Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM eTap AXS vs Dura Ace Di2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-19-20, 10:21 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

I’m looking at purchasing a Roubaix Pro or S Works. Reviewers seem very excited about the SRAM with the wide gear range, shifting, charging, configurability, but seem to ding it for price and added weight. What’s reality for durability and reliability vs Dura Ace? Am I able to adjust once and leave it along? I’m very happy with 105 di2 on my Tarmac Pro, except for the fat finger shifting up, but need down. Terrain here is both flats and hills. Appreciate the feedback. Thx
Old 10-20-20, 12:17 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I was just about to post an almost identical question about the differences between eTap AXS and Ultegra Di2.

The bike I'm looking at has otherwise identical models with the drivetrain bring the difference. The SRAM is $500-ish more, includes a power meter, and has one more speed.

But I have zero personal experience with electronic shifting. My current bike has Shimano 105 on it.

Last edited by guachi; 10-20-20 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-20-20, 09:36 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
One's 12sp and wireless, the other is 11sp and wired. Google will provide you with hundreds of useful posts/articles.
Old 10-20-20, 09:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
The SRAM is $500-ish more, includes a power meter, and has one more speed.
Who makes the Power Meter?
Old 10-20-20, 10:26 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Di2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. No question about it.
Old 10-20-20, 10:42 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle forrest
di2 every day of the week and twice on sunday. No question about it.
+1
Likes For popeye:
Old 10-20-20, 01:11 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
The main reason I prefer SRAM (from way back in the RED10 days) is that I never fat finger shifts, not even in the winter with heavy vague feeling gloves, and that the brake levers don't pivot (no longer relevant, but old Shimano ones did).

For Cyclocross that was a huge differentiator, as shifting is hard enough already when bouncing around with muddy hands.

But I still greatly prefer the ergonomics of SRAM (with one big fat shift lever tab) over Shimano.
Old 10-20-20, 06:51 PM
guachi

Originally Posted by jadocs
Product description says "SRAM Force AXS Power Meter". So it could be anyone and rebranded as SRAM, for all I know. It doesn't mention if it's double- or single-sided.
Likes For guachi:
Old 10-20-20, 07:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I'd assume its a Quarq since Sram owns the brand.

https://www.sram.com/en/quarq

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/pm-frc-d1
"Designed specifically for electronic shifting and featuring Quarq’s premier DZero power measurement technology, the SRAM Force AXS power meter is a huge step forward in power meter design."

"Power balance measures left and right legs separately"

Last edited by GlennR; 10-20-20 at 07:08 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-20-20, 07:09 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Product description says "SRAM Force AXS Power Meter". So it could be anyone and rebranded as SRAM, for all I know. It doesn't mention if it's double- or single-sided.
Most likely QUARQ since SRAM owns that brand.
Likes For ARPRINCE:
Old 10-20-20, 09:48 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Nothing is substantially better than virtually any element of Dura-Ace, and some elements are streets ahead.

Shimano established ownership of the road bike with 7400, and has kept its grip pretty much ever since. The number of times they screwed something up in the three and half decades since, you can count on one hand.

Might as well ask if you should buy a Ford or a Toyota.
Old 10-20-20, 11:24 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by TTron
I’m very happy with 105 di2 on my Tarmac Pro, except for the fat finger shifting up, but need down.
Nobody noticed this?
Likes For surak:
Old 10-21-20, 04:42 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Might as well ask if you should buy a Ford or a Toyota.
It's Ford vs Cheby.
Old 10-21-20, 11:37 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
SRAM owns Quarq and Powertap now. They made their own power meter and bought the tech to do it.

On the rest - I probably shouldn't comment. Too many people I know who work in places see this stuff. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-21-20, 08:30 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
SRAM owns Quarq and Powertap now. They made their own power meter and bought the tech to do it.
That's typical SRAM. They don't really innovate, they buy companies that innovate(Zipp, Rock Shox, Avid),
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-21-20, 09:13 PM
guachi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

On the rest - I probably shouldn't comment. Too many people I know who work in places see this stuff. Good luck in your search.
I'm a PC enthusiast. Compared to PC component reviews bike review websites and YouTube channels are garbage.
Likes For guachi:
Old 10-22-20, 07:25 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Di2 will soon be 12 speed and your new purchase will be largely outdated. Sram added a 12 sprocket to gain range and then gave it up with the 13T difference at the crank. Campy didn't do that.

I used nothing but Campy for 25 years, so I had 10 and 11 speed long before shimano users. I waited until chorus 12 came out last July to get 12 speed. Just a couple of months ago I switched to force axs, but kept my Campy 48/32 crank for more range. The 48/10 top gear is like a 53/11 and proved to be more than I needed, so I'm now using a 46/30 grx crank with force 10-36 for a 552% range, which is more than any sram offering.

A sram 12 speed cassette will also work great with a Campy 12 drivetrain.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 10-26-20 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 08:24 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by noodle soup
That's typical SRAM. They don't really innovate, they buy companies that innovate(Zipp, Rock Shox, Avid),
That is either "financial engineering cobbled together assimilar parts" ala computer associates, which is garbage.

