Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Canadian Border

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Canadian Border

Old 03-12-21, 12:36 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have read several articles on the latest attempts to make a digital version of the yellow card for Covid. But I was trying to avoid getting into too much detail, and we are months away from knowing which of the digital efforts will win out in the end. Or how it will work.

I suspect that the digital system will have to obtain information from government databases directly to avoid any chance of user falsified data. But that is only a guess on my part.

This article is non-paywall, I think everyone can read this.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/digi...el-abroad.html
A vaccine passport seems unlikely, to me anyway, until the FDA approves the vaccines and all safety data and side effects are known and that could take a year or two. But I can see temperature checks and rapid tests being kind,of standard for a while, especially for international travel.
Old 03-15-21, 08:06 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
CBC News on US-Canada Border Plans

The article basically states there is no plan, but border state US politicians and the auto sector are pushing for it. US Rep. Brian Higgins (NY D-Buffalo & Niagara Falls) would like to see it open by July 4th (under certain health-related restrictions - "you've been vaccinated, certify that you're going to wear a mask, certify that you're going to practice good physical distancing."

The problem I see with his restrictions is that they involve active participation of people. Maybe I've just gotten too negative about people, but I think people will "certify" anything as long as they'll get to do what they want. And as others have pointed out, proof of vaccination will need to have some sort of government issued documentation. The COIVD vaccine card I have in my wallet is way too easy to fake. I'd guess the bureaucracy for a certification program will take a while to form up on both sides of the border.
Old 03-15-21, 12:40 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
CBC News on US-Canada Border Plans

The article basically states there is no plan, but border state US politicians and the auto sector are pushing for it. US Rep. Brian Higgins (NY D-Buffalo & Niagara Falls) would like to see it open by July 4th (under certain health-related restrictions - "you've been vaccinated, certify that you're going to wear a mask, certify that you're going to practice good physical distancing."

The problem I see with his restrictions is that they involve active participation of people. Maybe I've just gotten too negative about people, but I think people will "certify" anything as long as they'll get to do what they want. And as others have pointed out, proof of vaccination will need to have some sort of government issued documentation. The COIVD vaccine card I have in my wallet is way too easy to fake. I'd guess the bureaucracy for a certification program will take a while to form up on both sides of the border.
Thanks for posting that article.

I got my first shot last week and and I don't have any proof except for the form that tells you to drink lots of water and phone 911 in case of emergency.
As far as this side of the border goes, I expect it would take them about ten years to get a certification program going. There all kinds of privacy concerns, and the kinds of decisions to which bureaucrats are adverse.
We will see what happens.
Old 03-15-21, 03:01 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Originally Posted by skookum
I got my first shot last week and and I don't have any proof except for the form that tells you to drink lots of water and phone 911 in case of emergency.
As far as this side of the border goes, I expect it would take them about ten years to get a certification program going. There all kinds of privacy concerns, and the kinds of decisions to which bureaucrats are adverse.
We will see what happens.
Your comment made m laugh and my first thought about "ten years" was "that sounds about right." While not exactly on point, I heard the clip of PM Trudeau talking about his concerns about using a vaccine passport for going to domestic events and the like and the issues he mentioned echoed your thoughts. He's definitely more open to it for international travel.

Trudeau on Vaccine Passports (57 seconds long)

I'm in Pennsylvania and recently got my vaccine. I was given a small card issued by the CDC listing my name, the date the vaccine was administered, the brand and lot number, and the location. I've been told that eventually it will be recorded on my electronic medical record, but it's not there yet.
Old 03-15-21, 08:21 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Canadians were pretty freaked out in 2020 by how many COVID deaths occurred in the USA, and I think that has strongly biased their views on whether or not to open the border to Americans. A small number of American residents were highlighted in the Canadian media when they flouted the COVID rules in Canada, which did not help, as biased as those reports were. Thus, the Canadian politicians must view opening the border as political suicide until both countries have achieved at least 70% vaccination rates.

Unfortunately, though, the European Union and the USA have been limiting vaccine exports to other countries, including Canada, which means that the general population in Canada won't be fully vaccinated (i.e., two shots for Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca vaccines) until probably fall 2021. Only the first shot will be completed in June. Until then, I can't imagine the borders will reopen before then, which hurts both our countries. Stay strong and be safe everyone.
Old 03-15-21, 09:24 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by Altair 4
Your comment made m laugh and my first thought about "ten years" was "that sounds about right." While not exactly on point, I heard the clip of PM Trudeau talking about his concerns about using a vaccine passport for going to domestic events and the like and the issues he mentioned echoed your thoughts. He's definitely more open to it for international travel.

