Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Code R or RSC pictured?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Code R or RSC pictured?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 09:54 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Code R or RSC pictured?

Can you tell by this photo if these are Code R or Code RSC brakes?

They're $300 which is a good deal for Code RSC but not Code R brakes
Old 01-31-21, 10:07 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Don't waste your money. Seriously, any Shimano hydraulic brake will be better. I have inexpensive Deore hydraulics on my MTB and they are better than any SRAM brake I've ever used, regardless of cost.
Old 01-31-21, 10:11 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by dsaul
Don't waste your money. Seriously, any Shimano hydraulic brake will be better. I have inexpensive Deore hydraulics on my MTB and they are better than any SRAM brake I've ever used, regardless of cost.
I have Level brakes on one of my bike and they're good, I would say my 2 piston Level brakes stop better than my bro-in-law's 4 piston Deore's, but that's just as anecdotal as what you're saying, he's also running 180/160 and I am running 203/180.... I am shopping for only SRAM brakes because I want to keep all my stuff DOT 5.1 so I don't have to have 2 different bleed kits to service them.

Do you encounter a lot of high speed or technical descents in the mountains of South New Jersey? LOL

Jokes aside, I do, sincerely, appreciate your feedback though! Were you able to tell which iteration these were?
Old 01-31-21, 02:27 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I have Level brakes on one of my bike and they're good, I would say my 2 piston Level brakes stop better than my bro-in-law's 4 piston Deore's, but that's just as anecdotal as what you're saying, he's also running 180/160 and I am running 203/180.... I am shopping for only SRAM brakes because I want to keep all my stuff DOT 5.1 so I don't have to have 2 different bleed kits to service them.

Do you encounter a lot of high speed or technical descents in the mountains of South New Jersey? LOL

Jokes aside, I do, sincerely, appreciate your feedback though! Were you able to tell which iteration these were?
You don't really need a bleed kit to bleed shimano brakes. A couple of syringes and a bit of tube is all you need.
Old 01-31-21, 03:23 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Amt0571
You don't really need a bleed kit to bleed shimano brakes. A couple of syringes and a bit of tube is all you need.
I have heard they’re super easy to bleed.

I wouldn’t rule out a set as long as they were iSpec II compatible, I suppose... another really long story
Old 01-31-21, 05:07 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts

Sorry, I can't help with identifying the brakes in the picture.

No mountains here in South Jersey, so I travel to PA, DE and MD to do most of my riding. There are quite a few high speed and technical descents in Northeastern PA.
Old 01-31-21, 07:31 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by dsaul
Sorry, I can't help with identifying the brakes in the picture.

No mountains here in South Jersey, so I travel to PA, DE and MD to do most of my riding. There are quite a few high speed and technical descents in Northeastern PA.
So??? You lack the technical acumen to answer the core question here, but you impart your unsolicited advice, gleaned from shredding the epic hills of NE PA?
Dude, I literally live in the shadow of mountains with elevations you couldn't drive to in 10 hours time, and within 7 blocks of hills with dozens of multiple double black diamond descents.

I appreciate free advice, I really do, but c'mon, man.
Old 01-31-21, 07:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Where are you going to put that second syringe?
Old 02-01-21, 01:52 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Where are you going to put that second syringe?
The shimano kit consists of a syringe and a funnel.

If you remove the plunger of the syringe, you can use it as a funnel on the lever.

When it's time to remove the syringe, you lightly put the plunger back, and you can remove it from the lever without fluid dripping all over the place.

You just need a syringe big enough and with a tip that fits tightly on the lever hole. It's easy to find one as most of them seem to have the prefect size anyway.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 02-01-21, 03:14 AM
Amt0571

I have heard they’re super easy to bleed.

I wouldn’t rule out a set as long as they were iSpec II compatible, I suppose... another really long story
Compared with SRAM? yes. Extremely easy. You just push fluid on the caliper and let it flow to the lever until air stops coming out.

I have SRAM brakes on my road bike and Shimano brakes on my mountain bike. Both perform really well, but Shimanos are by far easier to work with.
Likes For Amt0571: