Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upside Down Pricing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Upside Down Pricing

Old 02-14-22, 08:01 PM
helmet4000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Upside Down Pricing

In a sign of the times. The Pro's Closet is selling a Giant TCR Advanced 2 PC for $2,999.
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...SAAEgJ24_D_BwE

However, if available locally, I can buy the same bike online new and pick it up at my local Giant dealer for $2,450
Old 02-14-22, 08:02 PM
helmet4000

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
dummy i am ....the used one has zipp 303s
Old 02-14-22, 10:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The amount of scuffing on the crank indicates quite a bit of wear. A new bike has a warranty. A used bike doesn't. even with the better wheels that bike isn't worth the price
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-15-22, 08:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Wow that is a lot of scuffing for a 2021 model. Ridden really hard?...or maybe some pedal spacers are needed?
Old 02-15-22, 09:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I can't believe what pro closet asks for some of their stuff.

I emailed them to point out to them that a used Giant Trance frame they were selling for ~$3200 was available new (in stock and with a warranty) for only $50 more. They thanked me for bringing this to their attention and lowered the price $50.

I don't see the frame listed anymore, so some fool must have bought it.
Old 02-15-22, 09:35 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
FWIW, those Zipp wheels are significantly older than the bike.

Also, Gatorskins on Zipps.
Old 02-15-22, 09:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,125 Times in 1,645 Posts
I just bought a brand new Limar airspeed helmet for 89 bucks from TPC, so I there are some deals to be found, just maybe not on bikes/frames?

Good wheel deals too
Old 02-15-22, 09:59 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Also, Gatorskins
That's a triathlete's calling card.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-15-22, 10:13 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I can't believe what pro closet asks for some of their stuff.

I emailed them to point out to them that a used Giant Trance frame they were selling for ~$3200 was available new (in stock and with a warranty) for only $50 more. They thanked me for bringing this to their attention and lowered the price $50.

I don't see the frame listed anymore, so some fool must have bought it.
I hesitate to call someone a fool for buying a bike they want at a price they were OK with.

Pros closet does just fine. They've grown from nearly nothing and have built a large company out of it. They have a ton of employees (odds are too many of them) and their job is to flip used bikes at the best prices they can. They'd be doing a bad job if they ended up with tons of bikes that never sold or if they sold everything so low they didn't make any money.

This is the part of enthusiast cycling that will never seemingly die - A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Not what a by-standing enthusiast thinks it's worth.

Prime example - I had 2 used bikes at the swap meet on Sunday. Well done road bike to flat-bar road bike conversions. We did the conversion work but the man we did them for died of a massive heart attack and his girlfriend gave them to us in hopes of moving them along to new owners. I felt I under priced them at $600 to move them along. I had people coming up instantly and offering $350 and $400 then talking smack about how I didn't know anything. "Anyone who buys them for that is a fool" kind of stuff. I waited until the doors opened and the actual public came in. Had a few want them but be iffy on the price so they wanted to think about it. Then sold them without hesitation to another buyer. They all came back later looking for them again. All were upset they didn't get them.

A bike is worth what someone will pay for it. If you're not buying it and the seller didn't ask you then your opinion isn't needed and may not even be valid.

Old 02-15-22, 10:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I hesitate to call someone a fool for buying a bike they want at a price they were OK with.

Pros closet does just fine. They've grown from nearly nothing and have built a large company out of it. They have a ton of employees (odds are too many of them) and their job is to flip used bikes at the best prices they can. They'd be doing a bad job if they ended up with tons of bikes that never sold or if they sold everything so low they didn't make any money.

This is the part of enthusiast cycling that will never seemingly die - A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Not what a by-standing enthusiast thinks it's worth.

Prime example - I had 2 used bikes at the swap meet on Sunday. Well done road bike to flat-bar road bike conversions. We did the conversion work but the man we did them for died of a massive heart attack and his girlfriend gave them to us in hopes of moving them along to new owners. I felt I under priced them at $600 to move them along. I had people coming up instantly and offering $350 and $400 then talking smack about how I didn't know anything. "Anyone who buys them for that is a fool" kind of stuff. I waited until the doors opened and the actual public came in. Had a few want them but be iffy on the price so they wanted to think about it. Then sold them without hesitation to another buyer. They all came back later looking for them again. All were upset they didn't get them.

A bike is worth what someone will pay for it. If you're not buying it and the seller didn't ask you then your opinion isn't needed and may not even be valid.
If someone is willing to pay $3,150 for something used when the exact same thing is currently available for $3,250 new with a warranty (that is just 3% more), they are a fool in my book.

Your example is not comparable. Someone would have absolutely been a fool to pay $600 for your used bike if the exact same thing was currently available new for $620.
Old 02-15-22, 10:30 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

If someone is willing to pay $3,150 for something used when the exact same thing is currently available for $3,250 new with a warranty (that is just 3% more), they are a fool in my book.

Your example is not comparable. Someone would have absolutely been a fool to pay $600 for your used bike if the exact same thing was currently available new for $620.
You can buy a used Ford Transit with at least 30k miles on it for that same as new plus a $10-$20k dealer premium. By your math the whole world is full of fools or there's something you're missing about the realities of the transaction.

Old 02-15-22, 10:33 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

You can buy a used Ford Transit with at least 30k miles on it for that same as new plus a $10-$20k dealer premium. By your math the whole world is full of fools or there's something you're missing about the realities of the transaction.
Who buys a used car with over 30K for only 3% under the price of a new one when a new one is actually available?

Even in today's crazy market, nobody is going to do that. And these are cars that might actually still have a warranty.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-15-22 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-15-22, 10:56 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Who buys a used car with over 30K for only 3% under the price of a new one when a new one is actually available?

Even in today's crazy market, nobody is going to do that. And these are cars that might actually still have a warranty.
Lots of folks in Canada doing that, no other choice.
Old 02-15-22, 11:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Lots of folks in Canada doing that, no other choice.
Not the same thing at all, because in the case I am describing there IS a choice.

How hard is this for some people to understand?

I am talking about someone buying something used when the brand new bike frame (or car) is IN STOCK and AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE for only 3% more.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-15-22, 11:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I look at used bike prices that I think are way overpriced and the think about the last time I bought a frame and then all of what I paid for a mix of used and new part to hang on it and realize that I paid at least as much if not more than that and slowly shuffle out of the room with my mouth shut.
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-15-22, 11:22 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Not the same thing at all, because in the case I am describing there IS a choice.

I am talking about someone buying something used when the brand new bike frame (or car) is IN STOCK and AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE for only 3% more.
As I said before - it's because there's something about the transaction you're missing. The bike in question sold, yes? Then it represented a value that the buyer was willing to pay for. That's how buying and selling works.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-15-22, 11:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts

the only way i can (maybe) see it possible is that the buyer not knowing the item is in stock, even after looking using there resources.

I can provide a recent example:
When I was looking for a New Trek, the search function that Trek has, sucks (putting it lightly) . The results did not return anything that matched my criteria. However, after some creative techniques with the search feature, I was able to get some hits. With those hits, I was able to communicate with long distant Trek retailers to point me in the direction of closer places meeting my requirements.
It took more effort than I would expect the general consumer to put into it.
Old 02-15-22, 11:26 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by himespau
I look at used bike prices that I think are way overpriced and the think about the last time I bought a frame and then all of what I paid for a mix of used and new part to hang on it and realize that I paid at least as much if not more than that and slowly shuffle out of the room with my mouth shut.
I am in the industry and I have been saying for years how I couldn't even afford a new bike if I wanted. We even talked about it 2 shows back on the podcast and I had a great thread out on Twitter that a lot of industry people have been hitting me up on behind the scenes.

