Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1974 Peugeot UO-8 Blue Worth?

Old 09-29-16, 09:25 AM
thatnerd223

Bikes: Giant Revolt, 1964 Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1974 Peugeot UO-8 Blue Worth?

I have come by a vintage peugeot UO-8 that does not look modified except for the tires. I plan on fixing it up to working condition. The question is after that, should i sell it and use the money to get a modern road bike or should i use it as a road bike for myself? What is it worth in a referbrished condition?
Old 09-29-16, 09:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 1,859 Times in 1,217 Posts
I see people asking $200 or so for these but they tend not to move. It's a great bike but at the end of the day it is made of hi tensile steel, the rims are steel, the cranks are cottered, and the original derailleurs have issues. I think it's a $100-$150 bike at best.

It is also well worth while to fix on up as a rider. They make terrific commuters and town bikes.
Old 09-29-16, 11:10 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
UO8 was a low-end bike, by Peugeot standards. Probably cost $100 when new. Uses French threaded components, which are a hassle to replace. High-tensile steel frame is very heavy by today's standards. A lot of these older low-end Peugeots are getting converted to fixies for yuppie commuting.
Old 09-29-16, 11:17 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 371 Posts
Without pics it's tough to say, we don't even know if you actually identified the bike correctly.

UO-8 and P8 variants ready-to-ride in my area usually sell for $125-$175 depending on the condition so you're unlikely to net much money on resale. I've seen some in perfectly-mint, fully torn-down and rebuilt from ground up sell as high as $250, but in a very desirable color (green/purple/orange draw more $$) and with no kickstand damage.

The UO-8 was an underrated bike, classy, albeit heavy. If it's in great shape, it's totally worth keeping. Upgraded with alloy wheels you'll shave a pound or three and they become more rideable (save the old wheels). For less than $100 in parts you can have a practically new, fully-serviced bike if you have the knowledge and tools to do the work.
Old 09-29-16, 11:20 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
Uses French threaded components, which are a hassle to replace.
Only two parts of the bike are French- or Swiss-threaded (headset, BB cups). Maybe the freewheel, but that's an unknown Many of the late 70s U-O8 were Swiss-thread BB which is close to BSA.

Not a major hassle for anyone either way, most ppl don't need to touch the headset, and you can pick up new cups on Amazon cheap if you really needed to replace them.

It'd be a much bigger problem is if the crankset was cottered. The UO-8 was sold in both cottered and cotterless.
Old 09-29-16, 11:34 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Only two parts of the bike are French- or Swiss-threaded (headset, BB cups). Maybe the freewheel, but that's an unknown Many of the late 70s U-O8 were Swiss-thread BB which is close to BSA.

Not a major hassle for anyone either way, most ppl don't need to touch the headset, and you can pick up new cups on Amazon cheap if you really needed to replace them.

It'd be a much bigger problem is if the crankset was cottered. The UO-8 was sold in both cottered and cotterless.
OP states machine is 1974.

Forgetteth thou the pedals? The handlebar stem? The handlebar center?
Old 09-29-16, 11:42 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by juvela View Post
OP states machine is 1974.

Forgetteth thou the pedals? The handlebar stem? The handlebar center?
We can only assume their dating is correct and it's actually a UO-8. If I had a dollar for every inaccurate dating of a bike...

For pedals, re-tap is easy enough and there probably isn't any reason to tinker with anything in the cockpit, so it's moot IMO.
Old 09-29-16, 12:10 PM
fastturtle

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother received a UO-8 as a teenager in the late seventies (I remember that well because I borrowed it and crashed it while still very new. Brother was not happy). He still has it and uses it sometimes, just for fun. I have tested it a few years ago and I must say I was not impressed. I found it rather sluggish.
The gearing of this particular bike was particularly stupid, with two chainwheels so similar (52/45 ?) that this just added 1 extra gear to the 5 rear cogs.
Old 09-29-16, 12:36 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
We can only assume their dating is correct and it's actually a UO-8. If I had a dollar for every inaccurate dating of a bike...