Or it is "adult supervision and tactical aquisition of tech into a well integrated company" ala GE or some private equity or VC fund models (the good ones) which is a good thing.

So far from SRAM I have seen more of the latter and less of the former.

Also, TREK bought bontrager, and Specialized bought Roval.... Garmin bought... TACX maybe? WHOO was bought by... um... wait.... bought Speedplay, so power pedals are probably coming up soon.

Wanna know why the industry tends to do that? I'd bet it has everything to do with Patents.
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 10-22-20, 08:30 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by nycphotography
That is either "financial engineering cobbled together assimilar parts" ala computer associates, which is garbage.

Or it is "adult supervision and tactical aquisition of tech into a well integrated company" ala GE or some private equity or VC fund models (the good ones) which is a good thing.

So far from SRAM I have seen more of the latter and less of the former.

Also, TREK bought bontrager, and Specialized bought Roval.... Garmin bought... TACX maybe? WHOO was bought by... um... wait.... bought Speedplay, so power pedals are probably coming up soon.

Wanna know why the industry tends to do that? I'd bet it has everything to do with Patents.
Some companies innovate and build quality components, other companies buy companies that build quality components.
Old 10-22-20, 08:38 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Some companies innovate and build quality components, other companies buy companies that build quality components.
That's true, but also completely irrelevant except as some kind of ego attachment to a fantasy of how the world "should" be. All I care about is if they produce quality components at competitive prices with good distribution and customer service (and maybe with good HR policies and company culture). I don't really care if they acquire expertise organically or if they go out and buy it, so long as they integrate the acquisitions and manage the company like responsible, competent, adult leaders.

Speedplay is a classic example of the former (innovators and engineers) desperately in need of adult supervision from the latter. The Wahoo acquisition is a very good thing (I hope) for me as a speedplay customer who has loved the product but despised the company for over a decade.
Old 10-22-20, 10:10 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
That's true, but also completely irrelevant except as some kind of ego attachment to a fantasy of how the world "should" be. All I care about is if they produce quality components at competitive prices with good distribution and customer service (and maybe with good HR policies and company culture). I don't really care if they acquire expertise organically or if they go out and buy it, so long as they integrate the acquisitions and manage the company like responsible, competent, adult leaders.

Speedplay is a classic example of the former (innovators and engineers) desperately in need of adult supervision from the latter. The Wahoo acquisition is a very good thing (I hope) for me as a speedplay customer who has loved the product but despised the company for over a decade.
I realize this thread is rapidly evolving away from the original question, but I'm curious about speedplay the company - I'm just curious what the company has done. Really just curiosity - I was away from serious cycling for a little over a decade, and have been fascinated by some of the new players (wahoo, for example), the old guard (Shimano, Campy, Garmin), and the not so new anymore, as well as the consolidation that has occurred.
Old 10-22-20, 10:36 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Yes.. doubletap and eTab were not innovative.

If you want to broaden your product line the fastest way is you buy a proven product. It's just more cost effective than to develop a new one from scratch and then compete.

Just look at Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Apple.

Fiat bought Chrysler to get a foothold in the USA. with that they never would of been able to reintroduce Fiat and Alfa to the US which is a HUGE market not to be in.

FYI.. I've never had a problem getting a Zipp technician on the phone.. good luck talking to anyone at Sram. So they seem to have two different customer service philosophies. .
Old 10-22-20, 11:06 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by GlennR

FYI.. I've never had a problem getting a Zipp technician on the phone.. good luck talking to anyone at Sram. So they seem to have two different customer service philosophies. .
SRAM used to only work with dealers for their customer service, and they were extremely easy to deal with. If a part broke, they would send out a replacement without a hassle. Often an upgraded version.

Sometimes the rep would act like they’ve never heard of the problem, but they finally stopped acting shocked when E-tap was first released.
Old 10-22-20, 11:15 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

SRAM used to only work with dealers for their customer service, and they were extremely easy to deal with. If a part broke, they would send out a replacement without a hassle. Often an upgraded version.

Sometimes the rep would act like they’ve never heard of the problem, but they finally stopped acting shocked when E-tap was first released.
The only issue I had with a Sram product was the right shifter on my CX bike. It was a Rival CX1 and they sent a replacement that included the shifter, hose and rear caliper. They did it very quickly and all though the dealer. But the end user can't get them on the phone.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-22-20, 12:17 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The only issue I had with a Sram product was the right shifter on my CX bike. It was a Rival CX1 and they sent a replacement that included the shifter, hose and rear caliper. They did it very quickly and all though the dealer. But the end user can't get them on the phone.
That's exactly why dealers exist. We get paid handle that. Communication to SRAM becomes much more streamlined and fact based that has gone through the lens of training and experience. They have our information on file. Makes the time on the phone and the transaction simple.

No OEM wants to spend outrageous tons of money on staffing teams of people who then have to try and diagnose technical issues with untrained people over the phone. That's the job of the computer/tech industry.

Likes For Psimet2001:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.