Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

In need of cheap folder bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

In need of cheap folder bike

Old 12-04-04, 09:52 AM
meb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by velogirl
Koffee,
There are quite a few good shops in Northern Virginia. I work in Alexandria, and am not as familiar with Arlington. I live in Maryland, and my favorite shop is Proteus in College Park, Maryland. Here are some shops in the area. You can google these for exact locations. There are more, for sure.

Proteus, College Park, MD
Revolution, Arlington VA and DC
Big Wheel Bikes, Alexandria VA
Wheel Nuts, Alexandria VA
Spokes, Alexandria VA
City Bikes, DC
Capitol Hill Bikes DC
Pro Shop, DC
I like all of these. There is a Performance in Rockville, MD, but I have not been there. I'll keep an eye out for a guy riding your Bike Friday who looks like he shouldn't be!
The REI velogirl mentioned is at Baileys Crossroads a couple of blocks from the Performance Bike. The Revolution of Arlington is at Clarendon by a Metrorail station, the DC Revolution is in Georgetown. Citibikes is in the Adams-Morgan area-they claim to be the largest bike shop in DC, although Mt. Airy bikes which is not technically in DC is certainly larger.

Wheel Nuts is just north of Old Town Alexandria off the Mt. Vernon Trail (probably the second closest shop to where your brother lives-nice guys there never noticed folders;that is the closest shop to where I work).
There is a Hudson Trail outfitters in Pentagon Row in Arlington should be close to where your brother lives, I’ve never noticed folders there-road bikes, mountain bikes, Burley recumbents.
Big Wheel Bikes has an Old Town Alexandria store right next to the torpedo factory off the Mt. Vernon Trail. They have a larger store in Arlington at Spout Run and Lee Highway next to the Custis Trail, the Alexandria store is likely closer.

There is a Sports Authority at Potomac Yard, never noticed folders but lots of mountain bikes.
Old 12-04-04, 02:16 PM
Javier

Bikes: None at this moment...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MEB,

Did you finish building your recumbent folder?

Javier
Old 12-07-04, 02:59 AM
meb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Javier
MEB,

Did you finish building your recumbent folder?

Javier
No, that's a low priority conversion. Still haven't got a recumbent seat or the boom.
Old 12-14-04, 08:50 PM
drfolder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=formulaben]When it arrived, it was ridable after putting more air in the tires. The warranty isn't validated until you take it to a dealer to have a safety check, but I've put nearly 100 miles on it, and aside from a small tweak of the brakes, it was ready to roll.

How does that work? What dealer would want to do a safety check on a bike that is bought on-line?

I have a Speed TR coming tomorrow (I hope) from Dahon, and I thought it would just be warranteed without any sort of inspection. I know a dealer in Berkeley who'd do it for me, but that's a heck of a trip.

I have to get some of those pedals you got from Harris. I also saw some slightly different ones at:
"https://gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/pedal/pedals.html" and these are also sold by Dahon. I can't stand not having toe clips. OTOH, I've successfully put PowerGrips ("https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=1270&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=")
onto folding plastic pedals with a bit of surgery.
Old 12-15-04, 10:45 AM
eff-J
Man About Town

Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 frankensteined refurb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drfolder
I have a Speed TR coming tomorrow (I hope) from Dahon, and I thought it would just be warranteed without any sort of inspection.
You do get a five-year warranty on the bike frame, right out of the box. Having a bike shop give it a once-over extends the warranty to a lifetime one. (Components are warrantied by their respective manufacturer, IIRC.)

And while I don't know if anyone has done it this way, Dahon's website mentions that registering the bike there will also give you the lifetime warranty, apparently whether the bike's tuned or not.