Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the fundamental difference between "long pull" and "short pull" brake levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What is the fundamental difference between "long pull" and "short pull" brake levers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 09:21 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been helping to fix and tear down bikes lately and I've had to try to learn to make the distinction between short pull and long pull brake levers.

Besides the obvious "one pulls longer than the other" what's the easiest way I can distinguish between the two types, particularly when they are off of the bike? I haven't been able to find a solid answer yet unfortunately.

I have noticed that one type over the other more often has a spring to pull the brake lever back, where the other relies on the spring action of the brake itself. But that's just a casual observation, and not true all of the time.
Old 05-20-15, 09:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Measure the distance between the pivot and the cable anchor.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-20-15, 09:43 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Measure the distance between the pivot and the cable anchor.
Is there a range that one would have over the other? Obviously long pull will have a large distance, but are there general #s I can go by?
Old 05-20-15, 09:48 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Measure a couple types and see for yourself.
Old 05-20-15, 10:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Bill likely is old enough to remember the Frank Berto articles in Bike World and Bicycling mags that did this type of component documenting. There were caliper/lever model combos that would end up with large differences in the leverage factors. Now that no one does this and publish the findings in other then small blogs/web sites it's left to us to find out for our selves. Andy.
Old 05-20-15, 10:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
The difference between so-called long pull and short pull brake levers isn't digital. There's a spectrum, with levers tending to cluster at either end.

Brake makers try to balance total leverage vs. shoe travel (how far they open). There are two places where the leverage is determined; the caliper itself, and the lever, and the makers match these to produce desired result. So long pull levers pull more cable (lower leverage) and are best matched with high leverage calipers, and the opposite for short pull levers.

Historically most brake designs called for levers within a narrow band of leverage and the same levers would work with both caliper and canti brakes. But modern V-brakes have very different geometry and need levers that pull cable than was the historic norm, hence the two basic types today.

In any case, it's easy to determine how much cable a lever will pull. It's directly proportional to the distance from the lever pivot to the cable anchor.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-20-15, 11:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I can give you one numerical example as a start. These measurements are of Tektro road levers and the distances between the cable anchor and the lever pivot are:

Tektro R200 (caliper, cantilever and road mechanical disc brakes) 23 mm
Tektro RL520 (V-brake and MTB mechanical disc brakes) 35 mm

So for these particular levers the "long pull" cable amount is about 150% of the "short pull" models. Other makes will vary a bit but this is a good starting point.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-20-15, 11:41 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
O
Originally Posted by HillRider
I can give you one numerical example as a start. These measurements are of Tektro road levers and the distances between the cable anchor and the lever pivot are:

Tektro R200 (caliper, cantilever and road mechanical disc brakes) 23 mm
Tektro RL520 (V-brake and MTB mechanical disc brakes) 35 mm

So for these particular levers the "long pull" cable amount is about 150% of the "short pull" models. Other makes will vary a bit but this is a good starting point.
I've posted numbers of mine here years ago. I think the short pulls I had avaliable to measure on were 28 mm, and my long pulls 35 or more. Then a pair of Codas straddling the difference at 32 mm.
Old 03-13-22, 07:14 AM
mossybikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corrado33
Is there a range that one would have over the other? Obviously long pull will have a large distance, but are there general #s I can go by?
Long pull is typically around 35mm and short pull 25mm. Measure from the centre of the bolt that the lever pivots on to the centre of the cable head. Most levers clearly fit at either end of that range.
Old 03-13-22, 08:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You realize you've answered a question posed almost 7 years ago? Zombie thread.
Old 03-13-22, 09:25 AM
mossybikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
You realize you've answered a question posed almost 7 years ago? Zombie thread.
I felt that the previous posters we're unnecessarily condescending--like you they failed to add useful information to the dialogue.

My answer is succinct and accurate. Hopefully it will support future wrenches in learning this simple and important difference.
Likes For mossybikes:
Old 03-13-22, 09:32 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
News to me.

When I needed to use brake levers on a flat bar for side pull brakes, I took them off scrap bikes that were already set up for that.

Now I know what to look for
Old 03-13-22, 09:36 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mossybikes
I felt that the previous posters we're unnecessarily condescending--like you they failed to add useful information to the dialogue.

My answer is succinct and accurate. Hopefully it will support future wrenches in learning this simple and important difference.

