Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Car Rack for Bacchetta Strada?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 08:15 PM
JettaTDI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good rack that I can use to carry my 'bent?

I've got a brand new 2002 Bacchetta Strada and a 2001 VW Jetta.

My wife has a DF - so a rack that will carry both would be nice...

Thanks!
Old 09-16-02, 12:43 AM
L J Horton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Olympia makes a roof rack for tandems.
Old 08-02-07, 02:26 PM
Froggy

Bikes: Trek, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my ole' cheapy Bell rack I got from WalMart (for $35!) to carry my Strada. Works great, but you need to add a velcro strap as the bike is a bit top heavy. I use the strap to secure one of the Strada's rims to one of the rack's bars.
Old 08-03-07, 06:20 AM
Javier

Bikes: None at this moment...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Froggy
I use my ole' cheapy Bell rack I got from WalMart (for $35!) to carry my Strada. Works great, but you need to add a velcro strap as the bike is a bit top heavy. I use the strap to secure one of the Strada's rims to one of the rack's bars.
Could you please post a picture of your 'bent secured to the Bell rack? I have a Rans Rocket, and would like to get a bike rack as well.

Thanks!

Javier
Old 08-06-07, 09:29 AM
Froggy

Bikes: Trek, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wal Mart Rack

Here are a few pics to illustrate the Bell rack. The first is just the rack and how I've got it mounted on my Expedition. Nothing Fancy. The next shows the Strada mounted on the rack. You'll note I have a bungee cord attached to my rear wheel. As I mentioned, the Strada is top heavy and needs some extra securing to stabilize the bike. I have also added a velcro strap which secures the front wheel to the rack. I've included closeups of those. Finally, I have a closeup of the how the bike is secured to the support rack.

This is not a sophisticated rack, but has worked well for me with my DF bikes and it's working ok with the Strada as well. My only concern is to inspect the various straps securing the rack to the car as I would hate to have one of those break while driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rack_s.jpg (89.1 KB, 27 views)
Strada_s.jpg (91.2 KB, 30 views)
strap_s.jpg (82.2 KB, 23 views)
Bungee_s.jpg (74.3 KB, 16 views)
Velcro_s.jpg (47.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-06-07, 10:56 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A Rocket will go on virtually any good 2-arm bike carrier. Although it won't go as well on the ones that have molded slots made for 1-inch top tubes.
Old 08-06-07, 12:22 PM
Javier

Bikes: None at this moment...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Froggy
Here are a few pics to illustrate the Bell rack. The first is just the rack and how I've got it mounted on my Expedition. Nothing Fancy. The next shows the Strada mounted on the rack. You'll note I have a bungee cord attached to my rear wheel. As I mentioned, the Strada is top heavy and needs some extra securing to stabilize the bike. I have also added a velcro strap which secures the front wheel to the rack. I've included closeups of those. Finally, I have a closeup of the how the bike is secured to the support rack.

This is not a sophisticated rack, but has worked well for me with my DF bikes and it's working ok with the Strada as well. My only concern is to inspect the various straps securing the rack to the car as I would hate to have one of those break while driving.
Thanks! That was really helpful.