Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How did "vintage" cyclists climb hills?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How did "vintage" cyclists climb hills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 12:15 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
Back when I was a boy I was on a farm at the bottom of a bluff. I got where I could make it up the steep gravel lane without stopping . I'm not sure what the bike was probably a BSO fro0m western field or sears roebuck. As boys we were strong from hard honest work.
Boys were boys and girls were girls. Even the girls then were probably much stronger than the gender puzzled wimps of today.
Some Sears BSO's were actually pretty decent bikes, depending on how far back in Sears' history. They certainly imported a bunch of European bikes.
Old 12-15-20, 12:22 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Sometimes, they walked up hills.
Absolutely correct. I have never seen a hill I couldn't walk up.

Today you can call Uber.
Likes For retyred:
Old 12-15-20, 12:30 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
For a couple years in my early minimalist twenties my only bike was a Raleigh SC - single speed with coaster brake. I used to say it had three gears: sit, stand and push.

Is it possible that some of the fascination with low gears today is a consequence of how uncomfortable (and sometimes hazardous) it is to walk up hills in cleated shoes?
Today we've had 30+ years of MTBs marketed beside road bikes. Before 1980 there wasn't a lot iut there in 32 tooth rear sprockets. Some Peugs even before 1970 had a "mountain gear" of 52/36 - somehow it seemed all the UO-8s in Chicago had that gearing, which were shifted in Alpine pattern. But more common in higher-end bikes were still 52/42, 52/48 ½ step, and the odd triple, somehow adding a granny. Some lone Italian machinist may have taken the time to cut out a bigger rear sprocket and whipped up a stretched rear derailleur cage, there certainly wasn't much of such product around.

--- information and speculation from "Today's Boomer News."

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-15-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 02:22 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
For a couple years in my early minimalist twenties my only bike was a Raleigh SC - single speed with coaster brake. I used to say it had three gears: sit, stand and push.

Is it possible that some of the fascination with low gears today is a consequence of how uncomfortable (and sometimes hazardous) it is to walk up hills in cleated shoes?
The old school metal cleats and toe straps were no easier to walk uphill in, and they were twice as dangerous as today's modern ones. I use SPD mountain type cleats and shoes on my road bikes and can walk anywhere I need to.
Old 12-15-20, 02:41 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
The old school metal cleats and toe straps were no easier to walk uphill in, and they were twice as dangerous as today's modern ones. I use SPD mountain type cleats and shoes on my road bikes and can walk anywhere I need to.
I guess I was thinking more of recreational cyclists who would have worn sneakers BITD.
Today, even recreational cyclists wear the same outfit as
racers, investing more in clothing and shoes than some of us spend on the bike itself.

Last edited by daka; 12-15-20 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 06:18 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
My experience with riding single speed city bikes is that you can train your body to put out loads of power at pretty much any cadence. Switching from my SS (42/18 iirc) to a geared bike makes spinning up hills in a small gear seem comically slow and inefficient.
On what used to me my regular commute home, I would take the same bridge as a lot of guys that travel from Queens into Manhattan to do laps in Central Park. Granted, a lot of these guys must have been tired after the bulk of their workout ride, but most of them were on modern carbon or aluminum bikes, with minimal bike specific clothing and gear. And I was almost always surprised at how slow they were climbing the modest incline of the bridge, as they spun fast in really low gears. As I said, they were probably pretty tired by that point, but they seemed to have this idea that any sort of climbing was to be handled by going lower and lower in the gear range until you found something you could ride at your preferred cadence with very little effort.

[QUOTE=sheddle;21833983]
Originally Posted by merziac
Everything is so much more controlled by team DSes rather than the riders. Marginal gains down to single digit watts per KM on stuff like chain lubricants and derailleur hanger wheels. Commentators complaining if someone moves a non-leg muscle because hey, that's one watt that could go into the crank rather than rocking your body while climbing out of the saddle.
Powermeters, man. They ruined everything.
It seems to be going this way with sports in general. Like the whole "Moneyball" thing in baseball. All anyone wants to talk about now are numbers and stats, and so many modern athletes are completely devoid of personality or perspective. It's pretty sad.
Old 12-17-20, 09:15 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
So it seems like one of the first thing the new owner of a vintage bike does--- at least if he/she intends to actually ride said bike, let alone ride it uphill--- is to start fiddling with things in order to get a reasonable climbing gear.