I see you're new here. You should probably get used to the above in posts, because it's part of playing the game here. More so in some sub forums than others.

were, not we're
Old 03-13-22, 10:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts

Being one of those who did reply to this thread way back when I took the above as a reason to review what was said and how I felt the posts were meant. I have to say I don't agree with mossybikes in describing the posts as having a lack of advice or being condescending. Of the 6 reply posts from others 3 have numbers/dimensions, 1 offers some history and 2 were the best teacher's reply (measure it yourself). Note that none of these posts had any personal insults or personality assumptions. Andy
Old 03-13-22, 10:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
To add my experience to this - I went to long pull levers unintentionally when I bought a pair of used levers for the huge hoods I could wrap all my fingers under. Handles for out of the saddle climbing on the fix gear of my photo. Put Shimano dual pivot calipers n the bike. (Bought used and I still don't know what model.) First ride - love these handles! And braking is rather different. No modulation in the lever handle, but lots in the effect of hand squeeze force. Well, 6 months later I rode the bike up and down McKenzie Pass. Up on a 42-23. Down on a 12 tooth. That was a blast! Until I came to a blind corner that was far tighter. Grabbed two fistfuls of brake hard like my life depended on it. (No way my pedal was making that corner!) And to my surprise, nothing happened; except I slowed down a whole bunch and made the corner easily. No skidding. And I was sold. OK, braking from the tops is harder and less effective. But from the drops? Real stoppers using all the tires had to offer. Far better than any dual pivots and regular levers I'd ever ridden. More like an old Mafac setup except instead of modulating lever travel, I was now modulating lever pressure.

I've changed out that first V-brake lever set for modern Tekro (much better thought out and easier to work on) and put them on my other dual pivot bike and my canti bike. Only bikes with regular levers are my two Mafac bikes. This does mean that I ride more often in the drops, especially in traffic or marginal conditions. Much like I was told to by my club's veterans when I started racing; long before the '00s love of life on brifters started. (This also means "throwback thinking" re: braking with other riders behind me. When I raced my Grand Compe equipped Fuji in the '70s I kept in mind the Campy riders behind me (that was virtually everybody) didn't have my stopping power.)

I love good stopping power. And the secret isn't braking force, it is control.

And to identifying which is which, regular pull vs long pull - not perfect, but the clues are - super long hoods; probably long pull. Squeeze thew laver and look in. Cable comes to the lever top? Long pull. You have to reach in a bit to install that new cable end - short pull. And as said above, it's a range, not a hard and fast rule.
\
Edit: I just wish cars were so simple. My Prius would be a much better stopper with me driving if I would swap out the brake pedal for long-pull. I learned to drive in a Willys Jeep. First car a '71 VW bus. The Prius braking is so sensitive I should be driving barefoot.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-13-22 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-13-22, 11:33 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I have some of these levers, I think the quality is great, price is right, and the leverage is adjustable from short to long as well as the length of pull. 2 armadillos with 1 brick.

Tektro Eclipse MT2.1 Levers
https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Eclips.../dp/B004CS7JAU

Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers
https://planetcyclery.com/avid-speed...SABEgJcLvD_BwE
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-13-22, 05:56 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I use a simple "rule of thumb." Place your thumb between the pivot and the cable. If the radius is about the width of your thumb, it's short pull. If you can easily see the pivot and cable around your thumb, it's long pull. As mentioned years ago, it's best to compare samples first.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 03-13-22, 06:12 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Pretty judgemental for someone making their first post.
Ignore list.
I have a lot more experience being judgemental.
Old 05-16-22, 09:17 PM
shortnugly
shortnugly

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Old Raleigh Technium Peak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I have some of these levers, I think the quality is great, price is right, and the leverage is adjustable from short to long as well as the length of pull. 2 armadillos with 1 brick.

Glad I ran across this thread.
Grizzly59 , your post was the most informative.
Good info and to the point.

Last edited by shortnugly; 05-16-22 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-22, 06:14 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59

Do those Tektro Eclipse levers have a full metal/alloy body? They look like a great value.
Old 05-17-22, 06:22 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Must admit that when I read the first few answers to the original post, I did wince a bit. Sometimes I think we can do better.
Old 05-17-22, 07:05 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Glad it was resurrected. Gained a grain of knowledge.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-17-22, 07:29 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Do those Tektro Eclipse levers have a full metal/alloy body? They look like a great value.
mine are all aluminum, here’s the link-

https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=68
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 05-19-22, 07:18 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I bought a set of Shimano SORA levers to be used with center-pull brakes (so, short-pull). They were $16. When I received them, I noticed that they (like the levers in grizzly59's post ^^) were adjustable for either short or long pull.

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I use a simple "rule of thumb." Place your thumb between the pivot and the cable. If the radius is about the width of your thumb, it's short pull. If you can easily see the pivot and cable around your thumb, it's long pull.
Looking at my new levers, I find that this "Rule of Thumb" is spot-on.

A Shimano SORA brake lever.

A close-up of the SORA brake lever. The pivot is the black circle at the top. The cable attaches to the silver fitting, which can be moved farther from the pivot to the hole near the bottom of this image.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-20-22, 07:45 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Shimano's definition of long pull is really long. The ones I have from them have a >40mm measurement between the cable anchor and the pivot. This applies to V-brake only (non adjustable) levers and the convertible levers as pictured above. Avid FR-5 levers (marketed as long pull) are about 32mm. I prefer the shorter pull radius of the Avid long pull vs. Shimano long pull for the brakes I use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.