Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advantages of upgrading from 1980's bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advantages of upgrading from 1980's bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 03:47 PM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Bikes: 2020 Cinelli. 1983 Miyata cycle 750 sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1985 Schwinn Traveler

Im working on the same bicycle. Head badge has 1615 Julian date. Receipt says it wasn't sold until 5/86. I prefer older low end roadbikes such as this to urban ride. I change out the bars and brake levers to mtb. Mtbs are just too heavy imo. And being low end it's easier to modify in this fashion. I wouldn't want to modify something nice like a Paramount. Pedals weigh a ton. I'll be replacing those soon. Haven't ridden it yet. It was stored indoors and only ridden once or twice
Old 03-16-21, 05:03 PM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Weight

Nine pounds is a lot. Yours has all the same equipment mine does. I take anything off that isn't needed. All reflectors and brackets. Kickstand of course. Pedals are real heavy steel rat trap. Other than that, I don't know. Unless you get lighter wheels. Or you could beat around town on a mtb for a week, then ride the traveler. 😄.lol. Not to offend the mtb people.
Old 03-16-21, 05:08 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by bnot
I have a Schwinn Traveler made in 1986. It has a butted 4130 chromoly frame. Over the years, I've updated it with a new seat, control cables, some handlebars from Velo Orange, and Schwalbe Marathon tires (27 1/4). Otherwise it's stock. It has Weimann alloy rims made in Belgium, Sun Tour derailleur, Sakae crankset, and Dia Compe brakes. 12-speed (2x6 with shifters on the down-tube). Total weight with the seat, bottle cage and everything is 29 pounds. What am I missing? If I get a new bike, will it be a lot better? If so, what would make it better?
keep it as a rain/wet bike then get another more modern one as well
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-16-21, 05:12 PM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
80s

Theres a good call. Keep it as a secondary bike.
Old 03-16-21, 05:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by chancelucky
I find that talking 80's steel bikes is sort of similar to talking vinyl and vacuum tubes with audio folk. Whatever the bike riding equivalent of "euphonic" happens to be
gets applied to the mysteries of 35 year old steel, so it puts the discussion outside debates over conventional objective measures.

I do know that there are people who ride a variety of bikes who swear by old steel frames just as there are people who believe that 300B Western Electric tubes, vinyl records, and Bozak speakers were
the apogee of audio achievement. I don't think it's some sort of delusion. There is something different, but it's hard to say what's different in universally understandable terms and it's even
harder to say if that difference matters that much to everyone.

Bottom line, there are lots of reasons to just go with a new bike in the $1000 range and up. I think there are also some things that will get lost in the transition. It's a bit like the way modern high performance
sports cars will outperform a late 60's Porsche 911. There's still something about the old Porsche that's satisfying, unique, and difficult to replace.
I'm the guy that mucks things all up by having a bluetooth adapter plugged into the AUX input of my 80's stereo rig,
Old 03-16-21, 05:28 PM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, me too. Got two bt receivers.
Likes For Kjas64:
Old 03-17-21, 11:16 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
9 pounds lighter is 5% faster acceleration and 5% easier up steep hills. Some say you spend less energy controlling it, but personally I don't see that. Just 5% easier where total mass is a factor.
TBH, if I were the OP, wondering what a new bike might bring me, after reading such comments about energy and acceleration, I'd just stay with my old bike.

I am not saying they are not true, its just that they are not inspiring. New bike, provided it is some significant upgrade, will seem to want to go almost by itself, it will be a pleasure to ride and you will ride faster not just because it will be lighter and more rigid where it matters etc., but because such improvements will inspire you to squeeze out of yourself what you wouldn't on the old tired iron horse more suited to pull a wagon than being fast. And its not just those improvements but the looks of the bike and how it is mechanically well tuned up for performance which also are inspiring.

My advice to the OP is to stick with his old bike and never look forward.
Old 03-17-21, 09:08 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Kjas64
Im working on the same bicycle. Head badge has 1615 Julian date. Receipt says it wasn't sold until 5/86. I prefer older low end roadbikes such as this to urban ride. I change out the bars and brake levers to mtb. Mtbs are just too heavy imo. And being low end it's easier to modify in this fashion. I wouldn't want to modify something nice like a Paramount. Pedals weigh a ton. I'll be replacing those soon. Haven't ridden it yet. It was stored indoors and only ridden once or twice
I think an older road bike for around town would be really cool.
I’m not very experienced- when I read “urban ride” I think about riding a MTB as a glorified BMX bike for grown ups(ish). Bunny hopping in and out of the street/sidewalk, things like that.

Do people do that stuff on road frames? Or do you mean more similar to a commuter bike or messenger bike?
Thank you.
Old 03-17-21, 09:13 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm the guy that mucks things all up by having a bluetooth adapter plugged into the AUX input of my 80's stereo rig,
Tangent alert.
I’m not necessarily an audiofile, but a few years ago I learned how wonderful a powered sub with the high line ins and outs are.
Especially with cheapish bookshelf speakers. Really cleans things up by relieving the little drivers from having to do the heavy work.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 03-17-21, 09:45 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Back in the day

I had a Schwinn Continental , must have weighed 30 pounds . A buddy of mine had an Atala Italian bike and was into cycling. I finally bought a new , 1984 Rossin with all campy super record and campy c-record hubs. The wheels, frame, pedals , seat make a big difference. I realized I never road a real bike before I rode the Rossin . The Rossin was nimble , fast, comfortable ,could ride all day. The Schwinn continental was a make believe bike would bend and ride horrible , weighed a ton.. That being said i have an off the radar, Schwinn Passage touring bike , made in the USA , Columbus Tenax tubes and that's an amazing touring bike ...
Moral of the story, you will find a BIG difference depending on the bike you choose , and money isn't everything . You could score a minty Road racing bike for cheap , for uunder a grand . You just have to look and check condition closely . I paid $200 for that minty almost unused 1980s Schwinn Passage touring bike..

Last edited by rossiny; 03-17-21 at 09:54 PM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 03-17-21, 10:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Get yourself a set of 25 pound weights and a set of 15 pound weights. Do curls with each until you can go no further. Which were you able to curl longer?

Whether you know it or not that is a similar thing to what you experience when constantly riding in rolling terrain or when climbing the side of a mountain.

If you are on level ground or going down hill all the time, weight is not such a big deal. Though if you have a 30 pound bike, I'll probably beat you in a short sprint. And I'm not that great a cyclist. Just a legend in my own mind sadly.
No. The work he has to do to go uphill is him plus the bike. Let's say he weighs 180. 180 + 30 = 210 lbs. 180 + 15 = 195 lbs. So, for your curl analogy, say he is an animal. He can do 10 with 210 lbs. Dropping to 195, he can do what? 11?

Now, on limited funds, there is a lot you can do with that Schwinn that will feel very different and make it far more fun to ride. Lighter wheels. I don't know what Weinmanns you have but I don't think I have ever seen a light pair. 32 spoke wheels, Open Pro rims and nice tires will be a big step up. (Stick with steel spokes. If you are going to hand built wheels, seriously consider lighter butted spokes if the wheelbuilder thinks they are appropriate for your weight and riding.)

Pedals - there are decently light pedals if you are willing to go to clipless. The cheap avenue is the Wellgo/Nashbar/Performance pedals made to the LOOK Delta standard but there are many other options. If you are not already doing it, clipless is an easy way to up the performance of the bike.

If you have a bike coop nearby, go and bring your bike. Look at the display cases for used equipment and talk to an employee about what will make a real difference.

I took a 1990 sport Peugeot frame that I picked up for cheap, bought $100 of parts (French bike; a lot of my stuff wouldn't fit), put on the wheels I described (only fix gear), parts I had on hand and rolled out on a 20 lb bike that felt like the bike I raced many years before. A true blast to ride! (Brakes were a mishmash of calipers I paid $5 and $10 for and new Tektro levers for $35. Complete garbage to look at and real stoppers.)

The posters above will laugh at you but you get to keep riding a bike you like, put real fun in it and spend what, $500? (and you don't have to do it all at once). The other option is to drop thousands just to wheel the bike out of the shop. (If you decide to upgrade wheels - if you are sticking with your current gearing standard, ie number of cogs or you can upgrade your current hub, seriously consider getting new (used?) wheels instead up rebuilding your current. Why? You get a second pair. Really useful! Your current wheels can become city wheels, rain wheels, gravel wheels and just wheels to have when you grab the bike for that quick ride you gotta do and you have a flat.)

And in the long, long run - you decide to get that whiz bang bike. Don't toss or sell this one! Like those second wheels, this is your second, city, rain, gravel bike that's sitting quietly (and working) when the good one needs attention.

Edit: I have had a rain/city/winter/commute fix gear forever. Every few years something bad happens and I have to get a new frame. I go to a local shop with used bikes and look for one with an early '80s steel frame. Done this 4 times now. That first one was a Japanese built sport Schwinn. I got it for near free as it had been hit by a car. I never knew what model it was. With light wheels it was a fun ride! (With fenders year 'round, lock, LowRider rack and panniers!)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-17-21 at 11:05 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-17-21, 11:18 PM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
By urban riding, I meant basically just beating around town. On the street one minute then on the sidewalk the next. No tricks. I do go over curbs carefully on occasion. Riding conditions aren't the greatest in Lansing. Constantly have to watch surface conditions. All the unnecessary stuff I remove to lose whatever weight is so I can mount the new b17 saddle. At 57 and 155 lbs I find the old roadbikes light enough for my needs.
Old 03-17-21, 11:24 PM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine also has the same weinmann wheels. Double butted spokes.
Old 03-18-21, 01:40 AM
Kjas64
Kjas65

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Tangent alert.
I’m not necessarily an audiofile, but a few years ago I learned how wonderful a powered sub with the high line ins and outs are.
Especially with cheapish bookshelf speakers. Really cleans things up by relieving the little drivers from having to do the heavy work.
yes, high side inputs make a sub more versatile. It's why I won't buy a klipsch
Old 03-18-21, 05:16 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
TBH, if I were the OP, wondering what a new bike might bring me, after reading such comments about energy and acceleration, I'd just stay with my old bike.

I am not saying they are not true, its just that they are not inspiring. New bike, provided it is some significant upgrade, will seem to want to go almost by itself, it will be a pleasure to ride and you will ride faster not just because it will be lighter and more rigid where it matters etc., but because such improvements will inspire you to squeeze out of yourself what you wouldn't on the old tired iron horse more suited to pull a wagon than being fast. And its not just those improvements but the looks of the bike and how it is mechanically well tuned up for performance which also are inspiring.

My advice to the OP is to stick with his old bike and never look forward.
I personally don't believe any of that, for more than 10 or 15 minutes anyway. Only the actual physical characteristics have any lasting effect. But that's me, YMMV.
Old 03-18-21, 06:41 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by bnot
I have a Schwinn Traveler made in 1986. It has a butted 4130 chromoly frame. Over the years, I've updated it with a new seat, control cables, some handlebars from Velo Orange, and Schwalbe Marathon tires (27 1/4). Otherwise it's stock. It has Weimann alloy rims made in Belgium, Sun Tour derailleur, Sakae crankset, and Dia Compe brakes. 12-speed (2x6 with shifters on the down-tube). Total weight with the seat, bottle cage and everything is 29 pounds. What am I missing? If I get a new bike, will it be a lot better? If so, what would make it better?

you need to test ride a new bike and decide for yourself
Old 03-19-21, 05:12 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
And newer bikes don't necessity ride better than older bikes, especially older steel bikes. Over the years I have had a lot of bikes, the one with the best overall comfort and performance was my Trek 660, which was an 80's 12 speed with a 531 frame. It was fitted with Campy Nuovo Record components and friction shifters. This bike was magic, and I have never been able to get as good a pedal stroke on any other bike as I could on this old Trek, and I would happily trade any of my newer (and much more expensive bikes) to get it back.
Over the last few years, I've gone on a binge picking up and restoring 80s & 90s bikes (look that-away. <-----) being sold cheaply on CL & FB looking for "different experiences" and that perfect ride. I would agree with the sentiment most have expressed that newer tech does have it's advantages over the older stuff; weight, efficiency, safety, etc. I've gone down a mountain on an older C'dale with rim brakes which was a very, very apprehensive descent wondering if and praying that the brakes would be able to slow me down. Hitting 30 mph+ in seconds resulted in riding the brakes most of the way down. But that ride was the exception to my normal riding. I do believe that you find the "gear" that matches you, your fitness, style of riding and the terrain that you ride. Go borrow a friend's bike to try. It's a cheaper route than I took (but I have had fun on the path that I've taken!)

