Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stella SX 73 - I'll probably regret this, LOL!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stella SX 73 - I'll probably regret this, LOL!

Old 11-29-20, 09:14 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Just my opinion, if replacing wheels is needed I would go with 700 instead of the 27"s.

I don't see see why you would regret getting this Stella.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-29-20, 02:42 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Just my opinion, if replacing wheels is needed I would go with 700 instead of the 27"s.

I don't see see why you would regret getting this Stella.
That's too easy, LOL! I must revive these wheels. But......the brake calipers look like they have plenty of room to move down for 700c wheels.

I just finished up with the first go over of the rear wheel. Once again no surprises. Opened up the hub, cleaned, greased, new bearings and back together. I pulled the cover off this freewheel and did what work I could from the top to take care of the inside. Freewheels like this are just a replace to me if needed. Newer probably shifts better anyway. I did managed to relube the pawl area and the top bearings area while I had it opened. Sounds and feels a lot better now. This is a Cyclo 72 freewheel, not familiar with them yet but I'll do some research. I've only got one freewheel tool and it doesn't fit this one. Anyway, next up the BB and then that will be all the bearing surfaces. Everything so far working out as expected.

On a whim this morning I swung by Lowes while in town. Thought there was a slim chance I might score the locknuts I needed. Nope, in fact while plenty of hardware for 8mm and 10mm I didn't see a single thing for 9 mm. Discrimination! LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-29-20 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-29-20, 08:24 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Regarding the crank, Stronglight cranks take a proprietary 23.35mm puller. If you try to use a standard puller you will strip the threads. You can find them on the bay. I got the one with a TA (23mm ) on one side and SL (23.35) on the other.
Old 11-30-20, 07:51 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Slowride79
Regarding the crank, Stronglight cranks take a proprietary 23.35mm puller. If you try to use a standard puller you will strip the threads. You can find them on the bay. I got the one with a TA (23mm ) on one side and SL (23.35) on the other.
Yep! One of the reasons I got this was as an excuse to get more tools. :-)
Old 12-03-20, 07:01 PM
jamesdak 

Looks like one missing part problem is solved!

Got in the toothed spacer I found on Ebay. Looks like it's going to do the trick.

Old 12-05-20, 10:32 AM
jamesdak 

I love it when a plan comes together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contacted Yellowjersey last night. They have the locknuts I need. I also realized while working on this one that the missing toothed spacer/washer on this is exactly what's missing on my LeCoulant bike's headset too. So I asked if that had one of those also and they do!!!!!!!!!!!! Soons as I get a total from them I'll have these paid and on the way.

That leaves the BB/crank to sort out. I think the tool for that will arrive today so I can open it up. Even if something is wrong with the BB when I get in there that won't be an issue either. Velo Orange has French BB in stock as well as their pressfit one so I don't seen any real issues coming up now that can't easily be addressed. I took the dust cover's off easy peasy yesterday as I sprayed everything with some PB Blaster so It could soak in while I'm waiting to pull the crank and open up the BB.

Time now I guess to pull off the rest of the parts and clean, degrease, polish, and relube them. Cables are on the way too. This is turning out to be much less of a challenge than I thought. Just lots of elbow grease and a little parts hunting.

I think these are Normandy Sport hubs.

Still need to take off this broken locknut

Can't really see in the picture but these flanges polished up really nice.
Old 12-05-20, 10:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Very cool bike. I'm glad you bought it. I was tempted to buy it as well; it is a beautiful bike. French threaded cups are available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Bottom...s%2C190&sr=8-2

Last edited by bikemig; 12-05-20 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-12-20, 02:40 PM
jamesdak 

As expected this if fighting me every step. Noticed one dust cover hardly seated when I pulled them off early this week. Just got the proper tool in and the non drive side was no issue. But yeah, threads are jacked on the drive side. Cannot get the puller in to even think about pulling off the crank. Not sure how I"m going to solve this non-destructively.

And as luck has it. As I'm typing this Fedex knocked on the door dropping off the replacement chain rings and other goodies for this. Sigh......

