Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

yet another reason to hate the nypd

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-23-06, 07:52 AM
luckycat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As if there were not enough as it is, a nypd tow truck plowed into a cyclist last night on the west side bike path. For those of you from out of town or not familiar with the path it runs along the hudson river the length of manhattan, and is physically separated from traffic, except for a few intersections where motorists can cross the path. There are huge signs at all these intersections to yield to cyclists. Apparently these don't apply to the nypd. The cyclist is in critical condition at St Vincents, the tow truck driver walked away without even a ticket.

I haven't found anything in the papers, but the story is running every twenty minutes or so on NY1 this morning.
Old 06-23-06, 07:55 AM
luckycat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually here's a couple links to the story, though they don't say much.

https://www.wnbc.com/news/9415133/detail.html

https://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=4298952

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-361987c.html
Old 06-23-06, 08:01 AM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I *heart*
NY

Old 06-23-06, 08:07 AM
mrRed
we're here, we steer!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate that part of the path, where traffic crosses over. It happens at a few places, although there is a red signal for bicyclists there, so I'm sure the driver will get off scott free, without as much as chastisement.
Old 06-23-06, 08:09 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<i>There are huge signs at all these intersections to yield to cyclists. Apparently these don't apply to the nypd.</i>

so why do all the reports say that the cyclist may have been running a red then. They even show the bike specific traffic light in question.
Old 06-23-06, 08:11 AM
shishi

Bikes: Sparton(custon track), Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike paths/lanes here, IMO, are the most dangerous things for a cyclist. As silly as this may sound, you are safer riding down the middle of 6th Avenue.
Old 06-23-06, 08:12 AM
dirty cookie
ride everything

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dutret, have you ever ridden on that path? it is extremely dangerous bc of these crossings. i feel they are poorly marked for both cyclists and cars.
Old 06-23-06, 08:15 AM
mrRed
we're here, we steer!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are very poorly marked, and due to the landscaping and retaining walls, at quite a few of the crossings, but the bicyclists and motorists are blind to the other until only a few feet away from the intersection.
Old 06-23-06, 08:17 AM
willus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the crazy thing about this story is they sent a camera crew to the spot happened to catch another cyclist being hit by a car...
Old 06-23-06, 08:22 AM
mrRed
we're here, we steer!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
link to that story?
Old 06-23-06, 08:23 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrRed
They are very poorly marked, and due to the landscaping and retaining walls, at quite a few of the crossings, but the bicyclists and motorists are blind to the other until only a few feet away from the intersection.
Which are all good reasons to have a lights controlling the intersections as it appears as though there is at this one. If the guy was running a light it was his own damn fault.

There is no reason at all to hate the NYPD or anyone else if they hit some dum**** cyclist running a light through a blind intersection. Since there are no trustworthy witnesses mentioned I see no reason to hate anyone over this guy getting hurt. Maybe it was his fault maybe not only he, his wife and the driver will ever know.
Old 06-23-06, 08:27 AM
luckycat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the thing about the lights, the bike lights on the path are green at the same time as the ones on the west side hwy. When you get a red light on the path or the hwy(these both run north/south), it means that crosstown traffic has a green light. All the reports I have seen stated that the tow truck driver was coming from the west side hwy, so if the cyclist was running the red light than so was the tow truck driver.
Old 06-23-06, 08:29 AM
shishi

Bikes: Sparton(custon track), Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
Which are all good reasons to have a lights controlling the intersections as it appears as though there is at this one. If the guy was running a light it was his own damn fault.

There is no reason at all to hate the NYPD or anyone else if they hit some dum**** cyclist running a light through a blind intersection. Since there are no trustworthy witnesses mentioned I see no reason to hate anyone over this guy getting hurt. Maybe it was his fault maybe not only he, his wife and the driver will ever know.
Have you ever been on the the Westside Highway path?
Old 06-23-06, 08:49 AM
gfrance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
luckycat has got it right. This towtruck has no excuse NOT to at least get a ticket. It makes no sense. And I saw the NY1 report this morning too--amazing how they happened to be there to witness the very same kind of thing. I've ridden the path 100's of times but rarely at night. I usually ride it too fast, but at the intersections, you do need to keep a heads up.
Old 06-23-06, 08:55 AM
BadAssBiker
Not Badass, it's Tim.