But "back in the day" these bikes were ridden too, no? How the heck did people get up the hills? I'm looking at a 50's era racing bike that was fitted with a single front chainring with 46 teeth, and 4 rear cogs with something like 14-17-19-22. Compare this to the supposedly macho racers of the 70's with a 53/39 and a 12/23! Let alone today's bikes which roll of the sales floors with a 50/34 crank and an 11-34 cassette....

Did people just like suffering more? Were people just strong enough to crank 40 rpm up 12 percent grades? Or did everyone just ride the flats and go around the hills?

I'm actually puzzled by this. How did cycling survive as a sport with such brutal gearing? Figured you folks might know...
i’m not old enough to have owned/ridden a bike like you describe, but i do know from experience that changing freewheels for the conditions was quite common when i started road racing years later:

straight block — 13-18 6 speed freewheel for flat and fast
mid range — 13-21 6 speed for most of my riding
Wide — 13-25 6 speed for punchy/hilly rides

of course, having 1 of each of the freewheels was not sufficient because a set was needed for the spare wheels. Otherwise, it could mean riding a straight block on a hilly course following a flat. It was quite common to change out the chainrings too.
Old 12-17-20, 11:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I *think* I could still climb my old hills in my old gears, but I'm not about to try. I can pedal really slowly and basically balance as if I'm doing a track stand. I had to do that a few summers ago on a century ride when my rear derailleur failed. But most of my bikes now have triple cranksets with low bottom gears. I recently rebuilt a bike with a double crankset and bemoaned the fact that the bottom gear isn't low enough. Now I just calculated it, and it is about the same as my other bikes. Hmm, either my problem is that the bike is heavier than my others (true) or I'm even weaker this year than last year (also possible).

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-21-20, 10:39 AM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Do you know of a source of chainrings for a Stronglight 93?
Old 12-21-20, 11:03 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Cycling was a working class sport. Coureurs were otherwise farm labor, factory labor, street toughs.

Remember the words of Ferdi Kubler. “I knew if I won the Tour de France, I would never go hungry again.”
That was motivation. Try to imagine today’s racers saying such a thing. Thinking such a thing.

Races went up mountains when the bikes had only one gear. Only tough men raced.
Most professional sports are working-class pursuits, except polo and yacht racing. For bright kids to the manor born, it’s foolish to chase an athletic dream when only the very top few will make money at it, when you could use your money and connections to get a good degree and meet people at college who will be useful to you later in life. A wealthy romantic partner is a particularly good bargain if she (or he) will put you through med school. All without ever having to stop a slap shot from the point with your face.

Professional athletes in the marquee sports come out of the factories and coal mines and ghettos because their gifts give a tiny few of them an escape hatch, which the rest will have to struggle and scrabble for.
Old 12-22-20, 08:40 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rogertc1
I rode big hills in Wisconsin back in late 1970s by shifting gears. and even zig zagging my way up. I put my first Triple crank around 1980. Just cam out. Is drilled. No internet then, "Bike Warehouse "was my go to printed catalogue.
It’s not often I see the suntour triple pulley cage. I installed one on my Cannondale mountain bike which had 24” rear wheel and I was concerned about having higher clearance in the rocky and brushy terrain of eastern Washington. Granny gear of 24 - 34 was for sprinting up low banks. My road bike was a Trek 420 with a 6 speed 13-26 corn cob with Campy/Mavic tubulars and 52,42 chainrings. I found as I got in better condition that my “cardiac hill” became the part of the ride I most enjoyed, probably due to the endorphins released.

Near my home in San Antonio I have a greenbelt course with a similarly hilly ride topped off with a 1/2 mile stand-up-in-your-pedals climb that I love taking with that gearing and especially on my fixed gear bike.
Likes For reconnaissance: