Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

How big is your fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 03:13 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
How big is your fan?

Just wondering what people use to cool down during indoor training rides? I have a smaller 3 speed fan which would be used to cool a small room on a warm night but I'm finding in my somewhat competitive group rides or races I start to get real hot after about 30 minutes.

Sweat is just a given no matter how hard I ride on the trainer but when I'm putting in a good effort I start to feel a bit unwell getting into the 45 minute mark and it takes me a long time to cool down after my ride and shower. Wondering if it's just a new fan to resolve it or whether I head over to the Pills & Ills forum under the 50 plus group. Something I'm noticing more frequently then I've noticed in the past.
Old 02-16-22, 04:01 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
small 10-12 inch fan only. aimed on my head/shoulders slightly from the side about 20 inches away, no better place for it. typically on speed 2 of 3 unless i get real hot. but...add to that i am in the garage so that helps greatly. i will turn it on about 5 mins in, too cold in the very beginning.

my take is that you just need more air flow, get more fan, or if you'r in a closed room indoors try opening a window and hav ethe fan pull air from it, that woul;d be a free test.
Old 02-16-22, 04:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I work out in an uninsulated detached garage, so it's pretty cool and damp in the winter but sweltering in the summer. I have a 18" circular pedestal fan aimed at my upper body. I also put a cheap box fan that I put near the cracked garage door to pull in fresh air. When it gets really warm, I bring out the air mover and blast it at my torso.
Old 02-16-22, 09:57 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
I train in my garage under the house. It stays pretty cool. I have a three-speed floor fan like in the photo below, plenty of brands available and they're all pretty similar. It's 45cm / 18 inches. Does the job on the "2" setting.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having two fans, one either front side blowing in from an angle.
Old 02-16-22, 10:45 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I picked up one of these after searching for a quiet fan. It's quiet-ish, but it's plenty powerful. I has it pointed more or less at my chest, so not in my face and not only on the legs --and I've never had it higher than the lowest setting. When it's cold in the pain cave, I'll drape a T-shirt over the handlebars that'll block most of the breeze until I'm warmed up:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKXF9VC

Last edited by superdex; 02-16-22 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For superdex:
Old 02-16-22, 11:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've used a Lasko air mover in the front and a pedestal fan behind me, and on intense rides with both on max that's been barely enough. But I ended up making my body acclimatized to cooler temperatures and suffered during even moderately warm temps outside last year, so I've scaled it back with lower fan settings and more endurance/less intense indoor riding.
Old 02-17-22, 12:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts

One model newer than this one. I've loaned it to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet. But, I've never been real big with stationary riding.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-17-22, 06:52 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have a dewalt jobsite fan that runs off my dewalt battery packs. I love that little fan. I have a standard box window fan moving air as well.
Old 02-17-22, 07:57 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

I think I need to up my game on the fan based on what I'm reading and glad to know it's not just me who gets super hot when riding hard. Opening a window makes a ton of sense, just hard to conceive this winter with the extreme cold temperatures we've been having here in the northland. I was doing that back in December when it was warmer but Jan - Feb. have been so cold, I probably couldn't get the window shut!

Really starting to wish it was spring so I can just ride outside. Oh well, keep Zwifting for now.
Old 02-17-22, 08:11 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
small 10-12 inch fan only. aimed on my head/shoulders slightly from the side about 20 inches away, no better place for it. typically on speed 2 of 3 unless i get real hot. but...add to that i am in the garage so that helps greatly. i will turn it on about 5 mins in, too cold in the very beginning.

my take is that you just need more air flow, get more fan, or if you'r in a closed room indoors try opening a window and hav ethe fan pull air from it, that woul;d be a free test.
I'm very similar. The fan is within arms reach so I can turn it on after I warm up. I'm actually chilly at the outset of my ride because my basement in the winter is usually between 57 an 62 °F. The fan is aimed at my head and chest.

I don't use the trainer much in the warmer months. When the ambient room temperature gets above 66 °F, I have a second fan, but it's still uncomfortable...
Old 02-17-22, 08:21 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm very similar. The fan is within arms reach so I can turn it on after I warm up. I'm actually chilly at the outset of my ride because my basement in the winter is usually between 57 an 62 °F. The fan is aimed at my head and chest.

I don't use the trainer much in the warmer months. When the ambient room temperature gets above 66 °F, I have a second fan, but it's still uncomfortable...
sometimes as low as 40 when i start, when it is that cold i need to use toe warmers inside my shoes. but by the end i am pretty darn hot and quite wet, gotta get inside soon after shutting everything down.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-17-22, 08:35 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use a ceiling fan on the middle speed and a Honeywell TurboForce Power fan. It's about 12" diameter. I have it on a Wyze smartplug which allows me to turn it on when I get warmed up.
Old 02-17-22, 01:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
One generic, Home Depot-type box fan, on a chair, to the right of the bike, aimed at my legs and chest. It's within easy reach to turn up or down. A second fan the same size, but it's one of those round ones on a base that allows you to pivot it up and down. It sits on the floor to the left of the bike and is aimed up at my chest and face. If it's cool in the garage (i.e. under 65) I start my warm up with both off. Then I turn the floor fan on to a speed that reflects the workout I'm about to do. The box fan, I turn on, and up as needed, since I can reach the switch with a bit of a lean from the saddle.

If it's REALLY warm - like if I can't ride outside due to air quality - I have a third fan that's MUCH higher powered, but noisy as all hell.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-17-22, 02:18 PM
spelger

ya know what's funny, in the early days when i got started (2 or 3 years ago) with indoor trainer stuff i could only position the fan blowing from the side. i actually got half hot/half tolerable. that only lasted for a month or so till i got things set up properly. and then i had to tear it all apart last summer to make room for the Spit. fan location is ok for cooling but blocks some of the big 40" screen i have.
Old 02-17-22, 04:26 PM
gthomson

Not sure if anyone is on Instagram but I follow GCN, Zwift and Pain Caves and the set up that some people have is incredible. Like, 3 industrial strength fans all around them, big screen TV's specific pain cave lighting (not sure what the point of that is) all their accolades and cool bike related art work on the wall....the list goes on.

My pain cave it just part of my at home office in which I run Zwift from my laptop and view on my 22" monitor. The fan just sits on my filing cabinet. Pain cave is appropriately named on both accounts.
Old 02-17-22, 06:49 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Not sure if anyone is on Instagram but I follow GCN, Zwift and Pain Caves and the set up that some people have is incredible. Like, 3 industrial strength fans all around them, big screen TV's specific pain cave lighting (not sure what the point of that is) all their accolades and cool bike related art work on the wall....the list goes on.

My pain cave it just part of my at home office in which I run Zwift from my laptop and view on my 22" monitor. The fan just sits on my filing cabinet. Pain cave is appropriately named on both accounts.
Some people just use their laptop or tablet for zwift. That's not for me. I have an old (15+ y.o.) 60" screen for zwift. It's supposed to be immersive.

I only have a fan on one side, normally. If there is a second fan, then from both sides. I don't have a stand to position a fan in front of me, and it would block the screen.
Old 02-17-22, 11:00 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
my pain cave is the last few square feet against the wall of the room we also use as the "gift wrap/craft room" -- I have a 32" roku tv and a multiple-year old PC tower with a $90 graphics card in it. What ever gets the job done, right?
Old 02-18-22, 05:27 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts

Old 02-18-22, 08:17 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by nomadmax
when you are on the trainer do you mount the training wheels?
Old 02-19-22, 05:00 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
when you are on the trainer do you mount the training wheels?
Given to me as a gift by a good friend after a nasty crash. I keep them there to remind me, no matter how good you are, inattention can be a killer.
Old 02-19-22, 07:27 AM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Actually, I wouldn't mind having two fans, one either front side blowing in from an angle.
That is my setup: 2 big fans like you've got set an angles to me. Also, I got some cheap smart plugs (2 for $10) so I can turn them on after I've warmed up a little.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 02-20-22, 09:41 AM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts

Here’s my fan set up. I started with the two cheap clip on fans. They were ok, but just. My wife got me the Dyson two years ago for Christmas. What a joy that has been. Comes with a remote for all adjustments, it’s very powerful, and quiet.
Old 02-20-22, 05:20 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Given to me as a gift by a good friend after a nasty crash. I keep them there to remind me, no matter how good you are, inattention can be a killer.
funny stuff, good that you both have a sense of humor.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-21-22, 07:41 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
I have a pair of Honeywell HT-900 (7 inch diameter) and a single HT-908 (12 inch diameter). I have all 3 plugged into a cheap RF remote outlet intended for Christmas tree lights (I can stop/start the fans during my warmup).

This setup works, but if I were buying again I would look at one of the Lasco air movers.

(Pain cave setups: We upgraded our TV in the main room and I snagged the 15yo 45" LCD. It's much better than the old 20" monitor I had rigged up, but the old LCDs throw off a fair amount of heat in an enclosed space).
Old 02-21-22, 09:29 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I have a kickr headwind that I got used off eBay (works but has an annoying rattle - but I also didn't pay their insane full price for it).

When that's not enough, I have a 20" box fan that I can reach over (maybe 2 feet away) and turn on (and then adjust speed as needed). Very rare for me to get that on max and have the headwind on max. Usually on long rides where I'm at my limit but the headwind isn't up all the way (because I have it regulated by my heartrate and I'm just on a long tempo ride so legs/lungs are done but hr isn't at max) is when I need the box fan the most.
Likes For himespau:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.