Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 02:08 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
My observation is that when the handicap accessible curbs came into play , it made it easy for bicycles to ride on the sidewalks . There are times I understand but probably should walk the bike if there are pedestrians present. I don't even ride on MUP's! I am almost always a side of the road guy so yea ...dangerous. There ain't no easy answer , just use your head.
Old 04-21-22, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Never take advice from a vehicular cyclist because their dogmatic ideology will either get you killed or seriously injured and never ever argue and debate with them on how to ride...Just do your own thing and do whatever it takes to make your ride safe.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-21-22, 10:41 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
The city I live outside of has bike lanes. Some are shared with traffic, some are shared with sidewalks but they are always marked. It's my understanding that bikes are never to be ridden on sidewalks otherwise; they are vehicles.
Old 04-22-22, 05:00 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
492.1. A cyclist may not ride a bicycle on a sidewalk except in case of necessity or where directed or allowed to do so by a sign or signal. In such a case, the cyclist must ride at a safe, reasonable speed and give pedestrians the priority.
-Quebec highway code
Old 04-23-22, 05:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I guess it boils down to whether you think cyclist rights are inferior to drivers rights, though I would point out that cycling is a right, whereas driving is a revocable privilege. If you don't believe me, note that even if you are stopped multiple times for cycling under the influence, even if your bike is confiscated, as long as you aren't in jail, or currently inebriated, there is no provision of the law to prohibit you riding a bike on the roadways. It requires neither a license for the operator nor one for the bicycle.

I disagree with that characterization about it, the rights/privileges are different, superior in some instances, inferior in others. If you don't believe me, try riding your bicycle on a restricted interstate.

You are claiming an inherent right of bicyclists to operate in a manner that prevents drivers from passing them in what would otherwise be a legal and safe manner for the sole reason of keeping a peloton-like grouping intact. That's not a privilege that any other type of operator enjoys without also having a huge amount of responsibility for flagmen, *******, etc. Just consider all of the precautions that must be taken for parades and funeral processions, and those are generally quite slow moving.

BTW, when I was a kid in Minneapolis, the police could confiscate an unlicensed bicycle. It's not a constitutional right, it's that enforcing licensing is impractical. They would actually set up roadblocks and stop cyclists to check their bikes. The scheme fell apart because you could see the roadblocks from several blocks away. And MPD always had the reputation of treating people they stopped badly so everyone would turn before getting there, licensed or not.
Old 04-23-22, 06:55 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2695 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You are claiming an inherent right of bicyclists to operate in a manner that prevents drivers from passing them in what would otherwise be a legal and safe manner for the sole reason of keeping a peloton-like grouping intact.
A peloton is pretty much a slow moving vehicle like an overladen truck or something and should be treated as such. The pelotons have caused friction with the communities they go through, and even with the larger cycling community, but they are allowed to continue running unhampered by the police. If someone doesn’t like it they can take it up with the local police department, they won’t be the first or the last, but the pelotons will never be banned. They are legal.
Old 04-23-22, 09:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I disagree with that characterization about it, the rights/privileges are different, superior in some instances, inferior in others. If you don't believe me, try riding your bicycle on a restricted interstate.

You are claiming an inherent right of bicyclists to operate in a manner that prevents drivers from passing them in what would otherwise be a legal and safe manner for the sole reason of keeping a peloton-like grouping intact. That's not a privilege that any other type of operator enjoys without also having a huge amount of responsibility for flagmen, *******, etc. Just consider all of the precautions that must be taken for parades and funeral processions, and those are generally quite slow moving.

BTW, when I was a kid in Minneapolis, the police could confiscate an unlicensed bicycle. It's not a constitutional right, it's that enforcing licensing is impractical. They would actually set up roadblocks and stop cyclists to check their bikes. The scheme fell apart because you could see the roadblocks from several blocks away. And MPD always had the reputation of treating people they stopped badly so everyone would turn before getting there, licensed or not.
I drove my car on the same road I ride on yesterday. Took up the entire traffic lane so that nobody could pass me without going completely into the opposing lane. All by myself. All cars do that all the time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-23-22, 09:27 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
There are a couple of areas in my regular routes where I ride the sidewalk for short distances where there is no shoulder at the intersection. Can't ever remember seeing a pedestrian on those sidewalks. Yeah, I know, take the lane but I feel safer with my decision as it gives me time and space to assess the traffic situation.
Old 04-23-22, 10:25 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
A peloton is pretty much a slow moving vehicle like an overladen truck or something and should be treated as such. The pelotons have caused friction with the communities they go through, and even with the larger cycling community, but they are allowed to continue running unhampered by the police. If someone doesn’t like it they can take it up with the local police department, they won’t be the first or the last, but the pelotons will never be banned. They are legal.
Just because there is no law against peloton or large groups of cyclists hogging the road and impeding traffic doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do....Doing unsanctioned races on public roads or MUPS is pure selfishness and foolishness.
Old 04-23-22, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I drove my car on the same road I ride on yesterday. Took up the entire traffic lane so that nobody could pass me without going completely into the opposing lane. All by myself. All cars do that all the time.

News flash: cars aren't subject to frap laws. Like I said, there's different rights, privileges and obligations imposed on the different operators.

Now let's see you take a group of 50 cars driving 30 mph slower than the speed limit and taking up both right lanes of a 4 lane road to prevent passing.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-23-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 10:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

News flash: cars aren't subject to frap laws. Like I said, there's different rights, privileges and obligations imposed on the different operators.
So close.

Old 04-23-22, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So close.

See my ETA. We crossed
Old 04-23-22, 10:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

See my ETA. We crossed
The thing is, a peloton of 50 riders takes up about as much space on the road as a couple cars. 50 vehicle operators vs 2 or 3. But you're advocating that those 2 or 3 take precedence over the 50.

