Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to SRAM PG-1130

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-26-20, 04:43 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts

I want to get a cassette to use on a second wheelset for a bike with a 1x setup that currently uses an 11-36t SRAM PG-1130. I understand that I could get another PG-1130, since the second wheelset also has a Shimano 11-sp hub body, but I am just curious what alternative cassettes would also work. I don't even understand SRAM's own hierarchy of cassettes -- are some of their cassettes that are designed for their 2x groupsets less ideal for 1x, or is the distinction just marketing?

Edit: I should add that the bike has a Rival 1 GS derailleur. It's not clear to me if SRAM's higher end cassettes will work with that either, or require matching RD. Also no clue about Shimano compatibility, so it'd be great if someone could educate me on that too.

Last edited by surak; 02-26-20 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 05:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So long as it's a typical 11-speed freehub, an 11-speed cassette is an 11-speed cassette. Use whatever make/model has the cogs you like. I've used SRAM, Shimano, and Microshift, and can't really tell the difference between any of them.
Old 02-26-20, 11:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
For their chains and cassettes, the first two numbers indicate the drivetrain speeds, and the last two indicate pricepoint. 10 is their lowest end, 30 is pretty low end, 50 or 70 is around the mid end, 90 is real fancy. For cassettes this pretty much exclusively effects weight and aesthetics, and they shift as well up and down the line and are cross compatible (the better chains, for example do last longer in 3rd party tests, though the price/performance ratio varies). There's not really a distinction between 1x and 2x cassettes--11-36 would be used on some 1x road/cx setups, and would otherwise be used on 2x MTB setups. All 11 speed cassettes have essentially the same spacing, but in some cases matching cassette and chain brands arguably ensures more consistent performance and is unsurprisingly what manufacturers (except of 3rd party chains) recommend.

Basically just get another 1130 cassette if you're not too fussed about weight. If you are, probably 1170 is what you want without breaking the bank.
Likes For cpach:
Old 02-27-20, 04:55 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If you compare SRAM Shimano sunrace cassettes of the same range, some have slightly different cog sizes in between that causes odd jumps in gear spacing.

Miche offers custom mix of cassettes up to 34t without spiders that you order from a dealer. I've only seen 1 website actively offering this. It is labeled as road so it needs the extra 1.85mm on 11 speed freehub compared to a MTB 11 speed cassette that can fit on 10 speed freehub.

Above 34t I haven't seen any cassettes that don't use spiders so that you're stuck with whatever last 3 cog sizes that the manufacturer wants you to use. I think they should space the big cogs further apart so that the smaller cogs have a closer range. Or is there a cassette that allows you to custom mount a spider?
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 02-28-20, 01:26 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Good to know that it 1x or 2x doesn't matter for cassettes. From some reading on how SRAM's 1x works, it seems that the choice of chain makes a difference though. The head-scratching thing is that the only road chain SRAM describes as having their X-SYNC 1x tech is the PC-1110, but their compatibility sheet also lists Rival, Force, and Red 22 chains for 1x11.

I'm leaning toward a 11-32t cassette since I don't need lower gears when commuting and there are more options. I do like a quiet drivetrain, so I wonder if splurging on Red 22 but pairing it with an Ultegra cassette would be hunky dory, or be louder than if I stuck to SRAM for both?
Old 02-28-20, 09:13 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I don't think your cassette choice will have any audible effect on chain noise, which comes from friction in the chain and the chain link plates rubbing on the sides of the cogs and chainring when the chain line is at an angle.

If everything is lubricated, most of the noise I hear is the sound of the tread on the road.

Some chain and cassette manufacturers may claim to have a special shape to shift better, but the cheapest model of cassettes and any chain should work fine as long as the speed designation matches, which affects the width and fit of the chain.
Old 02-29-20, 01:21 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
The very high end SRAM cassettes can actually be slightly louder because they are more resonant being machined from a single billet of steel.

While you can absolutely mix and match SRAM and Shimano 10 speed cassettes/chains, I generally match the chain and cassette brands when possible (regardless of the derailleurs/shifters). If for whatever reason you want, Red with an Ultegra cassette and chain would be (officially) an unsupported configuration but work just fine.