BUT... my current road bike I got the frame through an industry friend. Let's just say it was a deal I couldn't refuse. In the end I spent about what a new one with a slightly lower spec would have cost and it took me much longer to get all the parts and build it....but it always seems cheaper when it's $100-$200 at a time.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-15-22, 11:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The amount of scuffing on the crank indicates quite a bit of wear. A new bike has a warranty. A used bike doesn't. even with the better wheels that bike isn't worth the price
Looks like it was ridden by a duck!
Old 02-15-22, 11:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
With regard to pricing of anything- yes yes yes, the concept that an item is worth whatever it can be sold for is correct. At the same time, 999 people can view that item as being overpriced even if 1 person buys it.
The two concepts can both exist. It was worth the cost to the 1 person and it was overpriced to the 999 other people. Neither group is wrong...though one group's opinion is clearly in the majority.

This happens all the time for wastefully crafted boutique stuff from Paul, Silca, etc- a few find value in it being MUSA or inherently limited stock and many others view it as just being overly expensive compared to similar options.
There is no actual right or wrong- both views can apply at the same time.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-15-22, 11:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
There are a lot of situations where "not all buyers have all information." Doesn't make them fools, necessarily. Sometimes the cost of acquiring "all the information" is a barrier. "Over analysis leads to paralysis" comes to mind here. Maybe I could have gotten those shares of Google a little cheaper in 2009. Silly fool.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-15-22, 12:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

As I said before - it's because there's something about the transaction you're missing. The bike in question sold, yes? Then it represented a value that the buyer was willing to pay for. That's how buying and selling works.
Just because a buyer is willing to pay a given price does not mean he/she is not a fool for doing so.

By your logic, nobody has ever made a foolish purchasing decision.

Heck, I have made purchasing decisions that I later realized were foolish. I doubt anyone can say otherwise.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-15-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-15-22, 12:03 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
With regard to pricing of anything- yes yes yes, the concept that an item is worth whatever it can be sold for is correct. At the same time, 999 people can view that item as being overpriced even if 1 person buys it.
The two concepts can both exist. It was worth the cost to the 1 person and it was overpriced to the 999 other people. Neither group is wrong...though one group's opinion is clearly in the majority.

This happens all the time for wastefully crafted boutique stuff from Paul, Silca, etc- a few find value in it being MUSA or inherently limited stock and many others view it as just being overly expensive compared to similar options.
There is no actual right or wrong- both views can apply at the same time.
I'll take issue with that. Sure in a 1 out of 1,000 it would seem like that one person just missed something...but who cares.

On the boutique thing - Paul and Silca, etc. are selling. They have customers. They still exist. Their pricing is just fine for them and their customers.

People who stand on the side and lob grenades about how something is overpriced crap with no value are missing the point at best and at worst are actually just materializing some sort of weird internal jealously or other feeling of deficiency. It's not just in cycling but with everything. So many people are so concerned with how others spend their money.

I've been just as guilty. I know I used to come out (at least 15 years ago) here and complain about how expensive Chris King stuff was and how over priced it was for what little value I believed it represented. "Now" (for over a decade) I'm a dealer. I certainly feel there are things they do that have higher value than others. There are things I think they simply add a sort of boutique tax on to as well. Even if there are plenty of us who feel the same way about it just doesn't really matter unless someone looking to buy has asked for our opinion. Sitting here after the fact and making fun of someone who decided to spend the money because we, using our current system of value, don't see the benefit is really the pastime of the have nots with chips on our shoulders.

Old 02-15-22, 12:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Just because a buyer is willing to pay a given price does not mean he/she is not a fool for doing so.
I'll directly disagree. It always has to do with value perception. I can think of many times I have watched extremely wealthy individuals make buying decisions based on their value with other aspects of the transaction. Price is meaningless without context and your determination that someone is a fool simply based on price displays your lack of understanding of that.

Like I keep repeating - there's something about the transaction you're missing.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-15-22, 12:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I'll directly disagree. It always has to do with value perception. I can think of many times I have watched extremely wealthy individuals make buying decisions based on their value with other aspects of the transaction. Price is meaningless without context and your determination that someone is a fool simply based on price displays your lack of understanding of that.

Like I keep repeating - there's something about the transaction you're missing.
OK, sure. There are no foolish purchasing decisions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.