Old 04-23-22, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The thing is, a peloton of 50 riders takes up about as much space on the road as a couple cars. 50 vehicle operators vs 2 or 3. But you're advocating that those 2 or 3 take precedence over the 50.

I'm advocating that you organize your recreational rides in a manner that doesn't impede other people's use of the road. These giant groups aren't fun for the pedestrians either, not to mention emergency vehicles. I also think your space calculations are absurd, and 50 operators are 47 more people to make coordination mistakes than 3.
Old 04-23-22, 11:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

To be fair, my recreational rides consist of me.

But I'd note that large group rides like the one I'm thinking of, the one Larry Sellerz mentions a lot, happen once a week, on a Saturday morning. It causes some disruption as it passes, but once it has passed it leaves little or no disruption in its wake. It's not like there are 50 bike pelotons rolling down all the roads all the time - it's an occasional thing, limited to a time of limited other traffic, especially along the roads they take. Yes, they can be jerks. But lots of drivers are jerks, too.

Are my space considerations absurd? Well, generally the recommendation for spacing between motor vehicles is a car-length per 10mph. So, 3 cars at 30 MPH = 12 car lengths, roughly 180 feet [3 x (3 car lengths + 1 car), assuming a car length of 15 feet] Think a 50 rider peloton taking the width of the lane takes up more space than that? That's 60 yards!

Old 04-23-22, 11:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
... your recreational rides...
Implication being that these rides are of lesser importance than the usage by others (primarily auto)?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-23-22, 11:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The other thing? Where that ride goes - where MOST group rides on the Peninsula go - the speed limit is 35, and most of the large group rides run in the 20-30 mph range, once they get to the "peloton" stage (some start as a double paceline). There's one section where the limit is 50 mph for about 6 miles, but literally nobody lives along that section, there are no crossroads or stop signs for that entire distance, and there's a parallel freeway about half a mile away.

Last edited by genejockey; 04-23-22 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 11:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Implication being that these rides are of lesser importance than the usage by others (primarily auto)?
This is what I think the point is - a lot of us cyclists internalize the idea that our use of the roads is of lesser importance than motor vehicles. But a cyclist may be going to work, while a driver might just be going for a joy ride. Outside of emergency vehicles and a few others (school buses spring to mind), we don't legally prioritize people's use of the roads. We don't demand that people going out for ice cream yield to people going to work, for example. So, the idea that we should always defer to motor vehicles assumes that whatever they're doing is more important than whatever we're doing.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-23-22, 12:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

But a cyclist may be going to work, while a driver might just be going for a joy ride.
For large majority it's the other way around.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-23-22, 12:57 PM
LarrySellerz

To be fair, my recreational rides consist of me.

But I'd note that large group rides like the one I'm thinking of, the one Larry Sellerz mentions a lot, happen once a week, on a Saturday morning. It causes some disruption as it passes, but once it has passed it leaves little or no disruption in its wake. It's not like there are 50 bike pelotons rolling down all the roads all the time - it's an occasional thing, limited to a time of limited other traffic, especially along the roads they take. Yes, they can be jerks. But lots of drivers are jerks, too.

Are my space considerations absurd? Well, generally the recommendation for spacing between motor vehicles is a car-length per 10mph. So, 3 cars at 30 MPH = 12 car lengths, roughly 180 feet [3 x (3 car lengths + 1 car), assuming a car length of 15 feet] Think a 50 rider peloton taking the width of the lane takes up more space than that? That's 60 yards!
In addition to spectrum, the noon ride happens 5 days a week. The morning ride happens twice a week. Then there is the Egan ride and the Valley ride, not to mention the penvelo sat/sunday rides and soon the tuesday/thursday evening rides should start up again. So thats 14 pelotons going through Portola. (well egan is in los altos but its still close so I count it.) Some of those rides are only like 30 riders but they might get bigger as people become less afraid of covid.
Old 04-23-22, 01:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by wolfchild
For large majority it's the other way around.
The point is, THAT DOESN'T MATTER. If you think it does, you're part of the problem.

Old 04-23-22, 01:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

In addition to spectrum, the noon ride happens 5 days a week. The morning ride happens twice a week. Then there is the Egan ride and the Valley ride, not to mention the penvelo sat/sunday rides and soon the tuesday/thursday evening rides should start up again. So thats 14 pelotons going through Portola. (well egan is in los altos but its still close so I count it.) Some of those rides are only like 30 riders but they might get bigger as people become less afraid of covid.
The Spectrum ride is the only one of its size, though. I mean, the ones I've seen had about 50 people IN FEBURARY!

Old 04-23-22, 01:13 PM
LarrySellerz

The Spectrum ride is the only one of its size, though. I mean, the ones I've seen had about 50 people IN FEBURARY!
Noon rides Tuesday’s/thursdays is close to as big and Egan is probably bigger (more than 100 riders sometimes, it’s a club ride that regroups)
Old 04-23-22, 01:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Noon rides Tuesday’s/thursdays is close to as big and Egan is probably bigger (more than 100 riders sometimes, it’s a club ride that regroups)
That's funny, because Alto Velo says the Egan ride gets about 33 riders a week. I suspect you are prone to overestimation, like thinking people take that hairpin at 40 mph, or some guy was spinning at 200 rpm for a whole ride.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-23-22, 02:53 PM
LarrySellerz

That's funny, because Alto Velo says the Egan ride gets about 33 riders a week. I suspect you are prone to overestimation, like thinking people take that hairpin at 40 mph, or some guy was spinning at 200 rpm for a whole ride.
that’s dated, it’s exploded. I’ll take a video next time I go out to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.