Trudeau on Vaccine Passports (57 seconds long)

I'm in Pennsylvania and recently got my vaccine. I was given a small card issued by the CDC listing my name, the date the vaccine was administered, the brand and lot number, and the location. I've been told that eventually it will be recorded on my electronic medical record, but it's not there yet.
If you saw how slowly thiings like digital health records have been adopted here, you would think 10 years is optimistic.
I did read something tonight about how the EU is likely to move fairly quickly on vaccine passports, and once some party adopts a standard, others will fall in to line. It is one thing to make the decision, another to implement it, especially in a technophobic bureaucracy.
I am not optimistic but I do hope the border opens before the end of the next decade.
Likes For skookum:
Old 03-16-21, 03:51 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Vermont's Governor, Phil Scott, said today, that it is unknown. He is aiming for completion of vaccine program by July 4th. Whether that will trigger a border opening is a coin flip at this point.
Old 03-17-21, 06:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I mentioned above in post 18 that some organizations are working on a digital covid vaccination passport. And in post number 20 above I listed a non-paywall link to an article on digital passports. (That link is at:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/digi...el-abroad.html )

Today I see that the US government is discussing their role in such a passport, no decisions yet but the topic is being looked at. A good article on some of the issues here, non-paywall:
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...tration-476384

I am not taking any position on this or trying to start a debate, I am only passing on information from some news sources on this topic.

I was tempted to start a new thread on this, but I think it is too early for that, as there are lots of things being discussed but no real information yet on what travelers will need to know. Once some information comes out that travelers should know, I think a new thread on this topic would be warranted.
Old 03-18-21, 01:30 PM
Altair 4

US to share vaccine with Canada and Mexico
Old 03-23-21, 09:00 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Today, March 23, I am thinking we are a long way from seeing the border open, maybe September if we are lucky. Starting to see a third wave spread by variants and the vaccination program is still churning along, better than before but still not on a pace to get everyone vaccinated by summer. And no plan from the government on what kind of criteria they are looking for in terms of infections, vaccinations,,etc. to open the border.

On a slightly different note, article in the Globe and Mail about internal vaccine passports in Israel. Basically a code on your phone that you get after your second vax that lets you into bars and restaurants, etc.
Israel’s rapid vaccination campaign kicked off in December and more than 5.1 million of its 9.3 million residents have already received at least one dose.

The Green Pass system, launched last month, is encouraging everyone to accept the shot. Green Pass holders, who have been fully vaccinated or recovered from the virus, can enter gyms, hotels, pools and other indoor facilities. The certificate, which can be downloaded through a phone app, has a barcode that can be scanned at entrances and is valid for six months, starting one week after the second dose of the vaccine.
Old 07-16-21, 09:01 AM
Altair 4

Latest news on this topic:

Fully vaccinated Americans could be allowed into Canada by mid-August, Trudeau says
Old 07-16-21, 09:23 AM
ober27

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My wife and I have a trip planned that would have us crossing the border early August, fortunately we have a backup plan. I'm glad to see Canada's vaccination numbers going up so quickly.
Old 07-16-21, 04:06 PM
Pratt

He could have said that three months ago. Fully vaccinated Americans have not gotten magically less infectious in the intervening time. I've now made alternate plans and I'm reluctant to change everything.
Old 07-16-21, 07:55 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

It is totally politics.
Now everybody is nervous about the Delta driven wave, which is gathering momentum in the US, but hasn't really hit here yet.
Save your plans for 2022.
(on the good side, I am fully vaccinated now and would love to go somewhere...)
Old 07-18-21, 04:31 PM
Altair 4

It is totally politics.
Now everybody is nervous about the Delta driven wave, which is gathering momentum in the US, but hasn't really hit here yet.
Save your plans for 2022.
(on the good side, I am fully vaccinated now and would love to go somewhere...)
I think this is going to be my plan.
Old 07-19-21, 12:17 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Hot off the presses!
Ottawa now says that — starting Aug. 9 at 12:01 a.m. ET. — fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents living in that country will be able to visit Canada without having to quarantine for two weeks.
The government said it plans to allow fully vaccinated travellers from all other countries to enter Canada on Sept. 7.

A government official speaking on background to journalists today said that, as of Aug. 9, children under 12 — who aren't yet approved to receive a vaccine — will be exempt from the quarantine requirement after entering Canada and can move around with their parents if they follow public health measures.

The official said those children should avoid group settings such as school, camps and daycares — especially indoor ones.

How that restriction applies to tourist destinations remains unclear.
Adults entering will need to present proof (in either English or French) that they've received a complete round of one of the vaccines approved for use in Canada. That means two doses of either the Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca products, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, at least 14 days before arriving.

All travellers must use the government's ArriveCAN portal to submit their information. If they meet the government's criteria, they will not have to quarantine upon arrival in Canada.

Travellers will still need to get a COVID-19 molecular test result before they arrive in Canada.

However, the government announced today that it plans to launch a new surveillance program at airports and land border crossings starting Aug. 9. Fully vaccinated travellers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a COVID-19 molecular test.
So there it is. US citizens will need proof of vaccination and have to submit by the ArriveCAN app. No idea how that is supposed to work. You will also need a negative test within 72 hours.

No word yet if i am going to be allowed into Montana. Thinking my trip will be in 2022. Inshallah

CBC
Old 07-19-21, 12:38 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

So, I just went to the ArriveCAN web page and of course they haven't updated it, despite the official announcement, it still says a US citizen travelling for optional reasons would not be allowed.
I would be waiting til next year anyway.
Old 07-19-21, 12:57 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
latest is that canadians should be all vacinated by end of june, that schedule just moved earlier from july. so thats encouraging.
Past the middle of July that has yet to happen.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/track...nada-1.5870573
Old 07-19-21, 02:53 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Past the middle of July that has yet to happen.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/track...nada-1.5870573
What does fully vaccinated mean anyway?
I think we've hit the wall on first doses, give a few weeks to get second doses done and then? A third of the country un vaccinated and don't want to be vaccinated.
Old 07-19-21, 03:03 PM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

Canada will finally open its borders, first to Americans, beginning August 9 story on CNN. com

Likes For mbusky:
Old 07-19-21, 05:09 PM
Pratt

Where dose one get a test, and documentation, that the Canadians will accept?
Old 07-19-21, 05:42 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by Pratt
Where dose one get a test, and documentation, that the Canadians will accept?
You could try looking it up...
To be considered fully vaccinated, you must:
  • be eligible to enter Canada
  • have received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccines
  • have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada
    • Example: if your last dose was anytime on Thursday July 1st, then Thursday July 15th would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
  • upload your proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

Accepted vaccines:
  • Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
Vaccines not currently accepted for fully vaccinated status in Canada:
  • Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)
  • Cansino (Convidecia, Ad5-nCoV)
  • Gamalaya (Sputnik V, Gam-Covid-Vac)
  • Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm-Wuhan)
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)
  • Vector Institute (EpiVacCorona)
  • Other
  • The list of accepted vaccines may expand in the future.

If you received your vaccines outside Canada, it’s still accepted but proof of vaccination must be uploaded digitally in ArriveCAN and must only be in French or English, or certified translation into French or English.

Entry requirements for the fully vaccinated exemption

Fully vaccinated travellers must follow the entry requirements:
  • Pre-entry test required
  • Quarantine plan in case you don’t get the exemption
  • Arrival test
  • Requirements checklist
  • Travelling with children or dependents who are not fully vaccinated
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Last edited by skookum; 07-19-21 at 05:47 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-19-21, 05:51 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

For some reason I couldn't add more stuff by edit in the previous post so..

Proof of vaccination

You must use ArriveCAN to enter your proof of vaccination, quarantine and travel information.

If you don't provide the required information in ArriveCAN before arriving at the border you won't be considered for the exemption, even if you meet all the other requirements.
Until July 23: if you get the exemption, you may receive notifications from ArriveCAN after you arrive in Canada but you aren’t required to respond.

Providing proof of your vaccination

In ArriveCAN, you must provide:
  • the details of your first dose (date, country and vaccine you received)
  • the details of your second dose if one was required (i.e., for Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca vaccines)
  • a photo or PDF file of the record of each dose of your vaccination, such as receipts, cards, or confirmations:
    • if you received two doses and they are both recorded on a single card or PDF, upload that same image or file for dose 1 and again for dose 2
    • file formats accepted: PDF, PNG, JPEG or JPG
    • maximum file size for upload: each image upload has a 2 MB size limit
  • preferred file format: if you received a PDF file of your vaccination record, upload the PDF rather than an image, since the PDF is clearer and easier to read
  • these must be in English, French, or a certified translation into English or French
  • Bring your original proof of vaccination with you while you travel.
    Providing a certified translation if your proof is not in French or English
Old 07-20-21, 07:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
For some reason I couldn't add more stuff by edit in the previous post so..
Thanks for posting the list, which did not get listed above so I repeated it below in italics:
In ArriveCAN, you must provide:
the details of your first dose (date, country and vaccine you received)
the details of your second dose if one was required (i.e., for Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca vaccines)
a photo or PDF file of the record of each dose of your vaccination, such as receipts, cards, or confirmations:
if you received two doses and they are both recorded on a single card or PDF, upload that same image or file for dose 1 and again for dose 2
file formats accepted: PDF, PNG, JPEG or JPG
maximum file size for upload: each image upload has a 2 MB size limit
preferred file format: if you received a PDF file of your vaccination record, upload the PDF rather than an image, since the PDF is clearer and easier to read
these must be in English, French, or a certified translation into English or French
Bring your original proof of vaccination with you while you travel.
Providing a certified translation if your proof is not in French or English
That is pretty clear and unambiguous. Some of the requirements that I looked at in other countries looked much more complicated, and left a sense of uncertainty.
Old 07-20-21, 07:14 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Here is the link to the web page, which somehow didn't get posted. ( I must have been drunk or something)

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html

It still doesn't appear to be updated to reflect yesterday's announcement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.