Everything came out just fine on the non-drive side, lock ring, and cup as well as the bearings.

Any ideas?

Oh and I got the new locknuts in from Yellow Jersey that are supposed to fit the front Normandy Axle but nope. Won't thread on. Maybe this was changed out sometime in the past?

I truly expect to be slugging away at this all winter, at least that is what I figured when I got this. Enjoying the frustration and the challenge, LOL!

Especially when a quick hand polish brings out the simple beauty of a part like this!

Hood are in pretty good shape too but I'll still see if I can find new ones that fit, more easy research and fun hunting!

Last edited by jamesdak; 12-12-20 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-12-20, 03:25 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
It’s the curse of the Stella! I feel like a lot of these old Stellas lived hard lives. I wonder what’s up with that.
Old 12-12-20, 03:54 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts

Last edited by due ruote; 12-12-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-12-20, 05:41 PM
jamesdak 

First polish pass on the one crank arm I could get off. This too will polish up nicely. Hopefully I can get the rest of the crank off with destroying anything.

Old 12-12-20, 05:57 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by jethin
It’s the curse of the Stella! I feel like a lot of these old Stellas lived hard lives. I wonder what’s up with that.
I still feel like this one's been a lot easier to work on than I expected. I have little setbacks but I got this bike because I really had a urge to she it all cleaned up and polished up. That part is working out fine. The inside of the tubes are really clean and dry so at least it wasn't left out in the weather somewhere for years. It's just a bit old and tired......like me. LOL!
Old 12-22-20, 05:26 PM
jamesdak 

The rest of the crank is off! For those sensitive stop reading now.

I just a 3" three arm crank puller with some "mods". I put a small socket on the end of the axle to push against. To protect the back of the crank I was able to use two 4 inch thick metal straps between the crank and the arms on the puller. This kept the puller from gouging the crank at all and helped distribute for force on the crank, I hope. Anyway, popped right off.

I thought about replacing the chain rings with NOS Stronglight ones but decided to go with some newer Velo Orange ones and change the gearing a bit. The modern profile on the teeth should improve the shifting too.

Totally struck out on finding replacements for the front locknuts. I could easily switch this to some 700c wheels I have on hand but 27" just seem right. The rational brain is saying just get some modest ones from Velomine. The heart is say spend the extra on those sweet looking Velo Orange ones. I don't know which is going to win....
Old 12-24-20, 10:25 AM
jamesdak 

Once I cleaned up inside the bottom bracket I was surprised but just how new looking the inside was. Same for as far up the various tubes I could see. Pristine steel with no signs of dirt or corrosion. Wish I had thought to grab some pictures.

Anyway, cleaned up the bottom bracket, relubed it, and then swapped in new 1/4" loose ball bearings for the old caged ones. Still waiting some small parts before I put the crank back on but the BB feels super smooth now with no real play in it.

Took the headset back apart and took out those caged bearing too. Went with 25 loose 5/32" ball bearings top and bottom in there too.

Had a brand new Kalloy 26.2 seatpost on hand so I cut that down to around 9" for the shaft and then mounted a brand new Gyes saddle on it. This is the one that mimics the Brooks Swallow. Bought it years ago on sale but haven't had a use for it until now.

Then I swapped out the right sized but nasty looking SR 100mm stem for a spare silver SR 100mm I had taken off another bike. Now to decide on what bars.

Only major thing left now is the pull of the derailleurs for a good clean and service. Oh, and that cable guide. Need to move that down. Then it's just the wheels decision and putting it all back together.

Oh, and if I get a day with temps at least above freezing I'd like to take this back outside to see if some acetone or something else will remove that sloppy red lug lining someone did on it. Without damaging the original paint.

Old 01-02-21, 02:13 PM
jamesdak 

Crank about ready now to go back on.

