Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace the rim and spokes, reuse the hub....bad idea?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 01:13 AM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

So I have this really nice Campy hub that is laced to a junk rim. I am very tempted to pull the hub and lace it to a new rim.

Then I got to wondering if this is a bad idea. Each spoke hole in the hub will already be disfigured to some extent, and perhaps this could pose a problem with the new spokes seating into the hub as I tension the wheel. Or maybe this is a non-issue?

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-21, 01:58 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I suppose it depends a lot on what you intend to use the hub for.

If you are thinking of popping it in a wheel to compete in a Tour de France then probably a bad idea. If you are like me and are maintaining old bikes in some state of originality then it might be a good idea. Where do you position yourself between these two points is my question.

I have numerous used rims, hubs and sets of spokes stashed away for different purposes, but I am much more likely to scrap a hub due to irretrievable cone issues or accident impacts than bedding in marks from the spokes.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 02-03-21, 03:06 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
hub.....

just examine the hub really good ....you can just look at it and tell if its worth rebuilding......if the holes are keyholed it might be to far gone....look at. the bering races to see if they are scored or scratched....if you dont trust your own judgment let someone else look at it but pay attention so you know what to look for next time.............some hubs can last for a hundred years some will be done in a couple of seasons and its the expensive high end stuff that wears out the soonest because its made so lightweight and thin and delicate......spokes will wear out before the hub.......alot of people change their spokes often when they are training every day.......rims and hub last way longer than spokes........rims crack around the spoke holes or you can see the spokes trying to pull out of the rims......it takes. many thousands of miles of hard riding to wear out a good hub
Old 02-03-21, 03:08 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
So I have this really nice Campy hub that is laced to a junk rim. I am very tempted to pull the hub and lace it to a new rim.

Then I got to wondering if this is a bad idea. Each spoke hole in the hub will already be disfigured to some extent, and perhaps this could pose a problem with the new spokes seating into the hub as I tension the wheel. Or maybe this is a non-issue?

Thoughts?
It's a fine idea, especially as you can't get Campy hubs any more (sob). Surely people who buy super-spendy hubs like Chris King must do this all the time? The lifetime of a quality hub should greatly exceed that of a rim unless perhaps it's a front rim on which you're using a disk brake.

You do want to match up the spoke pattern so that you're reusing the footprints of the old spokes not carving a whole new set.
Likes For guy153:
Old 02-03-21, 03:16 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Check the spoke holes in the hub for cracking, all good? Re-lace with new spokes with same bend butt diameter following the old lacing pattern.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 02-03-21, 03:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
As suggested above, reuse but replicate the original spoking pattern. Back when Campy offered a lifetime warranty for their components, rebuilding a hub with a different spoking pattern voided the warranty.
Old 02-03-21, 09:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
SOP for worn down brake tracks or a cracked rim. Get another rim with the same ERD, tape it to the wheel, and transfer the spokes over one at a time.

Just make sure the spokes aren't scored (chain came off?) or cracked.
Old 02-03-21, 09:46 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by pdlamb
SOP for worn down brake tracks or a cracked rim. Get another rim with the same ERD, tape it to the wheel, and transfer the spokes over one at a time.

Just make sure the spokes aren't scored (chain came off?) or cracked.
Agreed, except that it isn't even necessary to tape the rims together first. I used tape for the first few rim transfers I did decades ago and then never bothered with tape again. Just transfer the spokes in the hub flange closest to the new rim, and then transfer the rest.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-03-21, 10:58 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
just make sure you take the freewheel off before cutting rear spokes don't ask how I know

Old 02-09-21, 12:03 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
I've lost count of the times I've rebuilt wheels around old Campagnolo hubs. Also Zeus, Sanshin, and Normandy hubs that I overhauled with Campagnolo axles.
Old 02-09-21, 01:20 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've been using and re-using my Campagnolo hubs since the 1980's.
Likes For tcarl:
Old 02-09-21, 09:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have a Dura Ace rear hub with 74,000 miles and is on its third rim. The cones, races and freehub body are all original and still in excellent condition. It would have been foolish not to reuse this excellent hub.

There is absolutely no reason not to rebuild a good quality hub with a new rim and spokes. As noted, follow the original lacing pattern.

The only real excuse for not rebuilding is cost. If you can't do the build yourself, it is often less expensive to buy a complete new wheel than to pay retail for a new rim and spokes and the labor to build the wheel.

Last edited by HillRider; 02-09-21 at 09:16 PM.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-09-21, 09:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Surely people who buy super-spendy hubs like Chris King must do this all the time?

You do want to match up the spoke pattern so that you're reusing the footprints of the old spokes not carving a whole new set.
22 years old and on its fourth set of rims, not too expensive annualized when it still spins on the same bearings. With any hub, as you said, duplicate the pattern.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-09-21, 09:50 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
If I reuse a hub I put the new spokes in the same position as the old ones like said above, but I've seen many hubs where the builder didn't care about it and never had a problem.
Old 02-10-21, 04:45 AM
Trakhak

If you buy replacement rims that are identical to the original in effective rim diameter, you can reuse the spokes as well as the hub. If the wheels were originally built to the correct spoke nipple torque specification and have been maintained accordingly, the spokes should be capable of outlasting both the rim and the hub.
Old 02-10-21, 09:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Back before suppliers had wheel lacing machines (and long before wheels became their own component) we would spend all winter building up wheels for the up coming season's sales. We reused hubs all the time, al be it cleaned, greased and having passed our reuse standards. In fact when we would sell a wheel for a repair we offered a $5 savings if the customer left the old wheel with up. Think of it as a core charge for that good auto radiator you got from the service garage.
Building 20+ wheels a week for a few months got you pretty comfy with wheel work Andy
Old 02-10-21, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If the hub looks good, go through it clean it polish as needed, regrease, adjust cones...all that fun stuff and go ahead and re-use it. If it doesn't look so good maybe parts bin it and you might take parts as needed.

If the hub is gone and you need new freewheel hubs of quality, Phil Wood is my purveyor but if price is a concern Velo Orange does some decent stuff. If the same but you have a cassette, Crampandgoslo still makes the Record hubs in 32 hole black for rim brakes (and is generally available for sale through your LBS from QBP though out of stock at the moment) or you can go with my other favorite hubalier, White Industries who still do a Campy freehub. (CK does not do Campy anymore). If you are looking for a budget campy cassette hub probably Miche would be the go to? Maybe Formula or Novatec makes something as well but not sure.
Old 02-11-21, 12:47 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
we would spend all winter building up wheels for the up coming season's sales. We reused hubs all the time, al be it cleaned, greased and having passed our reuse standards. In fact when we would sell a wheel for a repair we offered a $5 savings if the customer left the old wheel with up.
I still do!
Old 02-11-21, 09:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
As many above have said, I reuse and have a pair of DT 240 hubs that are about 20 years old and have been rebuilt al least twice each.
Old 02-11-21, 12:08 PM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
As many above have said, I reuse and have a pair of DT 240 hubs that are about 20 years old and have been rebuilt al least twice each.
Do they have cartridge bearings and can these be replaced? It might last 20y anyway of course but if you can replace the complete bearing no reason why it shouldn't last forever.
Old 02-11-21, 12:18 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Do they have cartridge bearings and can these be replaced? It might last 20y anyway of course but if you can replace the complete bearing no reason why it shouldn't last forever.
I obfuscated (not purposely); the hubs, which have cartridge bearings AFAIK, have never been touched. What I meant to say was they were rebuilt with new spokes, rims and nipples at least a couple of times (maybe more, can't remember) in the past 20 years using the same spoke pattern. This was needed because the rims were trashed by brake wear.
Old 02-12-21, 06:09 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
just make sure you take the freewheel off before cutting rear spokes don't ask how I know

haha, made me laugh at a time I really needed a laugh. good question, OP, I would say it would be a shame to scrap a Campy hub! cheers
Old 02-13-21, 07:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The real trick has more to do with the rim. The rim accounts for most of the difference in spoke length requirements. Most of the problems that inexperienced wheelbuilders experience have to with trying to lace a wheel using spokes that are eigher too long or too short..