Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For all the new cyclists who are a bit uncertain of themselves

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-14-21, 01:39 PM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

This is for the new people uncertain of themselves and also for the seasoned cyclists.
This man knows the truth.

Summary:
-New folk, youre doing fine, dont worry about having the right clothes, shoes, technique, bike etc, just enjoy cycling.
- Seasoned folk: Encourage, encourage, encourage, encourage. Every new cyclist is a potential new advocate for cycling, for safer roads and is someone doing something for their health.
Likes For wilson_smyth:
Old 04-14-21, 01:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I saw this when if first came out and I love it even more now. Phil rocks!
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-14-21, 04:05 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Aren't most new cyclists about 5 years old and unconcerned with things other than staying upright?
Likes For boilermaker1:
Old 04-14-21, 04:11 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Aren't most new cyclists about 5 years old and unconcerned with things other than staying upright?
You'd be surprised.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 04-14-21, 04:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Kids are very aware of sock height by the time they're 4 years old.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-14-21, 04:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I agree with his sentiment. But once they come here and post a message then we are at the point he makes at 2:19 into the video.

But in general we do need to be better and not discouraging anyone from riding....... how ever they want to do it.

And there are people that have never cycled out in the real world. I looked at a used bike for sale once. The guy was about his mid to late 20's. He'd been riding the bike on a trainer most all the time he owned it. He was afraid to ride uncomfortable riding out doors. I don't know that I was any help, but I did tell him that if he'd just get out and do it, he'd get more comfortable with it.
Old 04-14-21, 06:32 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
My wife isn't particularly comfortable riding outside on many of the roads where we live and I don't blame her. But all that means is we look a little harder to find better places to ride and put the bikes in the car and take 15-20 minutes to drive there.
Likes For guachi:
Old 04-14-21, 07:48 PM
DaintyCalves

Bikes: Madone 6.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
My wife isn't particularly comfortable riding outside on many of the roads where we live and I don't blame her. But all that means is we look a little harder to find better places to ride and put the bikes in the car and take 15-20 minutes to drive there.

My wife is the same. We live in the country but our home is just off the highway so traffic moves fairly quickly and they seem to have a general disregard for people walking/cycling. We take a short drive up the road and have all the quiet km's we need to ride on and build her confidence.
Old 04-14-21, 09:53 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
So is he saying that he would not come on bike forums and shame riders for monitoring their average speeds? If so, that is awesome!
But coming on Bike Forums to shame people for having a high RHR is still fair game, right?
Old 04-16-21, 11:37 AM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Bikes: Gravity X-Rod 8

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
But in general we do need to be better and not discouraging anyone from riding....... how ever they want to do it.
This, with emphasis. Another thing that might be well to avoid would be having the audacity to lecture a newbie about what they want/don't want or tell them "you'll hate [whatever]"- even if it should happen you're correct, it gives said newbie the impression that you're a model of egocentricity, there to tell them the inner workings of their own mind and really, how much unmitigated gall does that take? "Hey internet rando, let me tell you what you like!" (Not directed at you specifically, mind.)
Old 04-16-21, 12:04 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Currently I'm working as a Youth Employment Councilor (18-25), and I've been coming across a huge amount of young people without drivers licenses. In fact I would say it's only 1/10 with a DL in my area. But the surprising thing is that they don't also cycle! IMHO it's because their helicopter parents have been a full time taxi for them all their lives. For example as a kid if I wanted to go play baseball on the other side of town I had to get there on my own and that meant walking or cycling. My Dad would show up for a major game but even then only if he wasn't working. Now days the parents drive the kid across town and then sit there for hours and hours to support them even if it just practice. Kids flourish with support but instead of developing being independent they are developing co-dependency. When they finally have to go out into the world their anxiety sky rockets and they cope by shutting themselves in. Of course this isn't all kids.

TLDR:
But I believe when you cycle for freedom and transportation no snobby jerk is going to discourage you from doing it. If it's just exercise and a sport and you're not in love with it then your are not going to stick it out.
Likes For cbrstar: