But since you didn't agree with some of the content, I guess it needed to be "cleaned up." What a pity!
Thread starters prerogative!

Anyway ... no big loss in that thread! Didn't seem like anyone was actually interested in the topic. After about a half dozen attempt to get the discussion back on topic, I figured ... why bother. *Click* *Click* ... and ... gone.

It's been gone a month now and you didn't even notice! Bet you can't even remember what the thread was about.

Last edited by Machka; 02-15-17 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 05:28 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I think that car-free outings for people in urban environments are pretty common. I know a number of people who I'd classify as "car heavy" who will almost always walk or bus to certain types of activities simply because it's much easier than driving, having to find (and pay for) parking, frees them to enjoy wine or a beer with a meal, etc.

A couple that we periodically meet for dinner will almost always arrive on foot. They live close enough to downtown that it's a natural thing for them to do even though they both own vehicles. We also occasionally get them out for a single day bike ride. These are very slow paced rides, typically taking in a lake or a beach, maybe a lunch stop somewhere but they are loads of fun.
Old 02-15-17, 05:34 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I think it stinks. I will think long and hard before I spend any time or care responding to "your" threads. (Which I'm certain will not bother you in the least.) Personally, I would never delete a thread I started as long as even one person had posted. I feel I have no right to destroy somebody's work, no matter how the forum is set up.
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread. On another forum I participate in you will occasionally have a thread starter ask a Mod to lock or delete a thread, but deletion is very rare unless there's been some abusive posts. Even then, normally the Mods lock the thread and delete the offensive messages, sometimes reopening it with a warning that anyone further abusing things will be suspended or completely banned.

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.
Old 02-15-17, 07:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by winston63
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread. On another forum I participate in you will occasionally have a thread starter ask a Mod to lock or delete a thread, but deletion is very rare unless there's been some abusive posts. Even then, normally the Mods lock the thread and delete the offensive messages, sometimes reopening it with a warning that anyone further abusing things will be suspended or completely banned.

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.
Thread starters have been able to delete their threads since I arrived here ... back in 2003. This is nothing new. And I'm not the only one who has done it. Ever noticed that a thread seems to have disappeared and wonder where it went? Well ... chances are the thread starter decided it wasn't that important, or wasn't worth the effort, or just simply got tired of the barrage of negativity, and deleted it.

Forums set up like this one have that option. I am on another forum where the mods have to be contacted to delete stuff, but they're pretty good about doing that.

And of course, you can delete whole conversations in Facebook too.
Old 02-15-17, 07:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Regarding walking everywhere, one day I'll have to take my phone with me at lunch and snap a few shots of the crowds out walking all over the place.
Old 02-15-17, 08:26 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Thread starters have been able to delete their threads since I arrived here ... back in 2003. This is nothing new. And I'm not the only one who has done it. Ever noticed that a thread seems to have disappeared and wonder where it went? Well ... chances are the thread starter decided it wasn't that important, or wasn't worth the effort, or just simply got tired of the barrage of negativity, and deleted it.

Forums set up like this one have that option. I am on another forum where the mods have to be contacted to delete stuff, but they're pretty good about doing that.

And of course, you can delete whole conversations in Facebook too.
Really? I can't even fix a spelling mistake once I press enter, as far as something like the "tittle"...
Old 02-15-17, 09:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Really? I can't even fix a spelling mistake once I press enter, as far as something like the "tittle"...
You can't fix the title, but you can delete the thread and recreate it with the correct title. A tip ... copy your text and paste it into notepad or something, then delete the thread, then recreate the thread with the correct title, then paste the text you copied into the body of the thread.

I've done that on several occasions over the years with the Weekend Rides threads I've created ... accidentally got the wrong date or something ... delete it ... recreate it ... and voila! All good.

Sort of seems to me that the first time I discovered the ability to delete was back in ... oh ... um ... 2004 or 2005 or something and I tried to create a poll, but ended up with two threads. Joe owned the forum back then, and I think he was the one who told me I could just go in and delete the one I didn't want.
Old 02-16-17, 08:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I recall a fairly recent thread,perhaps started by you, Machka, asking how do you sell an LCF/LCL lifestyle (ingeneral), but to my dismay I couldn’t find it...
You're right, I did start a thread likethat.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it.
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out…I think this is outrageous. …
Originally Posted by winston63
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread…

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a threadstarter can just delete someone's contribution at will.
Thread starters have been able to delete their threads since I arrived here ... back in 2003. This is nothing new. And I'm not the only one who has done it. Ever noticed that a thread seems to have disappeared and wonder where it went? Well ... chances are the threadstarter decided it wasn't that important, or wasn't worth the effort, or just simply got tired of the barrage of negativity, and deleted it. ….
I was dismayed, not outraged (actually frustrated) that I couldn’t find that thread, knowing it just had to be there. I have posted about my most usual reason to look for an old thread:
…So with my experiences in cycling, andmy frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic,written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post…
I know you [@Machka] are the forum historian or archivist,but I think you should not discourage those who are willing to do the heavylifting, such as starting new threads. After all, sometimes fresh meat is preferable to digging up some old fossil.

I only very rarely can’t find a thread; that was the first one in a long time. As noted previously on this current thread, one thread that I cite occasionally, "How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face," was actually closed because it became so hostile, but is still online.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-16-17 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 01:20 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

The thread starter is only one of several "authors" of the thread. Other people have put thought, time, energy into responding th the thread started by one person. To delete another person's work is reprehensible. Delete your own posts if you like, Machka, but please do not delete any of mine.

Personally, I have started many threads went off into directions that I never anticipated. That can be frustrating, but it can also be enlightening and informative. If Machka takes no pleasure in the responses that the rest of us post, I suggest that she switch over to blogging. She could turn off her blog's comment section, and then she would never be bothered by people who disagree or just see things a little differently.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-17-17, 01:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

The thread starter is only one of several "authors" of the thread. Other people have put thought, time, energy into responding th the thread started by one person. To delete another person's work is reprehensible. Delete your own posts if you like, Machka, but please do not delete any of mine.

Personally, I have started many threads went off into directions that I never anticipated. That can be frustrating, but it can also be enlightening and informative. If Machka takes no pleasure in the responses that the rest of us post, I suggest that she switch over to blogging. She could turn off her blog's comment section, and then she would never be bothered by people who disagree or just see things a little differently.
Old 02-17-17, 03:13 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

Do you say these sorts of things to forum moderators when they delete threads that you have posted in? I almost get the impression that you are a control freak who doesn't like the idea of someone else taking over that control.

I will be blunt. I don't even remember what you posted. That is how important it was.
Old 02-17-17, 07:15 AM
Jim from Boston

The thread starter is only one of several "authors" of the thread. Other people have put thought, time, energy into responding to the thread started by one person…
Originally Posted by Rowan
…I will be blunt. I don't even remember what you posted.That is how important it was.
I have posted about my most usual reason to look for an old thread:
…So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post…
…After all, sometimes fresh meat is preferable to digging up some old fossil.
So if may pose this question, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads? I would assume that any useful information would be utilized soon after reading. Early on after joining Bike Forums I copied and filed a few posts for their content and style, but not for years.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Ugh, I gotta tell you Jim, this is the first post of yours that I've read in a long time. Usually I see your historical narratives and think: Ain’t Nobody Got Time for That
Originally Posted by alan s
You do realize that once this is out of the top 5 threads, no one will read it, and after it drops off the first page, it is ancient history. Good luck keeping it active and getting anything useful out of it.
On a thread back in 2013 on the Fifty-Plus Forum, "How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face," that was actually closed because it became so hostile, was a quote,
Forums for me are just like fast food. If I want something healthy, I'll read some good fiction.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-17-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 01:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Do you say these sorts of things to forum moderators when they delete threads that you have posted in? I almost get the impression that you are a control freak who doesn't like the idea of someone else taking over that control.

