Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Forums Zwifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Forums Zwifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 08:59 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
Bike Forums Zwifters?

I am curious to know how many in the BFC&V forum are avid (or casual) Zwifters? I started riding indoors around three years ago with a Saris H3 trainer and Zwift software. Winter is 4-6 months around Wisconsin so this has been a most enjoyable way to ride year round. Personally I love it, and always look forward to getting back on Zwift at the end of the spring/summer/fall outdoor riding season.

Are there other's in this forum who Zwift? If so, perhaps we could put together a club in Zwift and even design our own vintage kit.
Likes For Maohaus:
Old 04-06-22, 09:26 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I log a lot of miles on zwift. Currently I'm running my Cannondale R800 with a TacX Flux2. I'd love to do a group ride with other BF members!
Old 04-06-22, 09:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I use my '93 Bridgestone XO 2 on my zwift trainer (which is a Saris M2). Zwift is awesome in the winter but I'll occasionally ride it year around. Doing a BF virtual ride would be fun.
Old 04-06-22, 10:06 AM
Maohaus

Good to know I am not the only one from BFCV out in the Zwift world. I have created a Zwift club called "Bike Forums Classic and Vintage" in Zwift. Initially I just used their clip art and graphics. I also left it open to anyone to join. So, you'all are welcome to join!

For the record I found a used Fuji Newest 2.0 aluminum bike on Craig's List for $250 that was practically new. I used to use my Trek Domane road bike but got tired of swapping in and out of the trainer as the weather turned from week to week. Obviously, the weight and riding characteristics of a frame in a trainer is of no consequence. So, I would recommend anyone looking at getting a trainer is to just go find a good used bike and leave it in the trainer. Then you are not wearing out your good road bike and it is so much more convenient.

Hope to see you 'all out in Watopia.

Likes For Maohaus:
Old 04-06-22, 10:21 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
C&V Zwifting:

Old 04-06-22, 12:18 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
We may have met at Brazen.....

You are not alone on Zwift, C&V and I'll look it up.
After 16 centuries in 11 states last year, including a double in your home state, I'm way down this year.
Like you, setup x2. (Kickr Smart, E-Flex stand, Macbook, 32" TV, Zwift).
Like you, trying to decide the appropriate bike (Her: Specialized Amira, Me: '85 Raleigh Competition)
I'm thinking I'm better off using a beat up Kestrel frame, since we don't need any wheels.

Thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by Maohaus
Good to know I am not the only one from BFCV out in the Zwift world. I have created a Zwift club called "Bike Forums Classic and Vintage" in Zwift. Initially I just used their clip art and graphics. I also left it open to anyone to join. So, you'all are welcome to join!

For the record I found a used Fuji Newest 2.0 aluminum bike on Craig's List for $250 that was practically new. I used to use my Trek Domane road bike but got tired of swapping in and out of the trainer as the weather turned from week to week. Obviously, the weight and riding characteristics of a frame in a trainer is of no consequence. So, I would recommend anyone looking at getting a trainer is to just go find a good used bike and leave it in the trainer. Then you are not wearing out your good road bike and it is so much more convenient.

Hope to see you 'all out in Watopia.

Old 04-06-22, 12:50 PM
Maohaus

Yes was selling at brazen

Nice job with all those centuries under your belt. Especially with the travel time to different states. Think I may have done six last year. My favorite was the 200 km horribly hilly 100s with 12,000 ft of climbing. Next time you're in Wisconsin I'm always up for a ride
Likes For Maohaus:
Old 04-06-22, 12:56 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
I started Zwifting this winter season after hearing about it for several years from various friends. I've always hated riding indoors, but I have to say that Zwift makes it fun to a degree and a very good workout. I was riding 3-4 times a week through early March, but have dropped off since as I've been riding outdoors instead! Still, I imagine I'll still jump on the indoor bike once or twice a week through riding season. Here's my C&V setup:

A very rusty Lemond Tourmalet on a Wahoo Kickr Core. No big flatscreen, just my MacBook Pro.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-06-22, 02:25 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Seasonal Zwifter here, I put about 1000 miles a year on Zwift.......those are actual miles not "zwift" miles.
Old 04-07-22, 02:02 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Maohaus
Nice job with all those centuries under your belt. Especially with the travel time to different states. Think I may have done six last year. My favorite was the 200 km horribly hilly 100s with 12,000 ft of climbing. Next time you're in Wisconsin I'm always up for a ride
RAW was my favorite, by far (pun intended, clocked 230 that day).
Nicest was Big Dam 100 in Little Rock.
Hotter’n Hell in TX was an experience I’d do again.
Horsey Hundred 2-day (100/75) was odd due to weather.

Done with Thunder Ridge in VA.
Never doing Horribly Hilly again.
I punched that ticket and next time I climb to Blue Mounds Park, it will be in a car to swim in that pool.
Old 04-07-22, 06:30 AM
alexihnen 

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
I’ve been on Zwift more days than not since 2017. Never have time to get outside and so the indoor trainer has been it. Just got a Stages bike and love it. If anyone’s interested in B racing, let me know.
Likes For alexihnen:
Old 04-07-22, 07:02 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I've been Zwifting since 2017 mostly in the winter months but keep my subscription running 12 months for rainy days or when it's stinking hot. At one point I had tried to set up a box store vintage bike on the trainer but found the rear hub space was too narrow so it didn't fit the trainer well.
I ended up buying another road bike and then retired the one I had to be a dedicated Zwift bike and all has been good since. Keeps the vintage bikes out on the road.

Would be interested in joining a C&V group ride some time and having a classic jersey to show off. Now how about getting more C&V bikes to ride in Zwift, than just the Zwift Steel bike?
Old 04-07-22, 08:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
After getting hit last spring, almost all of my riding has been done on Zwift since I was healthy enough to build a new bike and get back on it. 1989/90-ish Colnago Super Piu (resto-modded with Campagnolo 10 speed triple) on a Elite Direto XR. Mid-C level racer.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-07-22, 11:39 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
I started on Zwift in April 2020 after my wife gave me a smart trainer for my birthday during the beginning of the pandemic. Once the pandemic eased up I got back out on the road. However, In the last 18 months I've had several large scalp surgeries for skin cancers and would be relegated to Zwift again until I was allowed to wear a helmet again. I missed the entire winter riding season (possible in Texas) with the last series of surgeries, but was able to keep fit on Zwift.
Old 04-08-22, 07:05 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I started on Zwift in April 2020 after my wife gave me a smart trainer for my birthday during the beginning of the pandemic. Once the pandemic eased up I got back out on the road. However, In the last 18 months I've had several large scalp surgeries for skin cancers and would be relegated to Zwift again until I was allowed to wear a helmet again. I missed the entire winter riding season (possible in Texas) with the last series of surgeries, but was able to keep fit on Zwift.
Heal well my friend and hope you get back on the road soon. Zwift is great for emulating cycling when we can't do the real thing.
Old 04-08-22, 07:42 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Heal well my friend and hope you get back on the road soon. Zwift is great for emulating cycling when we can't do the real thing.
My first ride outdoors was on March 2nd. On my second ride three days later, I had a slow speed crash while fighting a brutal headwind when I was distracted and dropped the front wheel off the edge of the road. I guess I forgot that I needed to watch where I was going after being on Zwift so long. At least I remembered that I couldn't ride through another rider like you do on Zwift.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 04-08-22, 09:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Yeah I zwift. I havent done it nearly as often as I want or should do this winter, but I get on there at least once a week. In Nov and Dec I was on there a few times a week which was my goal for the winter.

1989 Tange 1 road frame with 11sp 105 shifting mounted to a Tacx Flux direct drive. I run zwift thru AppleTV because it was the cheapest way to get connected after being frustrated with a laptop and dropping signals. It is such a fast and simple system now.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-08-22, 10:21 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I would LOVE some help in joining the "Bike Forums Classic and Vintage" club in zwift... maybe it's because I primarily manage stuff through the website, and there isn't support there? Anyway... Ride On!
Old 04-08-22, 12:02 PM
Maohaus

If you have the Companion App, just go to the dropdown menu and click on "Clubs". From there search Bike Forums Classic and Vintage
Likes For Maohaus:
Old 10-19-22, 06:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Just pulled out the indoor set up tonight for the cold season.

Tacx Flux S direct drive trainer.
2x11 105 drivetrain.
Old Tange 1 steel frame with powdercoat.
Some foam pipe insulation to cover a couple main tubes and eliminate sweat corrosion.
Trainer thong to catch sweat from getting into the headset or on top tube.
Cheap phone holder for easy access to music and zwift companion app.
Velcro pouch to hold the appletv remote.
Fan, small front wheel holder, and rubber mat too.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-20-22, 04:50 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Some foam pipe insulation to cover a couple main tubes
I'll be copying that good idea. Covered mine with Saran wrap and it's not great.

I like Zwift for about an hour. The lack of motion makes my tail hurt a lot more than riding in the real. Wahoo Kickr Core and a Centurion DLX.
Old 10-20-22, 06:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I'll be copying that good idea. Covered mine with Saran wrap and it's not great.

I like Zwift for about an hour. The lack of motion makes my tail hurt a lot more than riding in the real. Wahoo Kickr Core and a Centurion DLX.
One of these days I'm going to buy or build myself a rocker plate. I used to ride on rollers with a fork stand (and the rollers were on a platform that I'd built that provided fore/aft motion). I really liked all the motion that provided (side to side on the rollers and fore/aft on the platform), but I went through a couple of fork stands (the guy who built them said that they weren't designed to handle what I was doing to them and actually welded my last one together special for me after it broke because he'd stopped building them - I didn't want to tell him when I cracked those welds one last time), and I never got good enough at riding without the stand to feel like I could do races/workouts on rollers, so I went to the Direto XR, which definitely makes me feel locked in place. If there were a way to attach a regular rocker plate to my old roller platform, it'd be perfect, but, since my roller platform is only 24" wide and the rocker plates are all like 3' wide, I'd be afraid of tipping over if I did too much rocking on it. Would save a lot of money though as the rockers with fore/aft motion aren't cheap.

I use one of those bike thong style wraps like mstateglfr to protect my top tube/headset. Sometimes the strap rubs on my legs, so it's not great. I actually just built up a Ti frame and put that on the trainer in place of my old steel bike with the thought that I might take the bike thong off if I didn't have to worry about corroding a steel frame. Feels odd having my lightest (by a couple pounds - haven't weighed but Ti frame +carbon fork Merckx vs lugged Columbus SP Colnago frame with steel fork) on the trainer where weight doesn't matter, but I don't want to ruin the paint on my pretty Colnago and the bare Ti is less sensitive to sweat. Do folks with carbon frames worry about the corrosion?
Old 10-20-22, 06:20 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
I got back on the Zwift train this past week, and it’ll see plenty of time from now until March. My setup is a Wahoo Kickr Core, my laptop on a plant stand, and a Lemond Tourmalet that’s terribly rusty already, so I don’t worry about the dripping sweat.

Old 10-20-22, 06:56 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
One of these days I'm going to buy or build myself a rocker plate.
Me too. I'll post up when I'm done. The fore-aft motion is new to me, I'll look this up.
Old 10-20-22, 08:00 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Ok. I just bought a trainer and am going to give Zwift a try based on this thread. Might I be able to ask the group for help (if needed) as this a all new stuff for me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.