Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fork upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 11:57 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Fork upgrade

I just updated the fork on my "Basecamp," "mountain bike." Swapped out the old Suntour fork for an inexpensive "carbon," fork. Weighs a lot lighter than the suspension fork. I went this, because I highly doubt that I'll ever shred on mountain bike trails. Went pretty smooth, though I managed to snap one star nut, and had to fish it out of the fork. Dorked up and rounded out a bolt in the brake lever. Fortunately for me I had a spare one. The front wheel needs truing, and I have ordered a truing stand. (Apologies if I posted in the right forum for this, feel free to move it.)
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 05-31-21, 12:04 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I personally can't consider a carbon fork an upgrade. I won't use carbon fiber for the same reason I wont use aluminum. They can fail without obvious signs of damage or fatigue.
Old 05-31-21, 04:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I won't use carbon fiber for the same reason I wont use aluminum. They can fail without obvious signs of damage or fatigue.
No carbon fiber or aluminum?

That eliminates all air travel, then.

Old 05-31-21, 05:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
No carbon fiber or aluminum?

That eliminates all air travel, then.
While I agree the risk of catastrophic failure is low, unlike bicycles, aircraft have mandatory scheduled airframe inspections to catch failing parts before they totally fail.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-31-21, 07:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Keep in mind your bike is NOT designed to be clamped by the tubes. In fact zero bikes should be clamped by the tubes. The seatpost is designed to be clamped and is currently clamped right now.

In terms of the fork I wouldn't trust no-name cheap carbon with no support behind it. But hey it ain't my life. The SR fork was probably a heavy lug but the bike is not a high end bike so tis to be expected. If you aren't mountain biking, I generally recommend not buying a bike for that purpose or at least bikes designed to look like mountain bikes. If I want a carbon fork I would get a hybrid or road bike with a carbon fork and potentially get a higher quality bike in the process with less weight. I would also look at a frame that fits. Slammed seats are a good sign of an ill fitting bike.
Old 06-01-21, 05:12 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I personally can't consider a carbon fork an upgrade. I won't use carbon fiber for the same reason I wont use aluminum. They can fail without obvious signs of damage or fatigue.
I've had a number of aluminum bikes, only one wasn't old when I got it, only one had a break. I have broken two steel frames. You're just paranoid.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 06-01-21, 07:00 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I've had a number of aluminum bikes, only one wasn't old when I got it, only one had a break. I have broken two steel frames. You're just paranoid.
Same. The only bikes I've had 'break' have been steel.
I'm too heavy to rock the Spinergy Rev-Xes any more, but my 25-year-old SoftRide is still going strong, and I certainly don't pull any punches on my '97 Cannondale, and I've ridden two Headshoks out from under that one.
Old 06-02-21, 11:22 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

The price was right, and update everyone if fails. Hopefully it won't.
Old 06-02-21, 04:59 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Keep in mind your bike is NOT designed to be clamped by the tubes. In fact zero bikes should be clamped by the tubes. The seatpost is designed to be clamped and is currently clamped right now.

In terms of the fork I wouldn't trust no-name cheap carbon with no support behind it. But hey it ain't my life. The SR fork was probably a heavy lug but the bike is not a high end bike so tis to be expected. If you aren't mountain biking, I generally recommend not buying a bike for that purpose or at least bikes designed to look like mountain bikes. If I want a carbon fork I would get a hybrid or road bike with a carbon fork and potentially get a higher quality bike in the process with less weight. I would also look at a frame that fits. Slammed seats are a good sign of an ill fitting bike.
I don't mountain bike, because I am too old for that. I would just lay on the ground and wince in pain if I took a spill if I mountain biked. I'm using it to ride on the street and maybe some gravel roads. If I ever get the money to afford a high end bike, I'd want to build it myself. The Basecamp is entry level for sure. I know that many manufacturers slap "mountain bike," on a bike that can't handle hard core mountain biking. I'm on a limited budget, so I get what I can afford.
Old 06-02-21, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
I don't mountain bike, because I am too old for that. I would just lay on the ground and wince in pain if I took a spill if I mountain biked. I'm using it to ride on the street and maybe some gravel roads. If I ever get the money to afford a high end bike, I'd want to build it myself. The Basecamp is entry level for sure. I know that many manufacturers slap "mountain bike," on a bike that can't handle hard core mountain biking. I'm on a limited budget, so I get what I can afford.
Never told old for anything aside from loosing your baby teeth I guess. If you are on a budget get more practical gear to start for your riding or save up for a little bit or if there is something you want see if the shop can help you with financing. It is a smart way to go if you can. I did it for a recent bike purchase and it allowed to get the bike of my dreams a lot sooner than I would have if not.
Old 06-03-21, 08:53 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

I've had one Aluminum frame bike break on me...it was a Huffy...just say no to Huffy!
Old 06-04-21, 01:33 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I've had one Aluminum frame bike break on me...it was a Huffy...just say no to Huffy!
The one that broke on me, was my Mongoose XR250, but I had the seatpost too high and it broke under the clamp. The two steel frames was a Lotus Pegasus and a Scwinn Probe. One broke the seat tube at the BB, the other was the downtube at the BB.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 06-04-21, 03:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's not an upgrade, that's a downgrade and a step backwards... You should of upgraded with a steel fork.
Old 06-04-21, 07:37 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's not an upgrade, that's a downgrade and a step backwards... You should of upgraded with a steel fork.
Just curious. Why do you hate carbon? Thanks!
Old 06-04-21, 09:21 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Just curious. Why do you hate carbon? Thanks!
I don't hate it, I just don't trust carbon forks or any other carbon components. Carbon can't stand up to the same abuse as steel.
Old 06-04-21, 09:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I don't hate it, I just don't trust carbon forks or any other carbon components. Carbon can't stand up to the same abuse as steel.
Cycling abuse or extra abuse(dropping it, running into it with a car in the garage, etc)?
With regard to cycling, carbon fiber can absolutely stand up to the same abuse overall.

I dont consider normal use to be 'abuse' though since, you know, that means something different.
A simple solution is to not abuse a bike's frame. Crazy idea, I know.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-04-21, 09:40 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
How does someone abuse a bike fork, exactly?
Old 06-04-21, 12:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Looks like an upgrade to me. All materials can fail; I've seen chromo forks fail, too, without warning. I replaced an aluminum fork with a carbon one 5 years ago and it's been a great choice. I agree that the slammed seat probably means the frame is too big for OP and thus he's pouring money into a poorly-fitting bike.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-05-21, 06:31 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
While I agree the risk of catastrophic failure is low, unlike bicycles, aircraft have mandatory scheduled airframe inspections to catch failing parts before they totally fail.
AND pressurized aircraft like airliners have a limited lifetime measured in pressurization cycles, not flight hours or any such calendar time. Every flight leg (takeoff/landing) counts against the 'lifetime' of the airframe. The airplane boneyards out west are full of airliners less than 20 years old - ones that have already reached their limit of pressurization cycles. Why? Remember when Aloha Airlines Flight 243 lost an entire section of cabin 'roof' a number of years ago (April 1988)? Too many pressurization cycles that caused microscopic cracks in the skin, which also allowed corrosion from the salt air to weaken further. The plane was only 19 years old.

Unpressurized aircraft generally have component lifetimes measured in flight hours, if they have such a limit at all. That's why we still have DC-3/C-47s flying commercial operations around the globe at 80+ years old!

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 06-05-21, 07:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Must of been cheap Wall Mart bikes...
Old 06-05-21, 07:25 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by msu2001la
How does someone abuse a bike fork, exactly?
Mountain biking through rock gardens, over tree roots, commuting on rough streets with pot holes, jumping curbs etc... Maybe not abuse but definitely heavy duty use. That's why I use heavy duty chromoly steel forks. I wouldn't use a carbon fork for my style of riding.
Old 06-05-21, 08:35 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Mountain biking through rock gardens, over tree roots, commuting on rough streets with pot holes, jumping curbs etc... Maybe not abuse but definitely heavy duty use. That's why I use heavy duty chromoly steel forks. I wouldn't use a carbon fork for my style of riding.
I don't think anyone here has ever, or would ever recommend a rigid carbon fork for 'actual' mountain biking. The OP's bike, with it's slick tires, low saddle, and extra-high trekking bars looks like an MUP cruiser, so the fork he picked seems use appropriate.

I've never quite figured out why everyone on BikeForums feels like they have to ride through every pothole instead of going around; is there some Rule about deviating from 'The Line' that I'm unaware of? Or why obstacles like that are such a big deal in the first place? Get your butt off the saddle, bend your knees, and shift your weight off the front wheel. Is Riding Light considered a dark art around here?
Old 06-05-21, 09:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
AND pressurized aircraft like airliners have a limited lifetime measured in pressurization cycles, not flight hours or any such calendar time.
A limited airframe life is driven by the fatigue characteristics of aluminum.

There is no such limitation for carbon fiber.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-05-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-05-21, 09:10 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Thanks!
Old 06-05-21, 09:13 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Looks like an upgrade to me. All materials can fail; I've seen chromo forks fail, too, without warning. I replaced an aluminum fork with a carbon one 5 years ago and it's been a great choice. I agree that the slammed seat probably means the frame is too big for OP and thus he's pouring money into a poorly-fitting bike.
It fits well enough for me. I'm one of those people with odd body geometry. I've ridden and it felt good for me. It's a little big, however I can stretch my legs when pedaling it, and they don't feel like they're crunching up me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.