Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Beets!

Old 05-30-21, 05:30 AM
Lionheart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Beets!

I’ve decided to try a beet supplement to increase my performance. Does anyone have strong preferences for something, along the lines of “Super Beets”?
Thanks
Old 05-30-21, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
If this revolving around cycling discussion or is this just a general diet question?

I'd just eat beets if you are asking about general diet and health. I like them simmered or steamed. Young beets I've sliced thin and put in my salads. Sort of messy though with beet juice getting on your fingers and everything you touch.

Might surprise you the next day when you look in the commode and see red streaks in the water. <grin>
Old 05-30-21, 11:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Other than illegal performance enhancing drugs, there is no natural supplement or legal supplement out there that will increase your performance...There is no evidence out there that any of the natural and legal nutritional supplements sold out there actually work to increase performance or are beneficial to health...Eat real food.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-31-21, 12:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Some of my friends swear by the beet stuff. Dunno, tried some beet root capsules for a month, didn't notice any difference. I've eaten a lot of beets, cooked and pickled, and can't say I noticed any differences. But I still buy 'em occasionally because the dollar store occasionally gets good quality beet pickles for a buck.

Same with cherry juice and other stuff touted as great for inflammation, anti-oxidants, etc. Can't feel any difference. And it's expensive for a placebo. I probably get enough anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories cheaper through eating good food and aspirin or my prescription meds.

There are some non-prescription supplements and substances that do have definitely effects on most people, but opinions differ over whether those effects are beneficial for athletes. I've found GABA helps relieve some muscle spasms, but it also makes me drowsy so I take it only at night when necessary. It feels similar to taking melatonin. It's just an amino acid, chemically related to prescription gabapentin -- which also seems to help some folks but not everyone.

Ditto natural sources for beta ecdysterone. I feel significant differences. Some folks don't. Sports regulatory organizations are considering whether to ban or regulate it but so far haven't taken any action. It ain't as potent as anabolic steroids and you can get it by eating a lot of some types of greens, shellfish (including the shells) and bugs, for folks with eclectic tastes. And because it's from natural sources the potency varies quite a bit from batch to batch, which may be why some folks report good results and others feel no improvements.

Some folks report great results from foods and drinks containing resveratrol. Red wine contains resveratrol. But red wine, and most alcohol, gives me a sinus headache, so any benefit is negated by the alcohol. I could probably just eat red grapes and see if there's any benefit. Instead I just bought some resveratrol supplement because it's cheap. And it may get even cheaper. Turns out the invasive weed kudzu is a rich source of resveratrol, so the entire Southeastern US might have a cash crop on its hands... and growing up every utility pole.
Old 06-01-21, 04:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
Beets, beetroot juice, inorganic nitrate, all about the same thing, different ways of consuming it. Many studies have been done looking for affects on athletic performance. They show mixed results. Some show a 2.5-4% improvement in endurance particularly. Others don't show any such thing. There are confounders aplenty. The biggest confounder is whether or not the subjects used mouthwash or a toothpaste which might damage or kill mouth bacteria. Another confounder is whether or not the subjects consumed nitrate rich vegetables in their normal diet. There are others.
https://www.pnas.org/content/109/33/13144

You have to eat a lot of beets or drink a lot of beetroot juice. The affect is dose-dependent. You're looking for a daily dosage of about 1.5g of nitrate. It's a lot cheaper to use sodium nitrate, 2g a day. Whether or not you get an athletic boost from it, it's good for your health.
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full...AHA.110.153536
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4008816/
Old 06-02-21, 01:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
I don’t regularly use it currently— probably should, though— but I have used and like PureClean’s beet juice powder:

https://purecleanperformance.com/pages/pureclean-powder

I like all of their stuff which I’ve tried, and they have beet powder in several products. I use Beetums and Fundaminos usually.
Old 06-02-21, 09:11 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Of note, lots of the stuff out there I've read on this topic leads me to believe the "gain" might not be in the nitrate or whatever from the beets........but rather your ability to mobilize your existing energy stores by the drinks providing vitamin b12.

I don't necessarily believe that, but have heard it stated.
Old 06-02-21, 01:42 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
SiS (whose products I enjoy and use) have just released some nitrate products

https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/sh...tm_content=bau
Old 06-02-21, 05:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Of note, lots of the stuff out there I've read on this topic leads me to believe the "gain" might not be in the nitrate or whatever from the beets........but rather your ability to mobilize your existing energy stores by the drinks providing vitamin b12.

I don't necessarily believe that, but have heard it stated.
If the nitrate dose is the same, studies show little to no difference between beetroot juice and sodium nitrate. Whether one supplements nitrate or not, the main thing seems to be - don't use mouthwash. Most interestingly, nitrate is ineffective on elites. One wonders.
Old 06-02-21, 05:38 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Similar but different, I like dark red grape juice.
Old 06-02-21, 05:39 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I just put bacon on my arugula
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-04-21, 03:37 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Other than illegal performance enhancing drugs, there is no natural supplement or legal supplement out there that will increase your performance...There is no evidence out there that any of the natural and legal nutritional supplements sold out there actually work to increase performance or are beneficial to health...Eat real food.
Personally caffeine does improve my performance and my memory isn't good but I am rather certain studies do exist that show for many people this is the case. Caffeine is not illegal (anymore). Additionally, I would suggest to fond a good electrolyte supplement. Personally I believe I can go on the low end of carb/calorie intake, but hydration really punishes me, both the longer the ride goes and particularly after a long ride. If I drink 3L versus say just 1.5L in the hours left in the day after a long ride, I notice a huge difference in how I feel the next day. Adding electrolytes to that helps even more.

Staying on topic, I tried drinking beet juice, couldn't really tell a difference but it tastes so awful I stopped. So I do echo the comment I am quoting - eat real food. I changed my diet to include more fruits. Vegetables not so much, because fruits can easily be eaten as a healthy snack, but who likes to eat a carrot as a snack...and it doesn't even have to be expensive if that is a worry, I try to eat 1 kiwi and one tomato a day and both are not expensive, and then I just look for what fruit is on offer and go for that, strawberries, apricots, other type of berries (though usually strawberries are best value) and oranges/mandarines usually are the ones I end up buying. This is on top of the healthy Müsli with fruits for breakfast. And I swear I feel better, I lost weight and can keep it low.
Old 06-05-21, 06:16 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Caffeine is proven.

There's also substantial evidence for nitric oxide (beets) and beta-alanine and creatine and a couple of other things.

Nothing will have the same impact as something illegal, but there is research-proven impact.

Beet root powder/juice also has a significant impact on blood pressure, so has substantial health benefits along with potential performance benefits.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-22-21, 11:38 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,748 Posts
I'm also a fan of PureClean stuff. Along with creatine, I also supplement with L-Citrulline.