Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Second owner of 84 year-old NSU

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Second owner of 84 year-old NSU

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 04:33 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
The 38 stamped on the hub shell indicates the year of manufacturing.
Likes For martl:
Old 05-10-22, 09:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks like the OP has true "clincher" tires, not the "wired-on" type that we all call "clincher" now.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-10-22, 10:04 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like the OP has true "clincher" tires, not the "wired-on" type that we all call "clincher" now.
Yeah, I remember reading about those in Frank Berto's book. Never seen any in person, unless you count bicycle museums, though. It is nice that the Germans use a different word for these old tires. If you try searching on the internet for old-style "clinchers", you find nothing of pertinence.
Edit, did find the name. They are called beaded edge tyres in most English dialects.

Unfortunately, I think there's nothing to be had stateside due to the prevalence of the "single-tube" bike tires in the US market before they went to the regular wired-on design sometime in the '30s. You can read more about that here.

Just out of curiosity, are the beads on the original tires flexible? Or are they wire beads?
Edit, found out they are built-up with cord but have no wire.

Maybe the 630 (27") are the best way to go if they sorta fit and aren't blowing off the rim!

This was fun to search about. Looks like there are some on alibaba (cheap product and shipping!), but you have to buy a thousand. I'll keep looking for a cheaper-shipped overseas source. Or maybe Canada? Mexico?

Last edited by scarlson; 05-10-22 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 08:16 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I like the NSU's. They have an interesting history of building both bicycles and motorcycles.
Also cars including the first Wankel/rotary engined production vehicle
Old 05-13-22, 10:12 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Huh, OK, so I found some more stuff out.
However, I found this:
https://classic-cycle.com/search?sSearch=beaded+edge
https://classic-cycle.com/wheel-and-...res-28-x-1-1/2
These seem like the actual thing! Unfortunately, shipping is about 80 EUR It's a piece of history you've got there.
Scarlson and everyone, thank-you for spending your valuable time on this bike. The tires on the bike in the photo were 27x1 3.8" I shoehorned on for a while. They were much too short to have the front brake working, and they look lost being so much skinnier than the originals. Buying new tires of 1 1/2" for all that money to gain 1/8" does not seem worth it, unless they are measuring differently and the tires are much bigger than the 1 3/8" tires. Maybe the seller can email a photo of them on an NsU or similar bike. Also I am pretty much impoverished and have much more time than money. But I do not need to ride this bike, it has been hanging in the garage sans tires for a year now, and it is a bit too small for me anyway. I will keep an eye out for the right 1.7" tires, or maybe I will find some freakishly fat 27" tire laying around I can try on it, but I have never heard of any fatter than 1 3/8".
Old 05-20-22, 01:25 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf73
Also cars including the first Wankel/rotary engined production vehicle
The factory is still there and producing Audi A4/5, A6/7 and the A8 line. Neckarsulm has an NSU museum as well: https://demomu.de/

Last edited by martl; 05-20-22 at 01:30 AM.