Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur hanger

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Derailleur hanger

Old 04-22-21, 04:27 AM
bkkboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Derailleur hanger

I have an infinity road bike and a Tern Link folding bike. I cycle long distances with them and, next year hopefully, I plan to cycle 800km in Spain. Some web pages recommend buying a spare derailleur hanger. These are expensive, however, and do I really need a spare? On the other hand, if one broke I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a bike that cannot be fixed in a reasonable time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-21, 04:53 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Do a Web search for "emergency derailleur hanger" and see how those prices compare to the real thing, keeping in mind that the emergency units may only "sort of" work with your bike. Hangers are small and don't weigh much.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-22-21, 05:31 AM
bkkboy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks dsbrantjr. The SRAM Universal Derailleur Hanger seems to be well recommended - AC-DRHG-MTB-A1. At $15 it is a lot cheaper than a brand name derailleur.
Old 04-22-21, 06:23 AM
Ti473

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bkkboy
Thanks dsbrantjr. The SRAM Universal Derailleur Hanger seems to be well recommended - AC-DRHG-MTB-A1. At $15 it is a lot cheaper than a brand name derailleur.
This only works on frames that are designed for it.

For me it's worth getting one, especially if you do long miles in the middle of nowhere. You may never need it but you'll be kicking yourself in the nuts if you ever do and don't have it
Likes For Ti473:
Old 04-22-21, 06:32 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Does your rear wheel have a thru axle and is that hanger compatible with your frame?

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/do...-udh-rev-b.pdf

Old 04-22-21, 07:14 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I have an infinity road bike and a Tern Link folding bike. I cycle long distances with them and, next year hopefully, I plan to cycle 800km in Spain. Some web pages recommend buying a spare derailleur hanger. These are expensive, however, and do I really need a spare? On the other hand, if one broke I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a bike that cannot be fixed in a reasonable time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I bought a derailleur hanger from my bike at aliexpress. It's not original, but does the same thing and I paid 9€ instead of 24 that canyon asked me.

I always carry a hanger for my bikes when riding long distances. Just in case.
Old 04-22-21, 07:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You answered your own question. Spare hangers are like having fire insurance; it's an unnecessary expense until you REALLY need it. Also, Murphy will see to it that if you have one you will never need it but if you don't........
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-22-21, 02:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Do you need it, no until you need it, then you NEED IT. It is a product designed to break, that is its goal because if it breaks it will hopefully save your derailleur typically a more expensive piece so having a spare for touring is probably not a bad idea. Wouldn't want to get caught out at a bike shop that doesn't carry that part and then having to wait to order it. You can get an emergency version as dsbrantjr suggested but like it says it is an emergency to limp you back home to a shop in an emergency it won't get the full gear range and may not always work on all set ups. However like he said I would just have the correct one for your bikes. It will weigh about the same and could save your behind.

I think if your bike has a replaceable derailleur hanger you should own a spare for it. Wheels MFG makes a good lion share of them and they are of good quality and made right here in 'Murica. The new SRAM unit is for frames designed for it, they want a new standard to rule them all just like all the other standards that exist to rule them all. Not a bad idea but one that keeps popping its head all over bikes. Somethings have stuck and not been changed a bunch and have a bunch of different options like bottle cage and 3 pack mounts, they all seem to be the same size these days so it is something that is actually somewhat universal (at least as far as I have seen) and not needing of other crap.
Old 04-22-21, 03:19 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Hanger

Bear in mind, they don't tend to just up and break.
I bent mine twice by just letting the bike fall over while stationary.
It's straightening them afterwards that can increase the risk.

I needed a hanger straightened and bike store told me "it may break".
I told them, I don't care, I've a spare hanger in my pocket.
Mechanic smiles and proudly states "then this one will never break !"

Mine was unique not only to the Brand and Bike, but also that that year.
If your hanger is in any way unique, bring one along. You won't need it.

Barry
Old 04-23-21, 08:22 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I don't know if your hanger shape is in this list, but the union hangers are cheap. I bought one for a dahon bike for around $5 from a local seller.

https://www.marwi-eu.com/en/gh.php
Old 04-23-21, 09:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Do you need it, no until you need it, then you NEED IT. It is a product designed to break, that is its goal because if it breaks it will hopefully save your frame typically a more expensive piece so having a spare for touring is probably not a bad idea. Wouldn't want to get caught out at a bike shop that doesn't carry that part and then having to wait to order it. You can get an emergency version as dsbrantjr suggested but like it says it is an emergency to limp you back home to a shop in an emergency it won't get the full gear range and may not always work on all set ups. However like he said I would just have the correct one for your bikes. It will weigh about the same and could save your behind.

I think if your bike has a replaceable derailleur hanger you should own a spare for it. Wheels MFG makes a good lion share of them and they are of good quality and made right here in 'Murica. The new SRAM unit is for frames designed for it, they want a new standard to rule them all just like all the other standards that exist to rule them all. Not a bad idea but one that keeps popping its head all over bikes. Somethings have stuck and not been changed a bunch and have a bunch of different options like bottle cage and 3 pack mounts, they all seem to be the same size these days so it is something that is actually somewhat universal (at least as far as I have seen) and not needing of other crap.

FIFY

To the OP- having a spare is insurance not just for touring, but against down time while hunting for a needle in the haystack of hundreds of different hanger types, and even that it will be unavailable in the future.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-23-21, 01:26 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I looked at some websites which claim to sell Tern hangers, and they seem to look similar to the ones used for current Dahon models, which is the one I have. I bought one for $5, Union hanger GH-009. You can print the PDF at 1:1 scale and place it over your existing hanger to see whether or not the shape matches.
https://www.marwi-eu.com/gh-list-dahon.php
https://www.marwi-eu.com/gh-list-dahon.pdf