Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for lightweight, steel road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestions for lightweight, steel road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 04:45 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
you dont buy steel for some light weight reason... you buy it because it rides better then most stuff out there.... cept for titanium....lol and its has a unique quality that is not found in the modern trends that marketing seems to spin up on the hype machine...
Old 02-28-21, 02:21 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Isn't it interesting that when you can have anything you want, you can't attain it. Conversely when you have no means you covet the most basic of things.
Only the Lord can give enjoyment. Ecclesiastes 6:1-2
Likes For pcunite:
Old 03-14-21, 08:51 AM
jaybee123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you still trying to sell this? Do you have a geo chart?
Old 03-30-21, 07:09 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The Fairdale Goodship 4130 Chromoly frame with carbon fork with SRAM Force 22 was very light for a steel road bicycle.
Fairdale Only made this model for two years .Never seen a used one for sale, but really never looked.

I want to say the stock 60 weighs around 18/19 lbs. without the pedals and cages.
Frame is made in Taiwan.
Around 4 years ago they were discounted crazy low around $1100/$1200.
Also like the gravel type bike they make The Weekend. Might buy one if I ever see it go on sale and have the $.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 03-30-21 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 04:52 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Have a look on AliExpress, seriously!
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...+frameset+disc

I bought this lightweight Chinese made Reynolds 620 steel frameset from Amazon UK for not a lot of £, and I think it's a beauty. Comes in around 19lb as pictured.

Likes For bobones:
Old 03-31-21, 05:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Recently bought a Ritchey Breakaway. It’s lighter than my cervelo C2 and rides super smooth. So far I I enjoy riding it my than my Carbon bike.

Old 03-31-21, 09:23 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
I got a Ritchey Road Logic Disc built up last Thursday. Rides very well, not sure about the weight of the setup, but the 53cm frameset weights around 2000grams, around 1650g for the frame, 350g for the fork. I assume it weighs a little below 20lbs, I didn't go with the lightest wheelset, but certainly lighter than most aluminum wheels. I'm trying to lose 20 pounds, so the weight of the bike should get cancelled out nicely once I hit my ideal weight.
Likes For Parkyy16:
Old 04-01-21, 09:14 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I paid $5000 plus for this frame and and it has been one of my biggest regrets. While waiting for this to be built I purchased a Trek Domane and it rides like a dream. I built this steel frame up, rode it for 26 miles and knew it wasn't for me. I have been trying to off load it but the best offer I have gotten is $680. (American dollars). Even during a pandemic I can't give this away. Not saying steel bikes are bad, just pick the right builder if you go custom.

Oh no.................a Winter bike?

If someone offered you $680, I would take it, and chalk that one up to a lesson learned.
Old 04-13-21, 05:06 PM
nabeelbashi

Bikes: Cervélo S3 2017 Ultegra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bobones
Have a look on AliExpress, seriously!
I bought this lightweight Chinese made Reynolds 620 steel frameset from Amazon UK for not a lot of £, and I think it's a beauty. Comes in around 19lb as pictured.
Hey thanks for sharing, How does the bike ride and feel?

I ordered a similar frame on Aliexpress a couple of days back and builder said it might take up to 50 days before it arrives in France, and I've been very anxious since then as to how this will turn out, everyone seems to have issues with Aliexpress, and I'd like to think most of that is unfounded

Cheers!
Old 05-04-21, 02:26 PM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nabeelbashi
Hey thanks for sharing, How does the bike ride and feel?

I ordered a similar frame on Aliexpress a couple of days back and builder said it might take up to 50 days before it arrives in France, and I've been very anxious since then as to how this will turn out, everyone seems to have issues with Aliexpress, and I'd like to think most of that is unfounded

Cheers!
Sorry I missed this earlier. The bike is great, very smooth and silky feel, and fun to ride. I am really happy with how it looks and rides and I hope yours is the same!