Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any way to remedy a tire bubble or replace it period?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-13-21, 08:55 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

One of my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires has developed a bubble on the sidewall on the front tire. That's the first time I've experienced that. Sucks because it probably has 1/2 - 2/3 of the tread left. Is there any such thing as reinforcing it to salvage the tire or is the only solution to replace it?
Old 09-13-21, 10:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
....first, no you can't salvage it, it's history.

Second, Schwalbe has a pretty good warranty service, that you can access online.

I have had them replace a couple of Marathon tyres that did basically the same thing you are describing. File a claim and attach some photos of the bubble (before you deflate and remove the tyre),and the serial and batch numbers from the interior.
Old 09-14-21, 07:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Replace it before it blows out.

Although if you don't, you'll get an exciting adrenaline rush when it blows, sounding like a gunshot on your front tire, probably when you're riding through the bad part of town.
Old 09-14-21, 09:25 AM
uberprutser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check the bead of the tire. It's probably damaged. There is nothing you can do about that, other then perhaps a warranty claim.
Old 09-14-21, 11:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got a photo?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-14-21, 12:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Schwalbe ... lot's of defective tire threads for that brand on the forum. I've had my issues as well

this is how it arrived in the mail. they said try it out & if it doesn't get straight we'll send another. it mounts OK, so I keep using it every winter

this was a tire I bought used so when this happened I just chucked it. but it ruined my day

cpl threads ...
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...defective.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...tallation.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...out-round.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...n-related.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...med-tires.html

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-18-21 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-14-21, 12:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Photos?

You are running a tube in the tire,right?

Did you have a flat, cut, boot, etc... near where the bulge is?

I probably wouldn't ride the tire on the front, but who knows, I might throw it on the back and watch it for a while. It really depends on what I deem the cause of the bulge.
Old 09-16-21, 03:24 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....first, no you can't salvage it, it's history.

Second, Schwalbe has a pretty good warranty service, that you can access online.

I have had them replace a couple of Marathon tyres that did basically the same thing you are describing. File a claim and attach some photos of the bubble (before you deflate and remove the tyre),and the serial and batch numbers from the interior.
It's asking for an image of the production code - any idea what that looks like, where I find it? Nothing jumps out at me. I called Schwalbe but am getting voicemail - I left a message but if they're a typical corporation I don't know what the odds are my message will be responded to.

-Edit-

Actually nevermind - I looked up when I bought them and it's outside of their warranty period. I got the tires in 2015 - I didn't realize I'd had them that long.

Thanks for the info though.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 09-16-21 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 03:37 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got a photo?

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Photos?

You are running a tube in the tire,right?

Did you have a flat, cut, boot, etc... near where the bulge is?

I probably wouldn't ride the tire on the front, but who knows, I might throw it on the back and watch it for a while. It really depends on what I deem the cause of the bulge.
Yes, there's a tube. No damage that I can detect. It's not like it gets ridden hard, doesn't get jumped over ramps or the like.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 09-16-21 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 03:55 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
After the one Schwalbe set I had developed a crack in the side wall down to the core threads (With only 200 miles on it) I figured I would just stick with other brands rather than traverse bad tires and warranty stuff.
We had the threads separate on some firestone tires one time when I wasn't even able to drive. Thump, Thump, Thump all the way to Dallas. I have never had a car with Firestones from that day to this.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 09-16-21, 04:08 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Yes, there's a tube. No damage that I can detect. It's not like it gets ridden hard, doesn't get jumped over ramps or the like.
wow. replace it
Old 09-16-21, 09:59 PM
CliffordK

Ohhh.... that looks BIG.

I'm with @rumrunn6.

You may be able to use it on the REAR for a short time (if you have suitable backup transportation). But, I wouldn't use it on the front. Perhaps rear + reduced pressure.

But, get a replacement coming ASAP.

Have you removed the tire to inspect inside?

To me it looks like you've lost about 1" worth or cords, and there is nothing but rubber holding the side of the tire in place, and perhaps holding the bead on.

There is one person that makes boots out of sail cloth. I suppose it could be tried. But, to me, this is destined for the trash bin as soon as practical.
Old 09-16-21, 11:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
There is a repair you can do that will last as long as the tire. Glue in real dacron sailcloth (from a sailmaker, not a fabric store) with contractor grade contact cement. (The evil fumes stuff used to lay linoleum countertops.) Make the patch a lot bigger than the bulge. But start with small jobs. The cloth won't stretch to take the compound curve of the tire so a patch that big will take some creative shaping.

Hardly worth it for this tire but I had to answer those who said it couldn't be done.
Old 09-17-21, 12:22 AM
CliffordK

It's asking for an image of the production code - any idea what that looks like, where I find it? Nothing jumps out at me. I called Schwalbe but am getting voicemail - I left a message but if they're a typical corporation I don't know what the odds are my message will be responded to.