I will be blunt. I don't even remember what you posted. That is how important it was.
It has nothing to do with control. But I sometimes spend time, maybe even do a little research before composing my response to a thread. Machka and the moderators never notified me and never asked for my permission to trash my work, so I had no way of telling them about it.

And now we'll never be able to find out what I (or yourself) wrote on that thread because Machka basically crumpled it up and threw it in the trash can.

She just didn't think people were responding appropriately to "her" thread. Instead of asking them to respond differently, she threw away the work that several people had spent time on. Very low class, IMO.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-20-17, 01:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

It has nothing to do with control. But I sometimes spend time, maybe even do a little research before composing my response to a thread. Machka and the moderators never notified me and never asked for my permission to trash my work, so I had no way of telling them about it.

And now we'll never be able to find out what I (or yourself) wrote on that thread because Machka basically crumpled it up and threw it in the trash can.

She just didn't think people were responding appropriately to "her" thread. Instead of asking them to respond differently, she threw away the work that several people had spent time on. Very low class, IMO.

What did you write? Do you remember?
What was the topic of the thread? Do you remember?
Do you remember how many times I asked people to respond differently?

Listen, I know you're just kidding around, but on the off-chance you're actually serious (couldn't be ... but who knows) you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost. And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it.
Old 02-20-17, 01:45 AM
Rowan

You take this way more seriously than it (and you) deserves. Consider the discussions here as like being in a pub bar... the conversations come and go, and disappear mostly immediately they are said, rather like your posting in that thread. Some are a little more memorable and stick in people's minds.

Perhaps you can reiterate what you wrote in that thread so the people reading this one can judge for themselves whether you are justified in your overstated pique.
Old 02-20-17, 02:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

What did you write? Do you remember?
Do you remember how many times I asked people to respond differently?

Listen, I know you're just kidding around, but on the off-chance you're actually serious (couldn't be ... but who knows) you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost. And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it.
I am serious. I'm disappointed that you would take it upon yourself to delete content that was authored by others. That's just wrong. And your snarky remarks do nothing to make it seem right, although these mean comments fit in with your general lack of respect for other members of this forum.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-20-17, 02:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

You take this way more seriously than it (and you) deserves. Consider the discussions here as like being in a pub bar... the conversations come and go, and disappear mostly immediately they are said, rather like your posting in that thread. Some are a little more memorable and stick in people's minds.

Perhaps you can reiterate what you wrote in that thread so the people reading this one can judge for themselves whether you are justified in your overstated pique.
No, I will not be wasting my time to post long comments to threads "owned" by Machka. She might just delete them, so why bother to write them in the first place?

The point isn't to take posts too seriously, it is to acknowledge that there is something of worth here occasionally, and it should not be randomly deleted by one person with an axe to grind.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-20-17, 03:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

No, I will not be wasting my time to post long comments to threads "owned" by Machka. She might just delete them, so why bother to write them in the first place?
Excellent!

And just remember that any of us can delete our own threads. Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says ... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses. However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired.

Now do you think you can stop being rude ... stop hijacking this thread with your petty complaints?

-------------------------

BTW - if you want some of your Words of Wisdom back, here you go ... I quote Roody ...

"I don't know that being positive is necessarily the best way to sell LCF. Maybe some negative stuff would work better? Point out the bad things about driving...it's expensive, it's boring, it's dangerous, etc. "

Do you even remember writing that? Probably not.

Last edited by Machka; 02-20-17 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 04:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by tandempower
Often, we go out for car-free outings on weekends, because those are the days long enough and where bedtime is flexible enough to allow for long walks and bike rides. Although we LCF, it occurred to me that you don't have to 'be' LCF or car-light to take car-free outings, especially on weekends. Likewise, we often see other people taking walks and bike-rides on the MUPs, and many of them may not 'be' car-free or car-light.

