Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2019

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 11:22 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
My Eroica page does not indicate my purchases/registration. No story. Only profile. This is a little annoying.
Old 01-27-19, 01:02 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
My Eroica page does not indicate my purchases/registration. No story. Only profile. This is a little annoying.
Whew:

On a parallel note, my hotel confirmation doesn't have the name of my hotel, or the booking company. That could be a problem if there's a problem.

And I swear the "veteran" price wasn't available when I registered. $50 discount wasted.
Old 01-27-19, 04:13 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Got the tires glued on the rims today!

Old 01-27-19, 04:33 PM
Classtime 

What tires? I might just get one Gatorskin to make a new pair or get two new Vittoria Controls. The Coninentals are a little harsh but the sidewalls offer beaucoup confidence.
Old 01-27-19, 08:37 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
What tires? I might just get one Gatorskin to make a new pair or get two new Vittoria Controls. The Coninentals are a little harsh but the sidewalls offer beaucoup confidence.
I'm running Tufo Dry Plus 32 tubular CX tires

Last edited by jcb3; 01-27-19 at 08:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-27-19, 09:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Gravel King 28's. Mounted size is right around 30mm.
Old 02-05-19, 09:36 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
I finally got off the fence and registered. Looking forward to meeting all of the C&V folks there and at the B&B. signed up for the longest route, but that can change.
Old 02-05-19, 10:13 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 662 Posts
I am registered but unable to log into the "new portal" to add the dinner. Password reset does not work (email not found).

I suspect the user data got a haircut when they moved over to the new portal. I've sent off an email to get it resolved.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 02-05-19, 10:40 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Is everyone doing the dinner? I am planning on meeting NEW friends (of the C&V persuasion) after i arrive. I have had poor luck with these types of events vis-a-vie quality for value. it was unclear, but the post ride BBQ is included right?
Old 02-05-19, 11:20 AM
rccardr 

Definitely the dinner for me. Food is excellent, as is the company. Neat stuff auctioned off. Fun time!
Old 02-05-19, 01:16 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

My experience with the dinner was pretty good, if for no other reason than it's the pre-ride gathering and you'll see "everybody".

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 02-05-19, 04:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
My biggest issue with these big dinners is they're too big. I get to see 500 people for 30 seconds each. The pre-dinner party that happened at the Magic Bus was more memorable to me.

Old 02-05-19, 04:40 PM
Classtime 

Saturday dinner at the Palazzo(sp) might be a good idea. I can cook up a pretty good vegan batch of Pintos, Rice, Salsa Picante, Guacamole, etc. (Goes good with BBQ if that is your thing.)

And regarding the portal---your name needs to be the same as when you first registered --- Jeff vs. Jeffrey makes a big difference.
Old 02-05-19, 06:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Saturday dinner at the Palazzo(sp) might be a good idea. I can cook up a pretty good vegan batch of Pintos, Rice, Salsa Picante, Guacamole, etc. (Goes good with BBQ if that is your thing.)

And regarding the portal---your name needs to be the same as when you first registered --- Jeff vs. Jeffrey makes a big difference.
Now THAT's what I'm talking about. The Palazzo has a grill as well. I'd be willing to pay for, but forego the dinner (it's going to a good cause)

Let's talk!
Old 02-13-19, 03:27 PM
Classtime 

Bump

Well, I sold my Eroica ride (87 Circuit) to buy tires, and started putting my Medici back together again ,when I come across a CL add for something that lately has become a Grailish Bike for me. It has floppy cables and everything. I hope to grab it this weekend and put the Medici back on the hook. So there is that. AND I discovered this last weekend that 100 miles with 10,000 feet, if ridden today, will be painful. I only rode 88 with 7800 (I rode solo so it was slow.) and it hurt. I think we have 7 weeks left. Anybody have a Farmer's Almanac? Should we ready a fendered bike?
Old 02-13-19, 03:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Well, I sold my Eroica ride (87 Circuit) to buy tires, and started putting my Medici back together again ,when I come across a CL add for something that lately has become a Grailish Bike for me. It has floppy cables and everything. I hope to grab it this weekend and put the Medici back on the hook. So there is that. AND I discovered this last weekend that 100 miles with 10,000 feet, if ridden today, will be painful. I only rode 88 with 7800 (I rode solo so it was slow.) and it hurt. I think we have 7 weeks left. Anybody have a Farmer's Almanac? Should we ready a fendered bike?
Last year, with two weeks to go I found a pair of decent Bluemels that would work well with my Eroica bike, but it turned out I didn't need them. I'll be riding the same bike, so they're still ready.
Old 02-13-19, 04:13 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Eroica registration update in "New Portal" at www.myeroica.cc
Even if you registered before, you have to go to the NEW PORTAL at https://myeroica.cc and RE REGISTER. New account. Your existing login will not work.

Wes has nothing to do with it. this is the back end registration portal for the Eroica organization worldwide. Unfortunately they did not port the login info, probably because they could not export the (hashed) passwords.

Create a new account using the same FIRST name, LAST name and DATE OF BIRTH that you used before. Those are the matching criteria for your existing reservation. Remember this portal uses the European convention for dating - DD / MM / YYYY Date first then month.Make sure that those three things are exact match.

Then, log out and log in and look under "my eroica story" and you should see your registration / reservation sitting there.If not, email service@eroica.cc and they will help you.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 02-14-19, 11:16 AM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Link to the Routes. The 35 Mile run "North" out of Cambria is I believe the Sunday ride. Where they come up with 5 miles of gravel is a bit strange, as this is all North on PCH. Maybe the little run to the Lighthouse in and out.

https://www.eroicacalifornia.com/routes

Then they added another route that is "open to other bikes" vs Vintage only. This is Saturday also:

Want to experience the most challenging and spectacular gravel roads of the Central Coast of California? Join NOVA Eroica California! A group ride event with fun, timed segments open only to ROAD and GRAVEL bicycles. Starting separately from the Eroica classic event, NOVA Eroica take a step beyond vintage to celebrate the beauty of fatigue and the thrill of conquest also on modern bikes.
Old 02-14-19, 11:24 AM
Ninetimes

The swap meet should be very interesting this time around. They announced about 3 weeks ago, an Italian group is shipping a container full of vintage bikes to sell at the event. Could become a bit competitive in the pits.
Old 02-14-19, 03:11 PM
Ninetimes

Going North is the leisurely Sunday ride. First real stop if wanted [not official], would be the San Siemen Cove and/or the Hearst Castle parking lot. The Cove has a small road that takes you to the pier, and heads north into the dog leg, were there’s food and some wine tasting at Sebastians. It’s off the beaten path and pretty unique. The Hearst Castle parking lot has a vast panoramic view of the ocean and the cove below. Worth the while to make the climb up to there.
Old 02-14-19, 05:37 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Anybody have a Farmer's Almanac? Should we ready a fendered bike?
I remember back in 2016 the course was wet from light rain overnight.
I was riding without fenders on 32mm Dugast Pipastrello tubulars with plenty of brake clearance and had to stop several times on Kiler canyon just to clear out the thick and sticky clay based mud that had collected on the tires and brakes. It would have been much worse trying to clear that muck with fenders on.
I'm not riding it this year but if I was, it wouldn't be with fenders if it was raining. Besides, you'll look much more "heroic" crossing the finish line splattered in mud :-)
Old 02-15-19, 09:20 PM
Ninetimes

The prior Eroica events in Paso Robles were run during the drought here in California. We’ll that’s over big time. Cambria and the local coast, where the event will run this year, has been ponded relentlessly with rain storms since the first of the year, and were pushing close to 140% of normal right now. It’s about 7 weeks until the event and everyone could be in for a muddy surprise. Maybe packing mud boots, a folding shovel and some rope could be a good idea.
Old 02-15-19, 10:39 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Now THAT's what I'm talking about. The Palazzo has a grill as well. I'd be willing to pay for, but forego the dinner (it's going to a good cause)

Let's talk!
I agree with this sentiment. I did the dinner last time and ended up sitting next to folks who didn't want to talk. Although it was for a good cause, this was torture for me. This time I'll be in a junior palazzo with 8 people (but only 4 riders) and a BBQ on a deck overlooking the ocean. That's where we'll be. It's not too far from the Gugie Palazzo so perhaps we'll try to swing a visit there. The big pre-ride dinner is for a good cause and I'll probably contribute to the cause in some way, but based on last years experience I won't be attending.
Old 02-15-19, 10:42 PM
rccardr 

Yep, should be interesting. Just spent two weeks in Palm Springs- ya know, the desert?- and it was cool and damp the whole time. Rained almost four inches yesterday- you don't even want to see the damage done to some local roadways. And I remember Keiler in 2016...and in 2017 when it was so bad they routed us around due to knee deep mud.

On the other hand, that part of CA has pretty good drainage and there's like six weeks until Eroica, so hopefully it will dry out some twixt now and then.

As far as the Saturday night dinner goes...I'd be sorry to miss it. Davester, how did we not sit together last year?
Old 02-16-19, 10:50 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
I have finally sorted out my Eroica build for 2019. This bike has fought me since purchasing, but yesterday it came together. I still have to modify my toe clips, but that is an easy fix - but just one more way this build has frustrated me. Today Southern CA is getting a "short" break from rain, so I'll get it out on the road for a shake down. I'll get some pics up soon as I get a chance to take some.

I've been using my rollers once a week to augment my preparation for the ride. Yesterday my belt broke, so a new one is on the way. I have been using the GCN workouts on Youtube, and I highly recommend them. They range from 25-40 minutes and concentrate on riding tempo to interval climbing. Give them a look if you need to add miles and are short on time or limited by weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.