Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2022 Gravel aero bikes

Old 05-10-22, 01:56 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I am better off losing another 10-15 pounds off of my magic meat covered skeleton before turning to aero gains. We're cyclists, so the lure of just paying money to get a gain is part of the dna.
Likes For SCTinkering:
Old 05-11-22, 01:00 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I think most people ride their gravel bikes fast enough and long enough that aero does make a difference. With 32mm gravel king slicks I ride above 18mph all the time.
A typical ride would be 30 miles on the road before I hit gravel. The aero would be helpful. If I riding chunky/technical 100% of the time below 10 mph I probably should not be on a drop bar bike. The drop bar is for aero. If the trail I am riding is so slow that aero is not helpful I will bring my mnt bike instead.

AT WHAT SPEED DOES AERODYNAMICS MATTER ON A BIKE?

At what speeds do aerodynamics make a difference on a bicycle?

At speeds over 10 mph (16 kph), aerodynamic (aero) drag becomes the dominant force of resistance, with no wind on flat terrain:
  • At 18 mph (29 kph) it becomes 80% of the resistance
  • 25 mph (40 kph) it becomes 90% of the dominant force
  • At 6 mph (10 kph) air resistance becomes a discernible resistance factor (but less than rolling resistance)
Old 05-11-22, 07:34 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I think Aero for gravel is rather silly, but if you are looking at aero for the road portion of your ride that makes sense.

Aero really starts to make a difference over 20mph. Below 15 it isn't much of a factor. Generally I'm not doing over 15 on gravel solo (but sometimes in a pack, and always for that sprint).

I recently got some 3T wheels. Aero wise seem to do pretty good in a 20-30mph range (including apparent wind) with slicks. Any knobs is likely to ruin the air flow over the wheels. Then again, it may just be the placebo effect.
Originally Posted by chas58
I wrote it, lol.
It's based off of actual data. Something over 15mph the aero starts being greater than rolling resistance. Much over 20 its starting to dwarf rolling resistance. It goes up exponentially (where rolling resistance goes up linearly). But, if you have some better data, let me know.

I'll sprint at 40mph in a velodrome, so ya I care then. Solo gravel ride, it doesn't make much difference to me in my opinion.

Part of it is what I'm wearing. On the track, I'm full lycra. On gravel I'm often baggy and casual. What I put on my body has a HUGE impact on aero - more than my bike. Still, its all good. Sometimes I'm doing 30mph sprints on gravel! Lord knows, in a head wind, it is more about apparent wind than about my bike speed.
Yeah I'm thinking about this bike for a mostly road application, with a few miles of gravel to connect paved roads. Most every ride is over 15mph, gravel or not. I would keep my Warbird for the strictly long gravel routes we do around here.
My buddy has an Open, I hadn't really considered that frame but I'll throw a leg over his. It sure does look nice, I will admit.