Would I upgrade an 80s or 90s bike? Yes, but I say that because that suits me. I would cry out a "Here, here!" with 50+Cycling's experience. One of my favorite bikes has to be my '83 Trek 700. It's similar to 50+'s Trek in that it has 531 frame and an old friction Suntour Superbe Pro drive train. It is one of the only bikes that "disappears" underneath me.

Old 03-19-21, 08:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I can't think of anyone I know who would do that

However, for pure WTF points, nothing beats a BT turntable.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-19-21, 06:57 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
What is going to kill you (or make the bike feel heavy) is rotating weight. Specifically, those HEAVY Marathon tires weigh somewhere near 740 grams each for 700x28. A lighter 'road' tire weighs somewhere near 280gr in the same 700x28 tire size (just so we're tanking an apples-to-apples comparison here). That 460gr per tire difference is A POUND per tire! Every tire rotation you are lifting that weight, then accelerating it to 2x riding speed (tire velocity with respect to the ground at the top of the tire). F=MA Force equals Mass times Acceleration. Simple physics means you are doing a LOT of work to accelerate that rotating weight. Of course the weight is killing you. If you were to get a nine-pound lighter bike and shod it with those heavy-tire 'combat boots', would you expect it to ride significantly different? The truth says otherwise.

Here's a little side-story that may serve as an example for you...

When I bought my '86 Miyata 710 off Craigslist while on vacation at my mother's place in Phoenix, it had a flat rear tire (I can't remember the brand) and a very skinny 23mm Vittoria Zaffiro on the front. The local bike shop only had a single Vittoria Randonneur 28 (similar to your bike's Schwalbe Marathon) in stock - and even that was over 2x internet price - yikes! I put that Randonneur on the rear along with a new tube and made the bike rideable at least - but it felt like a slug. AND it rode like a truck.

On my next visit to AZ, I packed along a pair of VIttoria Rubino Pro Tech tires and new matching tubes. Tires are ~280g each, and tubes are ~105g each, so less than 400 grams for tire and tube per wheel. When I went to remove the front tire, it had the the 400 gram wire-bead Zaffiro tire AND a heavy 'thorn proof' tube that was filled with Slime.That tube with slime weighed more than a pound by itself! The Randonneur tire that I had put on previously weighed ~700g plus the ~150gr standard tube. So total weight for both old tires/tubes was somewhere near 1.8Kg or close to FOUR POUNDS. New tires/tubes weighed 1.75 pounds total or 2-1/4 pounds less!!!

The difference in ride quality was remarkable! The lighter/more supple 150tpi (threads per inch) tires absorbed the road irregularities much better than the stiff slime-filled thorn tube/ 33tpi stiff carcass tires. Same frame, same wheelset, same other components. The only variable was the tires/tubes.

Last year, I was forced to get a new wheelset, and is even lighter by another half pound of rotating weight. Let me just tell you that I am VERY happy with my '80s steel bike now. Under 22-1/2 pounds now. Would I trade it for a newer 'wunderbike'? Not on your life!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 03-20-21, 09:46 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Every tire rotation you are lifting that weight, then accelerating it to 2x riding speed (tire velocity with respect to the ground at the top of the tire). F=MA Force equals Mass times Acceleration. Simple physics means you are doing a LOT of work to accelerate that rotating weight. Of course the weight is killing you.
This is a mischaracterization of what's going on.

Yes, at any given moment, there is a piece of the tire that is stationary against the ground. And yes, half a wheel rotation later, it will be going 2x your riding speed. And yes, the energy to accelerate that piece of the tire to that speed does need to have come from somewhere if the wheel is to maintain a steady rotating speed.
But that "somewhat" is not effort from the cyclist. It's the rest of the wheel. Remember that when the piece of the tire was stationary against the ground, there was another piece of the tire half a rotation away that was moving 2x the speed of the bicycle. When this piece of tire loses velocity as it spins down toward the contact patch, it gives it back to the wheel and bicycle.

Rotating weight does resist acceleration more than non-rotating weight (twice as much if it's at the rim), and it's easy to feel in how the bike rocks from side-to-side because of gyroscopic effects. But when rolling at a steady speed along level ground, it doesn't really add any resistance.

Super-heavy tire setups are usually slower than light tire setups, but the largest factor tends to be rolling resistance.