Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Old 12-05-19, 07:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I go in late to work today, so I decided to sign up for my first Zwift group ride of the season this morning. I plan to use up my free 25Km, unsure if it will kick me off the system when I reach that. Report to follow.
Old 12-05-19, 07:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I go in late to work today, so I decided to sign up for my first Zwift group ride of the season this morning. I plan to use up my free 25Km, unsure if it will kick me off the system when I reach that. Report to follow.
It did that to me. I just signed up and continued my ride.
Old 12-05-19, 07:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
It did that to me. I just signed up and continued my ride.
Ridus interruptus? That's not as much fun.
Old 12-05-19, 07:48 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Ridus interruptus? That's not as much fun.
Do you come back with seniority after letting your membership lapse?
Old 12-05-19, 08:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Did you not hear him? Did you just miss him?
Came home after shopping and drinks and dinner. Cat running under our feet looking for dinner. We must have forgot to lock the door. He must have came trying doors, which happens in the big city. He was considerate enough to shut the door when he left. At the time I had an old, somewhat warped front door that would scratch along the floor and shut loudly. We heard that, and the air draft created caused the front bedroom door to swing a bit. We looked at each other and then I got this eerie feeling there was someone in the house. Told the GF to dial 9-1 and wait. Went to the top of the stair, looked down and noticed my Surly gone. It was very cold out. Had I not been in my undies and barefoot I would have gone outside to look for him. The bike was 60cm with bar end shifters. Not the easiest thing for someone to make a getaway on. When I went downstairs I could smell his funk all throughout the first floor.

The only saving grace is that he left the two custom, Independent Fabrications behind. The Surly was closest to the front door and oriented to roll right out.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-19, 08:25 AM
indyfabz

Public defender is up there with teaching in the public schools at the top of my hierarchy of socially heroic jobs.
Dad was one of the best at what he did. He made that office into what many considered to be the finest PD office in the country. A personal lasting effect is that it gets me struck for cause when I am up for jury duty in criminal cases. While there are not too many people in the city legal system that remember him, a few years ago I got called for a panel. When I went in to see the clerk he told me he didn't want to take up a bunch of my time but wanted to say that he knew my dad from the neighborhood and that the judge also thought very highly of him.

When you fill out the juror questionnaire you have to state whether someone in your immediately family was is or was a member of law enforcement. The definition expressly includes PD. During another voire dire the judge noted that I answered yes to that question and asked me to give the details. When I told her who my dad had been an older lawyer sitting at one of the counsel tables shook his head as if to say "I knew I knew that name from somewhere." After the questioning was done I was taken into a room and told to sit in a chair. I had been seated for about one minute when the bailiff opened the door and told me I was excused.

Dad lived a hard and fast life. A poor man's bon vivant. Did what he loved. Died without much at age 63.
Old 12-05-19, 08:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Dad was one of the best at what he did. He made that office into what many considered to be the finest PD office in the country. A personal lasting effect is that it gets me struck for cause when I am up for jury duty in criminal cases. While there are not too many people in the city legal system that remember him, a few years ago I got called for a panel. When I went in to see the clerk he told me he didn't want to take up a bunch of my time but wanted to say that he knew my dad from the neighborhood and that the judge also thought very highly of him.

When you fill out the juror questionnaire you have to state whether someone in your immediately family was is or was a member of law enforcement. The definition expressly includes PD. During another voire dire the judge noted that I answered yes to that question and asked me to give the details. When I told her who my dad had been an older lawyer sitting at one of the counsel tables shook his head as if to say "I knew I knew that name from somewhere." After the questioning was done I was taken into a room and told to sit in a chair. I had been seated for about one minute when the bailiff opened the door and told me I was excused.

Dad lived a hard and fast life. A poor man's bon vivant. Did what he loved. Died without much at age 63.
Very interesting and sad about his early passing. Was he the Italian or the AA parent?

I have never made it to voir dire.
Old 12-05-19, 09:02 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Do you come back with seniority after letting your membership lapse?
I have the same level and other parameters from when I suspended my subscription.

I did the group ride, but due to a few quirks I got kicked off the island, so to speak.

My home internet is buggy, every 10 minutes or so it "drops" the signal for a second. It does not really cause any problems with live streaming movies etc. because of the buffer, but it drops my power on Zwift to zero, and I end up getting dropped back quite a bit. Because of this quirk, when I am in a big group ride, I try to stay close to the front, so when the internet drops me I can still get up enough momentum to get on the back of the group.

Today's group ride was fine, I did get an internet drop about 10 mins into the ride, but made it back to the front again. At about 20 minutes into the ride, apparently I was too far off the front and I got kicked off the group ride. Sad! I kept going for a few more Km but once I no longer had the group dynamic, I lost my mojo.

I will cough up the monthly fee and renew my membership next time I need to use it.

BTW I have complained to Verizon several times about the signal drop issue. THey say they tested the signal and its "perfect" so any problem is with the router or inside my house. That's not true, but I am going to have to accept it. When I do group rides with my friends they know to soft pedal for me if I get dropped. It's annoying but a first world problem.
Old 12-05-19, 09:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I have the same level and other parameters from when I suspended my subscription.

I did the group ride, but due to a few quirks I got kicked off the island, so to speak.

My home internet is buggy, every 10 minutes or so it "drops" the signal for a second. It does not really cause any problems with live streaming movies etc. because of the buffer, but it drops my power on Zwift to zero, and I end up getting dropped back quite a bit. Because of this quirk, when I am in a big group ride, I try to stay close to the front, so when the internet drops me I can still get up enough momentum to get on the back of the group.

Today's group ride was fine, I did get an internet drop about 10 mins into the ride, but made it back to the front again. At about 20 minutes into the ride, apparently I was too far off the front and I got kicked off the group ride. Sad! I kept going for a few more Km but once I no longer had the group dynamic, I lost my mojo.

I will cough up the monthly fee and renew my membership next time I need to use it.

BTW I have complained to Verizon several times about the signal drop issue. THey say they tested the signal and its "perfect" so any problem is with the router or inside my house. That's not true, but I am going to have to accept it. When I do group rides with my friends they know to soft pedal for me if I get dropped. It's annoying but a first world problem.
Someone using the microwave? Those things step all over Bluetooth.
Old 12-05-19, 09:33 AM
indyfabz

Was he the Italian or the AA parent?
Eye-Talian.

Cute story: When I was riding across the country one of the suggested General Delivery mail locations was in Minot, ND, where we had a rest day. I went to the post office to see if I had any mail. Told the cheerful clerk my last name and she said pertly "Oh. Is that Eye-Talian." I politely said "Yes, maam. It is." Everyone in that part of the world was so pleasant. Kind of weirded me out. I almost wanted someone to be rude to me, or at least scowl, to convince me that I was still on earth.

Got a similar feeling when in Rapid City, SD for the start of a tour in 2015. Total strangers would wave and/or say hello as I walked around the downtown area.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-19, 09:45 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Someone on the internet encouraged me to watch this just now. Seems like a good candidate for thread theme song:

Old 12-05-19, 09:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Someone using the microwave? Those things step all over Bluetooth.
No. It's the entire internet feed, which comes in via a wire to the house and then sent out over the router. Even the desktop computer that has the internet hard-wired drops the signal.

I already wasted a ton of time on the phone (hours) with Verizon and got nowhere, so I have accepted this as a minor nuisance.
Old 12-05-19, 10:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Was it LesterOfPuppets that needed to upgrade his EOL Win7? I saw this article the other day but kept forgetting to post it - https://hothardware.com/news/microso...ws-10-upgrades
I keep getting notices but I'm not gonna switch with this computer. Just gonna never be logged in as admin and not click on things. That usually keeps things AOK.
Old 12-05-19, 10:29 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Did you not hear him? Did you just miss him?
This happened to one my neighbors also. They weren't even in bed, just on the otherside in the house and had a laptop taken.

Of the houses in the neighborhood, other than the homeland security officer, not the house I would have chosen to live burgle. He is ~350 pounds all muscle and at one time was being recruited by the top schools for offensive line until he blew out his knee.

My step-daughter got her car stuck in our culvert one snowstorm which I could get out. Called to see if he had a chain/strap that I could use to get her out. He comes over says don't need no strap....Proceeds to lift the car out of the culvert
Old 12-05-19, 10:34 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I keep getting notices but I'm not gonna switch with this computer. Just gonna never be logged in as admin and not click on things. I'm gonna keep AOL.
Fixed
Old 12-05-19, 11:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Hello gentlemen, (and the rest of you too, why should youse be left out?),

. . . but seriously, the Return link in a quote is acting wonky . . . it will not return you to the original post you (or someone else) quoted when the original post is on a previous (different) page.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem with the link in a quoted post?
Old 12-05-19, 11:17 AM
BillyD
Administrator

It's only happening in Addiction for me, I might have to close the thread and open a new one in order to clear the problem.
Old 12-05-19, 11:22 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Maybe "watching the 11 p.m. news" is a euphemism.
Yeah, they HAD to be ... eh ... getting busy.
Old 12-05-19, 11:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Eye-Talian.

Cute story: When I was riding across the country one of the suggested General Delivery mail locations was in Minot, ND, where we had a rest day. I went to the post office to see if I had any mail. Told the cheerful clerk my last name and she said pertly "Oh. Is that Eye-Talian." I politely said "Yes, maam. It is." Everyone in that part of the world was so pleasant. Kind of weirded me out. I almost wanted someone to be rude to me, or at least scowl, to convince me that I was still on earth.

Got a similar feeling when in Rapid City, SD for the start of a tour in 2015. Total strangers would wave and/or say hello as I walked around the downtown area.
Must be nice. That's the way the entire country should be, after all we are the United States.

But alas, united in name only.

Sad.
Old 12-05-19, 11:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by BillyD
It's only happening in Addiction for me, I might have to close the thread and open a new one in order to clear the problem.
You mean THE END IS NEAR??
Old 12-05-19, 11:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

You mean THE END IS NEAR??
No problem with quotes on my end. Obv.
Old 12-05-19, 11:36 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Eye-Talian.

I found that same treatment while hitchhiking through Texas in the seventies, with hair to my shoulders. It blew my mind.

Old 12-05-19, 11:37 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Someone on the internet encouraged me to watch this just now. Seems like a good candidate for thread theme song:

https://youtu.be/O2GTHFeN4LM
That's funny, grandpa looked like he was running out of gas by the time the song ended.
Old 12-05-19, 11:43 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
In the shop patching a tube and I hear 'Leavin on a Jetplane" come on, out in the common room. My wife is working on her hammock(she's weaving it from scratch). I asked, and was told that yes, it was John Denver and Mama Cass. She also thought PPAnd M wrote it.

Old 12-05-19, 11:47 AM
BillyD
Administrator

No problem with quotes on my end. Obv.
But the quoted post is on the same page. Does it work if on a different page, does the link take you to a different page?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.