Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike fit question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike fit question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 04:04 AM
SDF15

Bikes: Vintage Camille Dardenne

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
78 inseam

Originally Posted by akirapuff
Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate the responses.

I have re-measured my inseam, took off all my clothes, went as far as I could with the book, and then got 78 cm. Im thinking now I might have measured my inseam wrong. 78x.883 I got 68.8. So center of BB to top of saddle currently measures 69 on the bike, so I think I will trust the fit and ride for awhile to see how it goes. Thank you kontact, I never thought that I have measured my inseam incorrectly.

I probably do look ridiculous with the 120mm stem he fitted me with, I will try to look into a bigger bike.

Thanks again everyone.
Hi I have the exact inseam as you and on 2 different bikes my saddle height might vary from 68 to 68,5 as I have my cleats positioned more behind my ball of the foot and different saddle shapes

cleat position, saddle fore aft, and saddle shape can make a huge difference in my opinion when adjusting saddle height. also take into consideration changing towards shorter cranks like 165mm

good luck with your fitting
Old 03-28-18, 12:41 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate the responses.

I have re-measured my inseam, took off all my clothes, went as far as I could with the book, and then got 78 cm. Im thinking now I might have measured my inseam wrong. 78x.883 I got 68.8. So center of BB to top of saddle currently measures 69 on the bike, so I think I will trust the fit and ride for awhile to see how it goes. Thank you kontact, I never thought that I have measured my inseam incorrectly.

I probably do look ridiculous with the 120mm stem he fitted me with, I will try to look into a bigger bike.

Thanks again everyone.
Glad to hear that you doublechecked the saddle height. As for the stem, I actually prefer 120mm (if possible depending on the virtual top tube length). I like being a little more over the front wheel and that's the stem length I have on the Ridley. I have a shorter stem on the Orbea (110mm maybe?) but it's a little bigger than the Ridley. One of the real questions for you would be if your bar height is ok or not. Smaller frames would force you to cut the fork longer and put more spacers beneath the stem. Or a little less spacers and flip the stem. I'm an older guy so can't do the big saddle to stem height differences anymore. Less flexability than when I was younger...

Last edited by ptempel; 03-28-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 02:43 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I've had multiple fits from Nate on several bikes. From time to time, I've made a minor adjustment to his numbers for comfort; saddle angle,etc. so it's not always perfect. I have also gone back to him weeks afterwards to handle an item, which he does for no additional charge. He is pretty good about taking care of his customers.
Old 03-29-18, 03:21 AM
akirapuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In your guy's opinion, do I look ridiculous riding this framesize?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1212.jpg (1.27 MB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg
20180328_212532.jpg (1.49 MB, 170 views)

Last edited by akirapuff; 03-29-18 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 04:19 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Why do you have a long 120mm stem and the seat all the way forward?
Old 03-29-18, 05:44 AM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take a look at https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/11/knee-pain/
And https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/

Interesting reads. Might be helpful for you.
Old 03-29-18, 10:01 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Ditto. The 49cm has a 75.5° seat tube angle (super steep) and the seat is far forward. There ought to be a reason why there is practically zero set back.
Old 03-29-18, 10:28 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
The fitter probably optimized the seat position first to accommodate thigh length, then went from there. A lot of great fits really put emphasis on this first. Just a guess.
Old 03-29-18, 10:44 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
The fitter probably optimized the seat position first to accommodate thigh length, then went from there. A lot of great fits really put emphasis on this first. Just a guess.
Thigh length variation doesn't move the saddle forward that much. Fairly large variations in thigh length will only move the seat position by about 1cm IF you are using KOPS.

And fitters don't use KOPS. There is no good fit reason to put someone on top of the crank on a road bike.
Old 03-29-18, 11:01 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by Kontact
Thigh length variation doesn't move the saddle forward that much. Fairly large variations in thigh length will only move the seat position by about 1cm IF you are using KOPS.

And fitters don't use KOPS. There is no good fit reason to put someone on top of the crank on a road bike.
KOPS not withstanding, there still must be a relative position. At least from the pics, I see a proportionally "short" thigh. This brings the saddle forward, unless it's offset by saddle height. I would rather see an optimized leg extension and this also is dependent on power output. I am going to trust the fitter on this one.

ETA- You also must consider saddle construction and placement of the rails, that particular saddle might have the rail terminate on the rear section farther forward than typical for instance. Also consider the seat post set back. Many variables here.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 03-29-18 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 11:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It looks a little small, but nothing ridiculous.
Old 03-29-18, 02:42 PM
Kontact 

KOPS not withstanding, there still must be a relative position. At least from the pics, I see a proportionally "short" thigh. This brings the saddle forward, unless it's offset by saddle height. I would rather see an optimized leg extension and this also is dependent on power output. I am going to trust the fitter on this one.

ETA- You also must consider saddle construction and placement of the rails, that particular saddle might have the rail terminate on the rear section farther forward than typical for instance. Also consider the seat post set back. Many variables here.
There's no functional reason someone with shorter thighs needs to sit further over the cranks. Set back is about the pelvis and upper body, not where your knee is moving.

We can see the saddle and seatpost construction - they aren't dimensionally odd. The seat is clamped toward the rear of the rails on a bike with a steep seat tube angle. It is very far forward, and the rider looks forward when seated.
Old 03-29-18, 04:12 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The fitter said he will put the seat far forward so i can sit toward back of the saddle. Now im doubting the fit again..
Old 03-29-18, 04:17 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any advice in what to do at this point greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-18, 04:23 PM
Kontact 

The fitter said he will put the seat far forward so i can sit toward back of the saddle. Now im doubting the fit again..
People usually sit on the back of the saddle and do so without putting the saddle well forward. During the fit, what did the fitter do that you recall to come up with your set back?

Do you have a bad back that requires you to sit up rather than bend from the waste?
Old 03-29-18, 04:26 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

There's no functional reason someone with shorter thighs needs to sit further over the cranks. Set back is about the pelvis and upper body, not where your knee is moving.

We can see the saddle and seatpost construction - they aren't dimensionally odd. The seat is clamped toward the rear of the rails on a bike with a steep seat tube angle. It is very far forward, and the rider looks forward when seated.
Those seat posts are known for their setback issues with some fits. I have one of those saddles at my office, and it measures 85mm to the center of upward rear curve of the rails (from rear of saddle), another modern saddle here measures 60mm. A HUGE difference.

I will call my buddy with one of those posts, I can guarantee that it has a setback of at least 20mm.

ETA- What am I smoking? I will wager 40mm plus!

It's the fourth installment of the trilogy. Zilcho usable rail space on the saddle, and set back of the seat post to rival an 80's BMX bike.

And I definitely disagree about the thigh length not being a factor in regards to fore/aft on the saddle relative to the pedal.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 03-29-18 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 04:29 PM
Kontact 

Those seat posts are known for their setback issues with some fits. I have one of those saddles at my office, and it measures 85mm to the center of upward rear curve (from rear of saddle), another modern saddle here measures 60mm. A HUGE difference.

I will call my buddy with one of those posts, I can guarantee that it has a setback of at least 20mm.
Standard post set back is 25mm.

If the saddle is longer from the back to where you sit on it (85mm), that would be a reason to have it mounted further back, not further forward.

Found it: 25mm set back.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cg...tpost/p/130709

Last edited by Kontact; 03-29-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 04:54 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Standard post set back is 25mm.

If the saddle is longer from the back to where you sit on it (85mm), that would be a reason to have it mounted further back, not further forward.

Found it: 25mm set back.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cg...tpost/p/130709
From the rear of the saddle to the rail curvature, not where you sit on it. If this distance was shorter, you would have the saddle in the exact same place, but it would appear that it wasn't "all the way to the back" of the rails, or in other words "all the way forward". It's merely appearance.

I will measure a post, 5 will get you 10 that Specialized uses the 25mm callout from post center to front of clamp assembly. I will measure from post center, to assembly pivot bolt (the correct method). I could be wrong, but I think it's merely an issue of appearance. The fitter is right IMO.
Old 03-29-18, 05:25 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The reason Nate stated he will move the saddle forward, was "so i can sit more toward back of the saddle".
Old 03-29-18, 05:31 PM
akirapuff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I imagined that, if im riding a smaller frame than what fits me, plus an upright seat tube would cause my saddle to move very back. Instead fitter did the opposite. Is my theory incorrect?
Old 03-29-18, 05:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,411 Times in 2,749 Posts
It doesn't look like the "clown" bikes we sometimes see here. You do seem pretty scrunched up (technical term.) How far can you comfortably ride it? If you haven't done significant mileage, you might want to start there, get a better idea what, if anything, doesn't suit you.
Old 03-29-18, 06:09 PM
denvertrout

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You don't mention how the new fit feels? Isn't that what all this is about? Go ride your bike and see how you feel on it. Give it some time and you will know if it is right for you or not. And if you paid someone to help with this, go ask them your questions. IF asking them in person is uncomfortable send them an email. I'm sure that person will be better able to answer your questions than strangers looking at one picture of you on the bike leaning against the wall.
Old 03-29-18, 06:14 PM
Kontact 

I imagined that, if im riding a smaller frame than what fits me, plus an upright seat tube would cause my saddle to move very back. Instead fitter did the opposite. Is my theory incorrect?
Correct.

A good fitter determines your set back based on your balancing your body between the cranks, saddle and bars. Generally that means that you create set back for hip angle and upper body balance, then select a stem length that gives you the appropriate reach to the bars from your correct saddle position.

No one here was at your fit session, but your description of your fit does not make it sound like the fitter did anything in particular to determine how far aft you should be sitting. Instead, it sounds passive, like he let you sit where you wanted and then moved the saddle to you. Given that the bike is small for you (but not ridiculous), you should have reach to spare.

I have a bike that I wanted to use a cool old stem, even though it was on the short side. So I pushed my saddle back further than normal for me, and that worked fine because extra set back generally just limits how much you can bend forward. And your small bike makes the same sort of situation possible. Yet you have the opposite.

Sitting too far forward generally puts more weight on your hands and the groin because it rotates your pelvis forward and unloads your hamstrings.
Old 03-29-18, 06:20 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle looks high to me. Knee angle appears to be about 150*/30*.
Old 03-29-18, 06:21 PM
Kontact 

From the rear of the saddle to the rail curvature, not where you sit on it. If this distance was shorter, you would have the saddle in the exact same place, but it would appear that it wasn't "all the way to the back" of the rails, or in other words "all the way forward". It's merely appearance.

I will measure a post, 5 will get you 10 that Specialized uses the 25mm callout from post center to front of clamp assembly. I will measure from post center, to assembly pivot bolt (the correct method). I could be wrong, but I think it's merely an issue of appearance. The fitter is right IMO.
Take a look at the picture. Not only is the saddle clamped nowhere near the forward section of the rails (where it normally would be with a 75.5° STA), but the saddle nose is 1cm behind the BB. It is an enormously forward saddle position for a road bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.