So this thread is about the appeal of car-free outings for people who otherwise have no interest in LCF or LCL. Clearly there are health-benefits and fun to be had by walking or biking to go out, go shopping, or go to a restaurant. Going out to eat, especially, is better car-free because the walk or bike-ride to and from the restaurant stimulates the appetite and helps with digestion.

Do you think many people recognize and/or seek and engage in car-free outings who otherwise have no interest in LCF/LCL? If so, they probably wouldn't be reading and participating in this web forum (or would they?). What other outings/activities are better car-free and why? How could car-free outings be promoted/marketed as a benefit to healthy and fun living?

E.g. Could restaurants or other businesses promote their meals or other products as being better as part of a car-free outing? McDonalds, for example, has traditionally promoted its food as part of a family-fun lifestyle, so maybe McDonalds TV ads could feature people strapping on their hiking/walking shoes while talking about what foods they're going to enjoy when they arrive. Someone could boast that they're going to get a large order of fries or a desert because they're going to burn the extra calories on the jog home, etc.

What do you think about this topic of car-free outings regardless of LCF/LCL status/interest? Is there a market for people to go out without driving for specific reasons, or are people who are totally comfortable with driving everywhere going to avoid car-free outings simply because they see it as a waste of time?

One of the things Bicycle Tasmania does is to offer Valet Parking at events ... Valet Bicycle Parking.

Valet Parking - Bicycle Tasmania
Old 02-20-17, 04:52 AM
Rowan

The point isn't to take posts too seriously, it is to acknowledge that there is something of worth here occasionally, and it should not be randomly deleted by one person with an axe to grind.
The axes weren't being ground by Machka.
Old 02-20-17, 09:56 AM
Jim from Boston

My last post to this thread was 2/17, and the thread lay dormant for three days until it erupted today, without reference to my post. But that’s OK. As I have written previously,
… what I have gotten directly from BF [include] the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
It seems that I innocently started the brouhaha on this current thread, when I wrote:
I recall a fairly recent thread, perhaps started by you,Machka, asking how do you sell an LCF/LCL lifestyle (in general), but to my dismay I couldn’t find it…
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it.
I was dismayed, not outraged (actually frustrated) that I couldn’t find that thread, knowing it just had to be there…I only very rarely can’t find a thread; that was the first one in a long time…

One thread that I cite occasionally, "How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face," was actually closed because it became so hostile, but is still online.
So since my last post, here is my summary of the discussion (sans snarkiness).
But I sometimes spend time, maybe even do a little research before composing my response to a thread. Machka and the moderators never notified me and never asked for my permission to trash my work, so I had no way of telling them about it.

The point isn't to take posts too seriously, it is to acknowledge that there is something of worth here occasionally, and it should not be randomly deleted…

She just didn't think people were responding appropriately to "her" thread. Instead of asking them to respond differently, she threw away the work that several people had spent time on
…What did you write? Do you remember?
Do you remember how many times I asked people to respond differently?...

You do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost. And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe,5 years or 10 years…
You take this way more seriously than it (and you) deserves. Consider the discussions here as like being in a pub bar... the conversations come and go,and disappear mostly immediately they are said, rather like your posting in that thread. Some are a little more memorable and stick in people's minds.

Perhaps you can reiterate what you wrote in that thread so the people reading this one can judge for themselves...
I can’t remember much about the deleted thread, or even if I posted, but I do remember at least a couple of posts by Machka, asking the correspondents to get back on-subject. Straying from the OP seems hardly a reason to delete the thread though (I was going to cite a funny commentary on wandering threads, but the Joke and Humor subforum appears deleted )

I liked what Rowan wrote about the communications style on Bike Forums.
…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as opposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is becauseI consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather thenthe quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”
and as @alan s nicely perceived
Originally Posted by alan s
You do realize that once this is out of the top 5 threads, no one will read it, and after it drops off the first page, it is ancient history. Good luck keeping it active and getting anything useful out of it.
So I’d like to re-state that question that I asked on 2/17, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-20-17 at 10:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.