-Edit-

Actually nevermind - I looked up when I bought them and it's outside of their warranty period. I got the tires in 2015 - I didn't realize I'd had them that long.

Thanks for the info though.
Hmmm... ok, so probably out of warranty. I found this on the web.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64176

Their production code is inside the tire. It is 4 digit I believe mo/yr.

From Schwalbe warranty pages,

"Required: The production code is stamped in white ink on the inside of the tire comprised of 5 numbers, one letter then 2 numbers. (Sample: 23107X12) This is NOT the barcode number."
2015 puts it at 6 years old. Not surprising that it might be out of warranty. But, I don't believe that a tire should automatically self destruct due to being 6 years old.
Old 09-17-21, 01:45 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
oh, i don't know. this may not be well received, but i'd say patch it. cut a section of sidewall from a bum tire and stick it in there. i'd bet the tube inflation would keep in place, but you could also just glue it
Old 09-17-21, 12:08 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by thook
oh, i don't know. this may not be well received, but i'd say patch it. cut a section of sidewall from a bum tire and stick it in there. i'd bet the tube inflation would keep in place, but you could also just glue it
No doubt one could jury-rig something say with a piece of sidewall and Pliobond or Barge Cement, maybe even getting fancy and tapering the edges to avoid chafing the tube and it *might* hold but if there isn't an established and dependable method of repairing a defect like this saving the cost of a tire isn't worth a potential disaster, at least not to me. I'm thinking there could be some degredation of the structural integrity of the tire for whatever reason and this is just the first place it showed up.

It might have been there earlier and I just didn't notice it - fortunately it didn't blow out on me.

It's enlightening since I wasn't even aware that this could happen. It just seems odd since most of the weight is on the rear tire.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 09-17-21 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 02:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
It's enlightening since I wasn't even aware that this could happen. It just seems odd since most of the weight is on the rear tire.
It's a defect. Could have happened even if the bike was hanging on the wall the entire time.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-17-21, 02:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
No doubt one could jury-rig something say with a piece of sidewall and Pliobond or Barge Cement, maybe even getting fancy and tapering the edges to avoid chafing the tube and it *might* hold but if there isn't an established and dependable method of repairing a defect like this saving the cost of a tire isn't worth a potential disaster, at least not to me. I'm thinking there could be some degredation of the structural integrity of the tire for whatever reason and this is just the first place it showed up.

It might have been there earlier and I just didn't notice it - fortunately it didn't blow out on me.

well, i only mentioned it because i've done basically the same kind of hack repair to a wtb pathway tire that i rubbed a weak spot into the sidewall when the bead didn't seat properly after a tube repair. it held up for a good while. but, it wasn't a defect and no where else was the potential for a bubble to occur
Likes For thook:
Old 09-19-21, 07:51 PM
MyRedTrek

Just made an interesting discovery - that bubble exists without a tube in the tire and appears to be a separation of layers of the sidewall at exactly the same place as an inner barcode label that's been cemented in place. Seems like it's not a coincidence.

The second view is what's on the back side of the bubble.

Old 09-19-21, 08:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I'm curious what would happen if you pricked that bubble with something sharp. I'd think that if cords were broken in that area, the sidewall would have distorted outward in multiple directions, not just formed a bubble.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-19-21, 08:11 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts

That is... not good.
Old 09-19-21, 08:25 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm curious what would happen if you pricked that bubble with something sharp. I'd think that if cords were broken in that area, the sidewall would have distorted outward in multiple directions, not just formed a bubble.
If I squeeze one side of it, the other side balloons out more, there's clearly air trapped inside it.
Old 09-19-21, 11:19 PM
CliffordK

Hmmm.... Most interesting.

So you have discovered the tire blister!!!

When you had it mounted, was it soft or hard?

Any chance you've had that blister since new, and just never noticed it?

If the cords are intact, then it is probably OK to ride, at least on the rear tire.

I'm with @ThermionicScott . I might pop it, even just for curiosity. Possibly a hollow hypodermic needle from the inside. Sniff the gas or fluid that comes out?

The tag is curious. Perhaps there is an element of the tire expelling gasses over time (or during construction), and that process is impeded by the tag.

Alien Impregnation?
Old 09-20-21, 12:53 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm.... Most interesting.

So you have discovered the tire blister!!!

When you had it mounted, was it soft or hard?
Same as it is now - feels like an air bubble.

Any chance you've had that blister since new, and just never noticed it?

If the cords are intact, then it is probably OK to ride, at least on the rear tire.

I'm with @ThermionicScott . I might pop it, even just for curiosity. Possibly a hollow hypodermic needle from the inside. Sniff the gas or fluid that comes out?

The tag is curious. Perhaps there is an element of the tire expelling gasses over time (or during construction), and that process is impeded by the tag.

Alien Impregnation?
Definitely hasn't been there since new, not sure how long it's been there but I believe it's relatively recent.