Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

is 170mm Fine for Crit Racing? (My Frame has a Toe Lap)

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 04:56 AM
SuperPershing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is 170mm Fine for Crit Racing? Well, i was advised by a Bike Fitter that my body is suited for a 170mm Crank.

But I'm currently Running a 165mm cranks. (And a 165mm has a Toe Lap also)

My Question is, Will a 170mm with Frame has a Toe Lap (Cinelli Parallax size 54) will Kill me because of the Toe lap or when cornering?

Thanks in Advance!

Btw, My bike is a Cinelli Mash Parallax Fixed Gear
Old 03-16-20, 09:53 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Toe overlap is rarely an issue in crits. IMO if you’re a good rider, it’s rarely an issue in general. I have tons of toe overlap and I only have to be conscious of it below like 4mph.

I’d be more concerned about pedal strike since you’re doing fixed gear crits. I’d def go with the shortest crank I can still put power down with. So many crashes in fixed crits seem to be pedal strikes. I think 170 is on the longer side for a 54 in a fixed crit.

I also wouldn’t necessarily believe your fitter when he says “170 is optimal”. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that shorter cranks are not as suboptimal for power delivery as some people think. You just have to change your fit and gearing slightly. You’ll also have to get used to spinning at a higher rpm (same foot speed, but higher firing frequency). I can personally sprint out of the saddle upto 160+ rpm with my 165 cranks and generate my peak power somewhere around 140-150.

Last edited by smashndash; 03-16-20 at 09:59 AM.