Bikes: NJS Peloton, 2002 fuji track, 2002 fuji league (MIA), 2005 bianchi pista, Chopper from NoName Customs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on the path yesterday and noticed that one of the bike lights was out near the NYPD towing facility, first light heading north if I remember right. Almost got me, and I would like to think I'm not a "dum****" cyclist.

As it was pointed out in another thread, dutret can drop the knowledge. I respect that, but stop being such an argumentative ****. It makes me want to punch your internet face.
Old 06-23-06, 08:59 AM
mrRed
we're here, we steer!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what lucky cat said. If the tow truck was going southbound on the highway, than he legally has to have a green light to turn (no turns on red in NYC), so the bicyclists would also have a green. If the bicyclists was running the red than so was the tow truck driver.

Dutret, unless you know about the path, I think it would behoove you to try and find out what you're talking about before you open your mouth (open your fingers?? ****, I don't know what the correct wording is, but you get my drift). The NYPD has a reputation of making illegal moves in their vehicles during non-emergencies, and I would not be surprised if they were somehow at fault here.

For the time being, we'll wait and see what information comes out.
Old 06-23-06, 09:08 AM
chimpo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shishi
bike paths/lanes here, IMO, are the most dangerous things for a cyclist. As silly as this may sound, you are safer riding down the middle of 6th Avenue.
I completely agree.

I believe this is the only city in this country where you are actually safer riding on city streets and traffic as opposed to designated bike paths and lanes. Also, there is a complete lack of respect for cyclists and cyclists' rights in this city. Hit a pedestrian you would most likely be ticketed or jailed. Hit a cyclist nothing happens.
Old 06-23-06, 09:08 AM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to what's already been stated, if the truck was turning right that means it was southbound. The cyclist was northbound. It would not have been hard for the truck driver to see the cyclist had he LOOKED.
Old 06-23-06, 09:20 AM
sashae
ganbatte!

Bikes: '06 Vanilla touring, '09 Vanilla cx, Zanconato cx, Moots Psychlo-X RSL prototype, Nagasawa track, Kalavinka track, Black Cat 29er, Cannondale Rize 2 26er, Serotta CRL Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've almost been nailed by a garbage truck pulling into the depots on that path before... scary as hell. There's pretty much nowhere 100% safe to ride in the city, really sucks :/
Old 06-23-06, 09:28 AM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret

There was no mention in the written reports that the cyclist ran a red light. And as others have said, based on the facts of where the cyclist and truck were, then the driver was at fault.

And I would not hold anything the police have to say about the incident as the truth.

on edit:

The accident occurred when the truck started to make a right turn into the tow pound and hit the northbound cyclist. The woman stopped before reaching the intersection.

It wasn't immediately clear who had the light.
Old 06-23-06, 09:56 AM
luckycat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on that path a lot, if you can get out there early in the morning(before it gets too crowded with runners and bladers and peds) it's a really nice place for a ride. Some of the intersections are sketchy, especially down towards chelsea piers where some shrubs block your view of the traffic next to you(and probably block their view of you as well). But the visibility near the impound lot is just fine but I've learned to be very cautious around that intersection due to how the tow truck guys drive. They are, by far, the most aggressive and reckless drivers I've encountered on the path. Even the garbage trucks further up north are much more cautious.
Old 06-23-06, 09:59 AM
celephaiz
I sing the body electric

Bikes: 2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fact that tow truck drivers are aggressive heartless bastards isn't news, its a sad fact. You don't go into that profession if you don't have those qualities.
Old 06-23-06, 10:10 AM
luckycat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Celephaiz, very true, and even if they don't have those qualities when they start I'm sure they develop them pretty quickly.
Old 06-23-06, 10:12 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i've had some problems with that tow truck turn off area as well. i've seen those guys shoot into and outta there well above a safe speed and many times without even looking. considering that they must cross a heavily used MUP (even at 11pm in the summer) driving like that is very reckless. it doesn't even matter if you have a green light you have to slow down.

alternately, the busses a little bit up the road are so much easier to deal with. they usually operate very slowly and yield the right of way correctly. i think they must have greater accountability if someone gets hurt.
Old 06-23-06, 10:13 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=60458

One thing not mentioned was whether the cyclist had a headlight. I know the path has streetlamps, but it's still hard to see at that time of night.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.