Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spectro SRAM S7 cable connection

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 02:53 AM
fahmidik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Ladies & Gents! Earlier this year I decided to bring my old bike to life again. So far I've managed to swap the crank, install new tubes and a chain.

On the process of taking off the cables, I mistakenly (!) broke the plastic cover of the S7 clickbox. I've placed an order on amazon for a S7 gear set which will arrive in a day or two. However, I do not exactly know at which gear it was at before I took it off like an idiot. I'm a complete noob in this field. Assuming the gears are fine, would connecting them and adjusting the gear hub lines on 4th gear be enough? Or any other suggestions? Help me out please!
Old 04-20-21, 03:26 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
The manual says to align with 4th gear.
https://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/f...glish-reva.pdf

INSTALLING CLICKBOX• Insert shift rod (1, Fig. 8) in shift tube (2)(oil parts lightly) and then push into axlebore as far as the stop. Turn slot (6) inshift tube to a position where it is easilyvisible.• Push locating sleeve (3) with guiding rib(4) to the front onto the hub axle – mak-ing sure that the internal lug (5) is guid-ed in the slot (6) of the shift tube until itcan be felt – and heard – to engage.• Turn locating sleeve on the axle untilthe guiding rib (4) is facing roughlyupwards.• Place shifter in gear position “1“.• Push on Clickbox (2, Fig. 5) to the stopon the hub axle. The guiding rib (4, Fig.8) of the locating sleeve thereby engag-es in the slot on the housing. In the endposition tighten up the knurled bolt (3,Fig. 5) by hand (0.3 Nm / 2.7 in.lbs.).ADJUSTMENT• Be sure to reset rotational shifter from5th to 4th gear.• Match up the marks in the Clickboxviewing window (4, Fig. 6) by turningthe barrel adjuster (5).
Old 04-20-21, 03:33 AM
fahmidik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you tomtomtom123! But my question was, since I didn't set it to a specific gear before taking the cables off and I don't know which gear it is now in, would that be a problem now?
Old 04-20-21, 05:44 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by fahmidik
Thank you tomtomtom123! But my question was, since I didn't set it to a specific gear before taking the cables off and I don't know which gear it is now in, would that be a problem now?
Don't worry about it, it will not be an issue. When the clickbox is removed, both the sleeve and the inner rod will default to the pushed out position. Ideally, when reinstalling the click box, the shifter should be in the position where both actuating fingers inside the box are in the relaxed position (forgetting now, but I think that is 7th) but it really doesn't matter as the fingers will automatically position both the rod and sleeve to match the gear selected on the shifter.
Old 04-20-21, 08:56 AM
fahmidik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Don't worry about it, it will not be an issue. When the clickbox is removed, both the sleeve and the inner rod will default to the pushed out position. Ideally, when reinstalling the click box, the shifter should be in the position where both actuating fingers inside the box are in the relaxed position (forgetting now, but I think that is 7th) but it really doesn't matter as the fingers will automatically position both the rod and sleeve to match the gear selected on the shifter.
Thank you so much! This was a great help. I shall spend some more time to understand the mechanism. Have a great day!