For pedals, re-tap is easy enough and there probably isn't any reason to tinker with anything in the cockpit, so it's moot IMO.
Do not question that pedal thread may be moot to you but it is something poster will have to deal with and which may not be moot to them.
Old 09-29-16, 08:00 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by juvela View Post
Do not question that pedal thread may be moot to you but it is something poster will have to deal with and which may not be moot to them.
We're assuming the bike still has the original crank and pedals. W/o pics it's an unknown. Heck, we don't even know if it's the original fork, so the headseat and associated bits may not even be FR/CH thread.
Old 10-02-16, 06:44 PM
thatnerd223

Bikes: Giant Revolt, 1964 Peugeot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cranks, wheels, handlebars (ATAX), pedals, fork, saddle, brake calipers, brake levers, and shifter system ALL have a "Made in France" imprint. The frame still has it's original decorations.
The only thing that I have found that was replaced was the brake pads, tires, and at some time, the bike was serviced or sold at a bike shop in MT (the shops logo was still on the frame but in bad condition as well as being put on slightly side-ways).
At some point, the stem shifter system was taken off, serviced or maybe replaced, and the one put back on was overly tightened (and caused multiple minute indentions into the original ATAX stem.

This is just about all I have found as to the originality and history of the bike.
Old 10-02-16, 08:57 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
There's some novelty to an all-original or mostly-original 40-year-old bike, but it doesn't necessarily translate into monetary value. Peugeot UO-8's were abundant and cheap when they were new, and they still are.

Even though a UO-8 won't make you much money, it's still a nice bike in its own way. It's not a sporty bike for a number of reasons including its weight and long wheelbase, but it's a stable, comfy bike to ride. I like mine.
Old 10-03-16, 08:15 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatnerd223 View Post
The cranks, wheels, handlebars (ATAX), pedals, fork, saddle, brake calipers, brake levers, and shifter system ALL have a "Made in France" imprint. .....
I would think that this alone would LOWER the value.....
Likes For AlexCyclistRoch:
Old 10-03-16, 08:53 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 140 Posts
I have come by a vintage peugeot UO-8 that does not look modified except for the tires. I plan on fixing it up to working condition. The question is after that, should i sell it and use the money to get a modern road bike or should i use it as a road bike for myself? What is it worth in a referbrished condition?
My wife did a tour of Normandy and Brittany on a touring version of the UO8 in 1978, and still has the bike, was actually using it with the original steel rims and Simplex components as recently as 10 years ago. Then she bought a modern Trek hybrid, later a Bianchi Milano, and the Peugeot was retired, or so we thought. Long story short, after a couple of fits and starts, we went all in on making the bike road ready as an every day rider, even if we don't actually ride it every day or even every week.

This is what we did. Replace the old drop bars and brake levers in favor of some Velo Orange Postino bars and Tektro brake levers, and some Ergon style grips. Replace old stem shifters with a inexpensive indexed thumb shifter. Old 2 x 5 speed replaced with a 9 speed Shimano Tiagra derailleur. Remove the big chainring so the bike is, effectively a 1 x 9. Replace the steel wheels with some alloy wheels with a freehub. Cassette is a 9 speed 11 - 32 tooth. New chain, and brake pads. As for tires, we went with some Vittoria Rubino 27 x 1 1/4". Added a Brooks B17 saddle, but that was a splurge. Truth is, my wife would have been fine with the Serfas saddle she had been using on one of her other bikes.

Things we removed include the old generator light.

Things we kept the same. Fenders, rack, bottom bracket, quill stem brakes, all in decent shape even after 35 years.

When it was all said and done, we spent more than the bike is worth, but maybe half what we would need to spend to get an entry level modern road bike at MSRP. Was it worth it? For us it was, though we also wound up buying my wife an entry level road bike. Which does she prefer riding? Hard to say. I will say this. She is not obviously faster on the modern bike.

Last edited by MRT2; 10-03-16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 09:32 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

The cranks, wheels, handlebars (ATAX), pedals, fork, saddle, brake calipers, brake levers, and shifter system ALL have a "Made in France" imprint. The frame still has it's original decorations.
The only thing that I have found that was replaced was the brake pads, tires, and at some time, the bike was serviced or sold at a bike shop in MT (the shops logo was still on the frame but in bad condition as well as being put on slightly side-ways).
At some point, the stem shifter system was taken off, serviced or maybe replaced, and the one put back on was overly tightened (and caused multiple minute indentions into the original ATAX stem.

This is just about all I have found as to the originality and history of the bike.
Again - pics please. Nobody is going to be able to provide a legitimate valuation of the bike without several pictures. Take some, upload to a site like www.imgur.com and provide the link in a reply.