Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Swytch

Old 10-06-20, 10:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Not to argue, but crowdfunding isn't for me; I don't want to wait for an extended period for something the "vendor" isn't responsible to provide.. Also, all the systems that I've procured were complete kits and very intuitive to assemble (especially since the directions weren't helpful). However, agreed that if you purchase from some companies you need to be knowledgeable that the components are compatible.
Old 10-06-20, 01:04 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
No, it's not the same. I went to Leaf just to see and you have to pick your components separately from what I saw. That's often the case with those providers. A non-techy person is not going to want to pick out the individual parts and they aren't going to know if they will work together well either. With the already made kits like Swytch, it's simplified to a single choice or maybe 2 sizes max. Everything is included so you don't have to pick out bags, mounting, motor, controller, battery or anything. It's dumbed down for a reason - there is a market for that. There's also a market for folks like you, who are more knowledgeable. And it's all coming from China, anyway, As to crowdfunding, people usually get a substantial discount on pricing that way.
There is a reason I left companies like Luna Cycle, Grin Tech and EM3EV off my earlier list. Those companies sell different systems in parallel, and it is possible (though remote) that an inexperienced buyer could wind up with incompatible options. In practice though, the ordering of a motor kit should be straightforward. The products will 'plug and play' together very nicely. Swytch is an answer to a question that no one asked. I simply do not understand the existence of this thread. It isn't a review, it isn't even all that enticing. It reads like pure advertisement.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-06-20, 01:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Not to argue, but crowdfunding isn't for me; I don't want to wait for an extended period for something the "vendor" isn't responsible to provide.. Also, all the systems that I've procured were complete kits and very intuitive to assemble (especially since the directions weren't helpful). However, agreed that if you purchase from some companies you need to be knowledgeable that the components are compatible.
The reason folks crowdfund is one of 2, I think. One is to get something not yet on the market; not applicable here. The other is to get a pre-order discount. These can be sizable, often they are 40-50% off the retail price. For that discount, you endure possible delays and disruptions. It's worth it to some people and not to others. Definitely not great if you need an item immediately, lol. But, if you choose a developer with a good reputation that has already put out products, you can minimize risk of delay and failure to deliver. Bike Friday crowdfunded the pakiT. Delivered on time to everyone. Rubee has delivered 2 versions of their friction drive kit on time. But YMMV and many companies miss the mark or fail to deliver. Folks who ordered Helix are getting their bikes after a very looooong delay; maybe the price saving was worth it to them if they didn't need the bike sooner. But it's definitely not for people who want something right away. Now Swytch has already delivered on one project and the are upfront about the lead time, so it's a matter of personal need versus price. Are those other options under $500 complete?
Old 10-06-20, 01:10 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There is a reason I left companies like Luna Cycle, Grin Tech and EM3EV off my earlier list. Those companies sell different systems in parallel, and it is possible (though remote) that an inexperienced buyer could wind up with incompatible options. In practice though, the ordering of a motor kit should be straightforward. The products will 'plug and play' together very nicely. Swytch is an answer to a question that no one asked. I simply do not understand the existence of this thread. It isn't a review, it isn't even all that enticing. It reads like pure advertisement.
It's the OP's experience with purchasing a kit. It might not interest you, but you aren't everyone, lol. And, of course, I wonder why you are railing so much against it, if it doesn't interest you why are you making so much effort to dis it? Swytch is an answer to a question you aren't asking, but they've sold plenty of them so obviously you are not their market. Funny, I recall reading a thread where someone said "ebikes are answer to a question no one asked".
Old 10-06-20, 06:44 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Just want to clarify that it's not 14 months. I ordered in June and it ships next week and that was with the one month parts delay that is affecting everything with the pandemic. One thing I did read up on is they have a 14 day return policy and warranty the kit for a year. All positives for someone like myself trying out an e-kit for the 1st time.
Old 10-06-20, 06:55 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It isn't a review, it isn't even all that enticing. It reads like pure advertisement.
I disagree. I've posted on multiple forums here and stated from the beginning that my reason for the thread was the lack of information on this and other forums about this kit. A big part of buying this is placing an order and what to expect, good or bad (I've mentioned both).

If this helps another member to either purchase one or steer clear then mission accomplished. Personally I can't wait to detail the experience of installing and trying the kit. I was not in a rush so the preorder works for me.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 10-07-20, 09:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
The reason folks crowdfund is one of 2, I think. One is to get something not yet on the market; not applicable here. The other is to get a pre-order discount. These can be sizable, often they are 40-50% off the retail price. For that discount, you endure possible delays and disruptions. It's worth it to some people and not to others. Definitely not great if you need an item immediately, lol. But, if you choose a developer with a good reputation that has already put out products, you can minimize risk of delay and failure to deliver. Bike Friday crowdfunded the pakiT. Delivered on time to everyone. Rubee has delivered 2 versions of their friction drive kit on time. But YMMV and many companies miss the mark or fail to deliver. Folks who ordered Helix are getting their bikes after a very looooong delay; maybe the price saving was worth it to them if they didn't need the bike sooner. But it's definitely not for people who want something right away. Now Swytch has already delivered on one project and the are upfront about the lead time, so it's a matter of personal need versus price. Are those other options under $500 complete?
Agree with you. Seems as though some reputable companies use a crowd fund to gauge interest in a new product. Just for information, my first kit six years ago, a 350w, 36V front hub system (and now on my daughter's cruiser) was about $750 AIR, the second, a 1000w, 48V rear hub purchased about the same time and still being used for errands was about $600 for kit and battery, my third five plus years ago, a BBS02 system for off road and ridden twice a week was about $500 and uses the same 52V battery as the errand bike.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-22-20, 03:45 PM
kayakindude

Finally got an update. After a 4 day wait for a reply to my less than happy why haven't I heard anything email, I received the following-

Kits are on their way and that is the duty tax for both units. You definitely have to be patient to go this route and there have been multiple delays...not sure how much of that is on Swytch or the pandemic. The container should arrive 10-30.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 10-25-20, 10:00 PM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just got my Swytch kit for a Brompton. Actually, I had ordered 2 kits. It came last yesterday and I ended up getting it assembled and charged by 2 AM. I can say it was worth the wait. While not as nice as the electric Brommie, it is close enough for me that I am happy. Unfortunately mine was missing a few parts but nothing that really impacted me. I had ordered a thumb throttle to go with it and it was missing a little extended nub for the fold on the Brompton. The kit went together very easily. Good thing though I read the entire instruction manual as the quick start left out some key steps. I've ran it for about 20 miles so far and all in all it was worth the investment.

I normally would have wanted a bit larger motor than 250W. I rode the electric Brommie when it came out all over London and realized it worked pretty well on it. So when Swytch had their latest version, I jumped in. It works well on the Brompton. I have the lower geared 6 speed and while it isn't going to set the world on fire with speed, it seems like a very nicely integrated package and actually looks nice than the electric Brommie. I had debated about going with one of their kits for some other folders I have but the Brompton is the one I always seem to have with me. My only complaint so far is I wish there was a way to adjust the 5 PAS levels. Some of my other electric bikes I can finetune that by going into a hidden menu and tweak it there. On the Swytch, I'd like less assist in the lower levels and keep the top the same. It looks like the only option I have is to derate ALL the PAS levels rather than just a few.

For the Brompton there has been a lot of choices and not sure how much power the forks could handle anyway. If it holds up well, it will have been an awesome purchase. I did end up waiting 7 months from beginning to end though. Covid didn't help matters at all. Shipping and customs took a long time. To their credit there was a way to track it.
Likes For Wavshrdr:
Old 10-26-20, 05:25 PM
kayakindude

Really glad you are enjoying it. I'm looking forward to installing the kits and great advice to review the full guide. Anything in particular to watch out for?

It just took me 6 hours to install a storm door this weekend so hopefully this takes less time. It must provide some good pep on a brommie not expecting too much on the tandem, especially pulling the dog.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 12-15-20, 09:24 AM
kayakindude

Finally!

Can't wait to set everything up this weekend. Over a foot of snow coming Thursday so may be awhile before I get to test it out.

I know the pandemic slowed everything down but my advice would be to order this in the fall for a spring arrival.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 12-15-20, 04:36 PM
kayakindude

Unpacking-

With the cons being the delivery delay no doubt one pro is the care and design of the packaging. Everything down to the individual boxes are labeled and laid out logistically.

Each component was wrapped and separated from the other and nothing appears damaged. The system looks simple and straightforward. The rain covers for the battery and mount are a nice touch.

The wheel runs true and is solid. The wheel and battery weigh a few pounds each but I don't have access to the commercial scale at work to provide numbers.

Next up following the quick start guide is charging the battery pack. I have an extra tube and tire available (another 700 rim just had a trainer tire swapped on) so I can put a test ride together shortly.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 12-19-20, 10:14 AM
kayakindude

Ok hit a roadblock early on. Apparently the tandem has 9mm forks and the swytch is a 10mm axle. Any ideas on what I can do with the existing fork? Probably not a good idea to try and stretch it to fit?
Old 12-19-20, 10:31 AM
linberl

Is it a steel fork? You can stretch those pretty safely. BF had me do it with one of theirs once, it's called "cold something or other" that I can't remember. Pretty simple process of just adding spacers and letting it sit as I recall.
Old 12-19-20, 12:17 PM
kayakindude

It's a Cannondale Fatty fork, so aluminum. I managed to file it a bit and used a pry bar to gently open the gap a smidge. Of course the disk brake is on the wrong side of the motor hub, so have to research how to overcome that one.

Of course I find this after the fact-
https://swytchbike.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360007666198-The-motor-axle-doesn-t-fit-in-my-bikes-forks

It says file down the motor axle. Personally I'd rather lose a 13 year old fork than mess up the motor hub.

Last edited by kayakindude; 12-19-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 01:32 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Here’s how I addressed the terribly misaligned rear dropouts on my host bike:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-6-Am...Bag/1000193157

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ReciproT...-A10/204248234

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ReciproT...M-10/204248325

You’ll probably also want to install a couple Grin Tech TorqArm V2 on the fork, if it has fender eyelets. If not, go with the V3.

Last edited by andychrist; 12-19-20 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 02:46 PM
kayakindude

Thanks Andy. Got delayed a bit because the disc brake was secured with Torx screws (the type that I of course didn't have) so a 2nd trip to the hardware store was required. So that's 0 for 2 when it comes to cannondale.

Here is the mounted wheel with disc break. Note: Swytch used Allen hex screws (like normal folks). Note 2...there is a gasket that covers the disc side hub. I had to remove that when I added the disc because it pushed the disk out of alignment and was rubbing on the fork. Putting the gasket on the outside solved that (see photo).

Old 12-19-20, 02:50 PM
kayakindude

0 for 3 cannondale on the crank sensor installation. Way too thick to snap the sensor around.

Swytch to their credit has several alternatives to make it work so it looks like I will be using my wire cutters to carve the sensor up. I am thinking that I probably should have installed this on a single rider first.

If your bike has no clearance on the crankset then this is the correct magnet for your kit (it doesn't help that I'm putting the kit on a different bike from when I ordered)

Last edited by kayakindude; 12-20-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 04:13 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Well if it’s any consolation, my Bafang hub motor came with three different PAS sensors, of which none fit my bike’s FSA Vero’s splined press fit BB. Did however come with special M5 Allen button caps with hexes 1mm wider than normal so as to be able to apply the requisite torque. Otherwise, Torx are actually the preferred method of mounting disc rotors because their heads can take more torque than standard M5 with their tiny sockets.

Anyway PAS sensors simply make your bike street legal but otherwise don’t offer much advantage over throttle-only setups, which allow you to pedal along with the motor just as well.
Old 12-20-20, 09:55 AM
kayakindude

I went with a non-throttle kit so after some research and advice I used my jigsaw for the main cutting and a rotary tool to fine tune and clean the edges.
Before and after the jig-

cleaned up with the rotary

because this was for the tandem I opened it up and mounted it on the forward chainring

I

used zips for now because I'm not sure everything is in the right direction yet- I've read the magnet disk has to be in a specific direction.

The next "fun" part is coming up with a bracket mount to tie the sensor into the best spot to read the magnets. Not enough clearance behind the ring so I am thinking here...

Last edited by kayakindude; 12-20-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 02:15 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Is it a steel fork? You can stretch those pretty safely. BF had me do it with one of theirs once, it's called "cold something or other" that I can't remember. Pretty simple process of just adding spacers and letting it sit as I recall.
The process is called "cold setting" and it only works when the axle is too LONG (greater than 100mm) to fit between the fork arms. When the axle is too THICK to fit in the dropouts, as in this case, cold setting is of no use. I hope the o.p. is using "torque arms" because in filing out the dropouts he has compromised the integrity of the fork. Torque arms are mandatory already but in his case they may save him. Literally save him.

Edit: is it me or is this thread making people awfully glad they made the decision NOT to Swytch?
Edit: Essential reading for the o.p.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-20-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 02:32 PM
kayakindude

I've read in multiple forums that shaving 1mm is not going to hurt the fork. I will say that adding a torque arm has been recommended by several sources. I did not order one but am now reconsidering ordering one before the spring. Small 250 watt motors don't seem to require one.

I'm trying to write this thread as a 1st time user of electric, each hurdle I've hit is because of the bike, not Swytch. I want people to be aware that the fork should be 10mm (did not know that) and that a crank with no clearance requires modifications. Based on what I'm reading out there this impacts any conversion...not just Swytch.

I like what this user made...

plug and color coded wiring was easy to follow and my test run showed everything working and moving in the correct direction so whew!

Last edited by kayakindude; 12-20-20 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 04:41 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Can’t tell from your pics whether the fork has fender eyelets but if not, you’re welcome to my single spare Grin Tech TorqArm V3 that comes with hose clamps and shrink wrap covers, for the price of shipping only — PM me if interested. Yes a 250W motor generally doesn’t demand torque arms but not sure if that applies to aluminum alloy forks.
Old 12-20-20, 05:01 PM
kayakindude

Thanks for the offer Andy, the kit came with torque washers, not sure if that is the standard for 250 watts?
Old 12-20-20, 05:31 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

All front wheel kits come with those washers, they do not take the place of torque arms since they add no strength but do engage with lawyer lips nicely to help keep the axle from spinning. Again, might not be entirely necessary with a 250W motor but highly recommended with an alloy fork, especially as you had to file down the slots on yours to fit the 10mm squared-off axle. Grin Tech TorqArm V2 best option if your fork has fender eyelets because the installation is neater, if not you’re still welcome to my V3 (which I ordered by mistake and am never going to use myself, it’s just taking up space in my parts bin.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.