Old 01-02-21, 02:23 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
jamesdak The Stella is looking good. The crankset and new rings look like they were made for each other, very nice!
Old 01-02-21, 03:02 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Looking good!
If you can’t get the red lug lining off, I bet you could find a suitable silver gray match, paint it out and then do gold lug lines with a pen.
Old 01-08-21, 05:52 PM
jamesdak 

Still slowly hacking away at this. Acetone does attack that red lining paint but it takes a lot of work and it's hard to get into the area around the lugs to really get at the paint. Moving on from that for now. Turns out the new hardware from Velo Orange was a tad to long for attaching the main chainring to the arm on that side. The problem was the larger half of the chainring bolt assembly. Was too long for the chamfered holes. So I cleaned up and polished the original hardware and put that back on. Took off the old dried up tires and cleaned up inside the rims. Decent enough cloth rim tape on the wheels so I left that and mounted on some new Pasela tires. Moved the cable guide down to where it belonged after giving it a good clean and polish too. I also remounted the FD I had removed to clean up. Brakes are polished up and put back on. Was going to order some Kool Stop Continental pads for this but right now I put on some NOS Shimano pads. Alignment angle is off for the pads though so I'll need to sort out a better solution.

Too much leaning over this morning trying to get those crappy Garmin sensors working on my roller bike caused me to jack up my back. So I didn't get as much done on the Stella as I wanted. Can't stand very long.

On other bike related stuff today I sold my 1998 Trek Y-Foil today. This was the "beater one" I picked up locally a while back. Just needed the room in the bike cave. Still have the NOS 1999 one, that/s not going anywhere.

I also have the new Veloflex tubulars stretching on the rims as of this morning. They're on the old Superbe hubbed wheels I got to finally put the Opus III "right". Keep going back and forth in my mind over taping vs gluing them....

Here's the Stella as I left it today. Next up I guess is calculating the chain length so I can get the new chain on it.

Old 01-08-21, 06:43 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
@jamesdak, I have been enjoying following your Stella thread, interesting and informative. I have been going back and forth in my head on getting another project, but I am going to stick with working on what I have for now. I can certainly relate to the back issue. Bending over like that, or sitting in a forward position while working on something, are two of the things that most aggravate my spine problems. I love ice packs. The Stella has come a long way already.

PM'd you
Old 01-09-21, 10:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Stella!

Is there a matching Stanley?
Old 01-21-21, 06:02 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by robbietunes
is there a matching stanley?
lol!
Old 01-21-21, 06:11 PM
jamesdak 

Well I thought I was going to put on the chain and cable the ol' beast up. But then it dawned on me that grey cable housing would blend in well with this steel blue frame so I'm waiting on some grey housing to come in. I had plenty of white, black and red but no grey.

Mirror shine on most of the silver bits. Some pitting on the shifters that I couldn't get off but I'm not going to worry about it. I may still take go over the rims with the Mother's polish but last time I did that by hand it was a lot of work. Not feeling it right now.

The acetone seemed like it would take off that poor red lug lining but it was going very slowly and hard to actually get in there all the way. Probably leaving it for now.

Here's how it's sitting now. Noticed a little play in the rear hub when I rolled it outside just now. Need to adjust that out.

UGH.., and that bent front spoke. I forgot about that until I just looked at this posted pic.
Old 01-21-21, 09:41 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Not unusual for French bikes with "good" frame tubing to have seamed head tubes. Several of my Lejeunes marked "all" 531 have that seamed head tube.
Mid to upper end Raleighs with "all 531" have seamed headtubes.

Old 01-22-21, 04:15 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I have a lower end Stella , the middle of their line up . It was given to me years ago and when I got it it had the original Campy high flange hubs laced to steel wheels. I found some period correct Wienman alloy wheels and laced them up after polishing the hubs and lubing them. I changed the quilted seat to an Ideal saddle but the bike is way too small for me so I don’t ride it much. My son in law loves the bike so when he comes to visit he rides it. It still has the old Campy matchbox FD and it shifts perfectly. The RD is a Velox and has Campy Grand Sport shifters. They are actually nice bikes and the higher end one like yours has the nicer dropouts. Yours is looking real nice.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-22-21, 05:58 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Great thread. You could try tapping the pedal threads out to 9/16-20 if they were damaged. I've done this on all my French bikes and use modern pedals. It takes just a bit of material off and since your threads are damaged anyways....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.