Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Top advancements in the past 20 years?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 05:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts

I was driving along and I got to wondering: "What are the top 5 or 10 advancements in the last 20 years that have led to measurable improvements in track racing?" Such that, using the alternative would lead to measurably adverse results.

That sent me to thinking...maybe:

1) Computers and that measure speed, cadence, and power and chart the results over time using software.
2) Software and expertise to analyze such files.
3) Narrow Handlebars
4) Bike fitting
5) Aero wheels (especially the front wheel; Mavic Io or Zip 808)
6) Aero Helmets
7) Advancements in periodizatoin (not prioritization) and planning an annual training program.
8) A video camera in everyone's pocket so easy access to videos for recording and analysis by oneself or with a coach.

Would you folks agree/disagree? Any additions/subtractions?

Not on the list:
- Carbon fiber: I don't think it's significantly better than aluminum. With all things being equal, if you put a rider on frames made of aluminum and carbon, their times would not be significantly different.

Last edited by carleton; 12-27-16 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-27-16, 05:53 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
<snip>
Would you folks agree/disagree? Any additions/subtractions?

Not on the list:
- Carbon fiber: I don't think it's significantly better than aluminum. With all things being equal, if you put a rider on frames made of aluminum and carbon, their times would not be significantly different.
briefly, because of time and stuff...

For a frame with identical, generally normal dimensions, sure.

However, two points (cause being contentious is what internet forums are for, yes?)

1) carbon can be laid up narrower than aluminum tubes can be manipulated and maintain their stiffness, with a corresponding gain in the "narrow is aero" category that track frames and low yaw angles live in.
A "paper-thin" alloy frame could be made, but like the GT super bike of yore, the sections then need to be incredibly deep, and torsional strength is (typically) STILL compromised.
Walser/British Cycling/Felt, and some one-off folks have shown that making suuuuper narrow bikes result in real, tangible gains, and that's just not especially doable in aluminum.
(Jason behind Abbey Tools was just giving me his thoughts on narrow-BBs, and how his custom mountain bikes are custom bb width, and customized cranksets, and they are apparently way better for it)
NOW - we don't see those bikes on a day-to-day basis, but they certainly are faster.

2) see your point about wheels - they aren't possible without carbon. I think you were referring to carbon FRAMES for your "not on the list" point - but just checking.
AND of note, Shamals and other alloy wheels can be REAL darn fast, some of the fastest wheels I ever rode on the road were 12/12 Campag shamals - but getting there by reducing spokes goes poorly when getting on banked surfaces with its lateral loading.

My 0.02
Old 12-27-16, 05:55 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I was driving along
a second post to say -
great conversation topic, thank you.
Old 12-27-16, 07:44 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Graeme Obree. So innovative he had all his advances banned.

Edit: He falls just outside the 20 year cut off.
Old 12-27-16, 10:52 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general, better access to tech and science made us faster.

CFD
Wind tunnel made for cycling range of speed (aerodynamics behave differently at certain speeds)
Lower monetary barrier for wind tunnel access
Power meter and software to analyse that data
Lactate acid measurement and understanding
Threshold power
Bio mechanics for better fits
Kinesiology for better training program
Catching up with aerodynamics modern knowledge (boundary layer, low pressure zone, laminar flow etc)

All those tech and science advancements helped us train better, ride our bike better and have better equipment.
Old 12-27-16, 10:52 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
briefly, because of time and stuff...

For a frame with identical, generally normal dimensions, sure.

However, two points (cause being contentious is what internet forums are for, yes?)

1) carbon can be laid up narrower than aluminum tubes can be manipulated and maintain their stiffness, with a corresponding gain in the "narrow is aero" category that track frames and low yaw angles live in.
A "paper-thin" alloy frame could be made, but like the GT super bike of yore, the sections then need to be incredibly deep, and torsional strength is (typically) STILL compromised.
Walser/British Cycling/Felt, and some one-off folks have shown that making suuuuper narrow bikes result in real, tangible gains, and that's just not especially doable in aluminum.
(Jason behind Abbey Tools was just giving me his thoughts on narrow-BBs, and how his custom mountain bikes are custom bb width, and customized cranksets, and they are apparently way better for it)
NOW - we don't see those bikes on a day-to-day basis, but they certainly are faster.

2) see your point about wheels - they aren't possible without carbon. I think you were referring to carbon FRAMES for your "not on the list" point - but just checking.
AND of note, Shamals and other alloy wheels can be REAL darn fast, some of the fastest wheels I ever rode on the road were 12/12 Campag shamals - but getting there by reducing spokes goes poorly when getting on banked surfaces with its lateral loading.

My 0.02
Doh! Yeah, I meant to say carbon fiber frames and not just carbon fiber in general.

So, how much can a carbon fiber frame benefit a "regional level" guy compared to the other things listed? Let's say he got a hand-me-down Team GB frame that just so happened to be his size. What types of results might he see compared to say a Felt TK2?

Originally Posted by taras0000
Graeme Obree. So innovative he had all his advances banned.

Edit: He falls just outside the 20 year cut off.
Ha!, he still counts. It took years for people to start believing him

(I think) I saw his influence on Hoy and Pendleton and other Team GB riders when they rode top tubes that were longer than what you'd expect to see based on their dimensions which as a result, stretched their arms forward.
Old 12-27-16, 10:54 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Skin suits (faster times)

The UCI World Cup series (more competitors + more competition)

Low cost air travel (lowers cost of competing nationwide or internationally)

Wind tunnel testing
Old 12-27-16, 11:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Regarding:
7) Advancements in periodizatoin (not prioritization) and planning an annual training program.
I mean the idea of sprinters not training like roadies in the winter with thousands of "base miles" being absolutely required. I think we learned that other techniques worked just as well, if not better, depending on the athlete.

I've even heard of some national/international level sprinters not riding for more than an hour during winter training rides, which may have been unheard of in the 80s and 90s.

I think that:
2) Software and expertise to analyze such files.
has lead to the use of huge gears with success, even at the local level.

Before, there was conventional wisdom that you simply did not dispute. Now, people who think differently have numbers to back up their assertions.

For example, in the 1996 Olympics, I recall hearing that 94 gear inches was normal...in the biggest, fastest event of the decade.
Old 12-27-16, 11:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Duh. I think the #1 advancement is...

Internet Message Boards

I'm not sure how trackies shared information before Fixed Gear Fever, Facebook, and Bike Forums, but it couldn't have been as much of a gold mine of info. I'm sure there were pockets of gold at local tracks, but nothing like this.

I guess we can add "Remote Coaching via email and inexpensive phone calls" to the list, too.
Old 12-28-16, 08:46 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I think easier access to windtunnels has done a lot - we see more aerodynamics, more personalized aerodynamics, more informed choices in frames, components, clothing, helmets. And we have the ability to quantify tradeoffs.

One thing worth noting is that the wheels that were the best then (the iO was released in 1996, Comete before that) are still in use today and just received a minor update this past year.
Old 12-31-16, 10:18 AM
trenzafeeds

Bikes: 2004 LeMond Alpe d'Huez, ???? Shogun Samurai, 2015 Fuji Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By aero wheels do you mean like specifically trispoke stuff? Because disc wheels are definately pre-20 years ago.
Old 01-01-17, 04:00 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by trenzafeeds
By aero wheels do you mean like specifically trispoke stuff? Because disc wheels are definately pre-20 years ago.
I mean the front wheels. Discs don't help nearly as much.
Old 01-01-17, 01:37 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
AND of note, Shamals and other alloy wheels can be REAL darn fast, some of the fastest wheels I ever rode on the road were 12/12 Campag shamals
Indoors (0 degrees yaw) the 16 spoke Shamals with silver 41mm rim tested as fast as an 808...
Old 01-01-17, 03:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Indoors (0 degrees yaw) the 16 spoke Shamals with silver 41mm rim tested as fast as an 808...
As I've mentioned a million times here , I've always wanted a set:

Old 01-01-17, 05:02 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have a road set of 95 built 16 spoke Shamals I bought NOS which I used for triathlons and still have. Just can't sell my precious...

Saving them for the day I build / restore a road bike from that era.
Old 01-01-17, 06:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Nice! Let us know when you build it.
Old 01-02-17, 02:45 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my training buddies had a set of Shamals that I've been eyeing out for ages (since he's got a whole bundle of other race-wheels)
Didn't make my move quick enough and he swapped them for something else with one of the shadier characters at our track. Move quickly on the good stuff, people!