Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stupid Strava entries

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stupid Strava entries

Old 02-12-21, 12:36 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I decided to look back at a ride's Flyby when the temps were above 0*F .... I rode the Loppet Fat Tire 30K a couple weeks ago, this ride has a good number of Flybys. I'm guessing competitive riders are more likely to reactivate Flybys. And frankly, the only time I find Flybys interesting are looking at a race (or once in a while somebody shouts my name when I'm out for a ride and didn't recognize them)

Old 02-12-21, 01:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis

Here in So Calif, I used to see 100+ riders on flybys. After the resetting by Strava, I would see 5. Getting better now that some people are catching on that they have to turn their feature back on. I've mentioned it to a few friends and they had no idea what it was. So I guess that message from Stava doesn't really mean anything to many who have no idea.
I was today years old when I found out that this is a feature that needs to be turned on.
Old 02-12-21, 01:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
And frankly, the only time I find Flybys interesting are looking at a race (or once in a while somebody shouts my name when I'm out for a ride and didn't recognize them)
I use it to identify and track people who don't wave.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-12-21, 01:41 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I was today years old when I found out that this is a feature that needs to be turned on.
Me too. Now, if only I can figure out how to set a default rule where my rides are public and everything else is private. Whenever I go into the settings, I remember how one of my favorite segments starts pretty close to my house so I don't click that "hide my address" link.
Old 02-12-21, 07:00 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
It's amazing what some folks upload to Strava. Of the people I follow, one of them titled an "activity" as "Cleaning the house." That must've been a high intensity cleaning. Another one went to the mailbox and put it on Strava. His mailbox is only about 100 feet from the house. Any of you seen anything like this?
Yeah that's incredibly dumb. Especially if they're not purposely trolling. I'm the extreme opposite. I'm super self conscious about most of my activities and if my average speed was low, or something similar, I keep mine private. I prefer to put my best foot forward. Lol
Old 02-12-21, 07:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I have to admit, I have had some friends claim to do a solo ride posting some pretty good speeds. I look at the flyby and see they were sucking wheel on a group of cyclists. Solo my butt!

A buddy of mine just called me the other night and told me a big story of a group ride I do at times. He told me play by play how he and 2 other guys broke away and lead the group on the ride finishing ahead of all the others. I looked at the fly by out of curiosity and saw some gal in the group started late, passed them then was ahead of the group by about 1/8 of a mile the entire time. A gal he said had faded somewhere along the line.

I've been having a great time teasing him about that one over the last week.
Your friends label their rides as solo or with a group?
Old 02-12-21, 07:04 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I log my indoor trainer rides to Strava because I use it as a training log, but I mark them "private" so that others don't have to see them.

But yeah, I know a guy who logs his yardwork and such in Strava and leaves it on "public." Weird, but harmless.
I think the word you're looking for might be "lame."
Old 02-15-21, 12:34 PM
Qhenn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's amazing what some folks upload to Strava. Of the people I follow, one of them titled an "activity" as "Cleaning the house." That must've been a high intensity cleaning. Another one went to the mailbox and put it on Strava. His mailbox is only about 100 feet from the house. Any of you seen anything like this?
... or what they’ll make into a segment. One guy had the KOM for riding up a chair lift. Of course, his name was “Puddy”.
Old 02-15-21, 12:48 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
haha, at 66 anything counts as exercise! and my doc agrees. But I wouldn't post this trivial stuff on Strava. Strava changed recently with this scrolling list of activities. I sure would like to default to cycling so I don't have to choose every time.
Old 02-15-21, 01:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’ve never understood why people get so worked up about whether riders go solo or in a group. Obviously you’re going to go faster and farther in a group. That’s the point.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-15-21, 01:15 PM
bblevens
Senior Age Man In Lycra

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I post for me so I can see improvement and go back for memories. I don’t really post for others to see. A couple of times a year I track cutting my grass just for fun.
there are times I’ll track something really insignificant so I just mark it as private.
I agree with the post that at times just walking to the mailbox can be hard.
Strava for me is 80% tracking my rides and 20% social.
Old 02-15-21, 01:38 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Housework can be hard work. If your doing it right.
Old 02-15-21, 03:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
Housework can be hard work. If your doing it right.
it can be a real chore.
Old 02-15-21, 03:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I’ve never understood why people get so worked up about whether riders go solo or in a group.
I'm much more concerned about whether cyclists were wearing a "race fit" or "club fit" jersey. Strava should list that on the leaderboards.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-15-21, 06:21 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Nope, but then I'm not on Strava so that could be one of the reasons. A few friends of mine are on it. All say I should get on Strava as well. I'm not sure I want to be especially if people are posting activities like you have described.
Old 02-16-21, 07:10 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
One time, on a group gravel ride, we rode to the house of a fellow cyclist who wasn't on the ride (he was out to dinner with his wife). We had about a dozen guys ride through his property and then we set up a Strava segment that went right through the guy's back yard. Every once in a while some random "Strava Segment Hunter" tries to ride though his back yard during a KOM attempt. Hilarity ensues.
Likes For Dino_Sore: