Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Strava segments?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long Strava segments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 09:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Long Strava segments?

Haven't really looked, but Saturday's ride had one 26 miles.
Old 09-11-18, 10:15 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Over here, I have seen people create segments out of popular ride routes, as well as entire events (e.g. sportives, charity rides, etc). For example this one:
https://www.strava.com/segments/10521886

...also the same route but also going back the way we came:
https://www.strava.com/segments/11898408

And those aren't the longest ones I've seen. People have made an entire audax brevet route a single segment, and those are at least 200km, if not significantly more.
Old 09-12-18, 01:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I suppose that if it means something to someone and is indeed part of a longer ride, segment length doesn’t matter.
Old 09-12-18, 03:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have a QOM on one that's 58.8 km long.
Old 09-12-18, 05:24 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I've seen a metric century as a segment a few times. There's also a popular century ride that has its own segment.
Old 09-12-18, 07:29 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
We have a few longer ones in town here from 10 to 30 miles. They have more traffic lights than miles so the game for them is not speed, but luck and learning the lights. The mile block intersections are usually timed for traffic and may change timing depending on time of day or get adjusted on occasion, but the mid-block intersections are triggered by cross traffic so that is where luck comes into play.
Old 09-12-18, 10:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
My gps(lezyne super gps) uploads to Strava, so I have to have an account.
I finally looked at it for the 2nd time ever as i just want to track overall miles each year.

oh my goodness I chuckled multiple times at how absurd it was.
I did a mixed surface ride-35mi total with half pavement and half gravel and 1600' of climb.
I mention this because Strava declared i had completed about 14 segments with half on pavement and half on gravel.
Some of the pavement segments were .2mi long from a totally unimportant part of a road to another totally unimportant part of a road.
None were over 1.5mi long.

its just so arbitrary.

I did understand why sone segments exist. Funny enough, the gravel segments made sense as they were from an intersection to another intersection. Or they were from a road crossing up to the top of a hill.

the pavement segments were just dumb. Funny dumb, but still dumb.

I wpuld love to see 4+mi segments. Thatd be neat. Sustained effort and whatnot.
Old 09-12-18, 01:41 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My gps(lezyne super gps) uploads to Strava, so I have to have an account.
I finally looked at it for the 2nd time ever as i just want to track overall miles each year.

oh my goodness I chuckled multiple times at how absurd it was.
I did a mixed surface ride-35mi total with half pavement and half gravel and 1600' of climb.
I mention this because Strava declared i had completed about 14 segments with half on pavement and half on gravel.
Some of the pavement segments were .2mi long from a totally unimportant part of a road to another totally unimportant part of a road.
None were over 1.5mi long.

its just so arbitrary.

I did understand why sone segments exist. Funny enough, the gravel segments made sense as they were from an intersection to another intersection. Or they were from a road crossing up to the top of a hill.

the pavement segments were just dumb. Funny dumb, but still dumb.

I wpuld love to see 4+mi segments. Thatd be neat. Sustained effort and whatnot.
The segments are all there because some Strava user made them. Anyone who rides a given stretch of road can make a segment there and make it as long or as short as they want. I've made a bunch over my favorite rides. They are like you describe: a memorable hill climb/descent, or a longer stretch either flat or rollers. If you want more 4+ mi segments, make them!

But, I agree, what is it that inspires people to make any tiny little sprint into a segment? more KOM chances? Whatever they like, I guess. I go and hide most of these little things since they clog up my screen when I ride certain areas. I've only made one very short segment that I can recall; it is on a particular turn at the bottom of a hill, on gravel. I wanted to see how fast the cool kids take that because I absolutely suck at cornering on anything loose.
Old 09-12-18, 02:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Strava also used to or or maybe still does auto generate segments.
Old 09-12-18, 03:20 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
There used to be a 74 mile segment around here, but looks like it is gone now. Only 2 people ever road it. A couple of 12-20 miles long out and backs that end in parking lots and have random turn around points did not make much sense until I realized it was triathletes. All of them are close to the local natatorium.
Old 09-12-18, 03:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Since I'm usually off on my own, I regularly alter my routes (or miss a turn, or add a rest stop, or something).

I'll probably create a few long segments if I can make some of general interest. For example, I'll eventually make the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway into a 130+ mile segment, each direction. The problem is that I usually take a few shortcuts, in part because I have about 50 more miles of riding at the ends of the route, and it just puts me over the top for daily riding.

One of my other issues is getting my "longest climb" stats up.

So, if I can ever get my miles up, I have a route planned to take me from about 400 feet to about 7800 feet. Perhaps you'll call foul, but it is a grueling route that takes me over 150 miles and a bunch of climbing (> 13,000 feet climbing total, to just get credit for the 7700 feet climb)

And, as I understand it, the only way to get the climbing to count is to define it as a long segment.

https://www.strava.com/routes/6229282

Unfortunately, the first time I did the ride, I was carrying too much cargo and came up a little bit short.

Plus, I've made some changes since the initial route planning. For example, I bumped into a bike path I wasn't aware of. So, I have to get my route reasonably well designed before crystallizing it.
Old 09-17-18, 07:56 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Strava also used to or or maybe still does auto generate segments.
I didn't know this. How does it generate the name? Some segment names are very interesting/silly while mine are just descriptive...
Old 09-17-18, 02:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I have a QOM on one that's 58.8 km long.
I have one that's 21.8 miles (35km). It's an out and back on a route I ride all the time and like to use it as a measuring stick.
Old 09-17-18, 07:27 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pardon the humblebragging (more like proud self-deprecation given the mostly lame positions behind the leader on prestige courses) but...
VeloViewer indicates the longest "segment" I've recorded was most of the local Gran Fondo course, and many of the other longest ones are big chunks of the same or similar ones.

About the next to the last one there, no, I didn't ride the Maratona, we just happened to ride some of the same roads once. But about that one, I was surprised to see how many more places there were on that segment, so I went to see what the most popular segments I've ridden were that were more than five miles long, and this is what came up:

OK, so a Central Park loop, one would expect to be more populated than some road used for a sportive up in the mountains, but HOLY CRAP! - over 36,000 places at some other segment up in the Dolomites! I think it may also be part of the course for the Maratona, but I wonder why it has almost twice as many places....

Anyhow just for kicks, and to demonstrate my love for VeloViewer - the steepest that were more than five miles long:

Last edited by kbarch; 09-17-18 at 07:34 PM.