Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which Cat to register for first race?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-18-21, 11:07 AM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Want to try my first race at age 46. The options for registering are Cat 5 or Masters (45+) with no cat options given for the masters. Which one do I sign up for?

Chris
Old 03-18-21, 11:23 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
5. It will be hard enough.

Master 45+ will be 'open' which means you'll be blown off in just a few laps.

A lot of races will let you sign up for multiple, so there's no harm in doing both, though if the Master's is first you may be too toasted for another race.
Likes For superdex:
Old 03-18-21, 11:27 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm not a racer and never will be. But from what I've heard, you definitely want 5. That's the 'beginner' class. If you do well there, you can always move up next time.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There are three other subforums that would be better places to ask your question:

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing would be my first recommendation

Masters Racing - All Disciplines would be second, and

Road Cycling would be third.

This general cycling subforum has a higher percentage of non-racers.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex

A lot of races will let you sign up for multiple, so there's no harm in doing both, though if the Master's is first you may be too toasted for another race.
+1 to all of this.
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts

In addition, one reason everyone starts as a CAT 5 is so they get some experience racing before they're thrown in with (and endanger) more experienced riders.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-18-21, 11:29 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
There are three other subforums that would be better places to ask your question:

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing would be my first recommendation
Masters Racing - All Disciplines would be second, and
Road Cycling would be third.

This general cycling subforum has a higher percentage of non-racers.
Although true, the OP's question is a simple one. I'm a non-racer but have volunteered at enough races to confidently answer the question asked.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 03-18-21, 11:53 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Agree with Cat 5. Most of the 45+ riders will be 2's and 3's, and they will likely post faster laps. Also, they won't be happy with a squirrelly noob potentially wrecking them... although there's a good chance you'll be off the back in short order on your first race.
Old 03-18-21, 11:56 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
As mentioned, don't let the Masters 45+ fool you, those guys are strong af. So unless you're really strong and just don't race a lot, I'd start with the Cat5 race and see how it goes.

I did my first (and only lol) road race last year in Cat 4/5, and did well. Same race is coming up again next month, I've improved enough (I'm not licensed, but would prob be a strong Cat3, maybe hit Cat2 with more focus/racing), so I'm going to do Masters this time (I'm 46), and it will def be a tough race.
Old 03-18-21, 12:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris O
Want to try my first race at age 46. The options for registering are Cat 5 or Masters (45+) with no cat options given for the masters. Which one do I sign up for?

Chris
I was in the exact same boat as you when I signed up for my first race, although it was M35+ Open. I thought "it's a bunch of old guys, how hard could it be?" Turned out, HELLA hard.

The masters race is going to be full of Cat 1s, 2s, maybe a former pro or two. Around here, the 45+ is almost always harder than the Cat 3 race.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-18-21, 12:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

That's what I was going to suggest, especially if the Masters race is later in the day. Just race that one for experience and fitness. Your goal will be to stay attached for as many laps as possible.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-18-21, 01:28 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
As mentioned, don't let the Masters 45+ fool you, those guys are strong af. So unless you're really strong and just don't race a lot, I'd start with the Cat5 race and see how it goes.

I did my first (and only lol) road race last year in Cat 4/5, and did well. Same race is coming up again next month, I've improved enough (I'm not licensed, but would prob be a strong Cat3, maybe hit Cat2 with more focus/racing), so I'm going to do Masters this time (I'm 46), and it will def be a tough race.

True story right there. Discipline and familiarity with suffering is all it takes to be faster. And natural talent. Incidentally, I thought about a user name change of “Pedals_for_Whisky” but it seemed like a ripoff.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-18-21, 01:32 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
As others noted, the Masters race will be much, much faster and more difficult than you expect.

That said, do not expect Cat 5 to be a cake walk either. There may be some very strong guys showing up for their first races and blowing the field apart. But don't let that discourage you. The truth is, Cat 5 is where they have everyone start, and some people are legit Cat 1s or 2s doing their first races. As you race more and gain more experience with racing, you'll find out where you fit.

Be sure to read through some of the beginner racer threads in the 33 Racing forum and check back to let us know how you do.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-18-21, 01:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I was in the exact same boat as you when I signed up for my first race, although it was M35+ Open. I thought "it's a bunch of old guys, how hard could it be?" Turned out, HELLA hard.

The masters race is going to be full of Cat 1s, 2s, maybe a former pro or two. Around here, the 45+ is almost always harder than the Cat 3 race.
100% this ^^^!!!

Masters racing (any age group) is filled with guys who are experienced racers with a crap-ton of miles in their legs, and sharp tactical savvy. M45+ would be a very rough place for a newbie to start.
Old 03-18-21, 01:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

I mostly race gravel now, not road. Most gravel races (at least, the ones I've done) have only age categories. My age category is usually 50-60, or 55-65, something like that...And I often would've placed HIGHER in a lower age cat. I can recall one race a couple years ago, when I was 4th in the 55-65 cat, and I would've won the 45-54 cat.

There are a lot of fast old people out there. I theorize it is because (1) their kids have long since left home and (2) most marriages have grown comfortable, and so there is plenty of time to train. And since earnings tend to peak in the 50s, more money for gear and race fees.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-18-21, 02:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I agree that the masters race might be harder, but I believe that it might be safer. The more inexperienced guys you have in a pack the more disorganized and squirrely it will be. I would rather race with guys who know how to avoid trouble than a bunch of inexperienced people who may never have ridden in a pack before
Old 03-18-21, 02:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I agree that the masters race might be harder, but I believe that it might be safer. The more inexperienced guys you have in a pack the more disorganized and squirrely it will be. I would rather race with guys who know how to avoid trouble than a bunch of inexperienced people who may never have ridden in a pack before
Valid point. Also, riding solo after you get mercilessly ejected from the back of the group is very safe.
Old 03-18-21, 03:20 PM
Koyote

Well, that's one perspective. I think all of those Masters racers, confronted with a newbie racer, might have a different perspective.

Though as Eric F notes, it might only be a problem for a short time.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-18-21, 04:50 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Koyote
Well, that's one perspective. I think all of those Masters racers, confronted with a newbie racer, might have a different perspective.

Though as Eric F notes, it might only be a problem for a short time.
It's true that experienced masters might show disapproval of an inexperienced beginner, but I will take a few harsh words over somebody who has no idea about how to hold his line in a pack taking me down when he cuts in front of me
Old 03-18-21, 05:07 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
It's true that experienced masters might show disapproval of an inexperienced beginner, but I will take a few harsh words over somebody who has no idea about how to hold his line in a pack taking me down when he cuts in front of me
If your wheel was exposed so he could move over on you, it's your fault you went down.
Old 03-18-21, 05:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
But you have to keep in mind that the OP is quite possibly one of the guys who "has no idea how to hold his line in a pack"
Old 03-18-21, 05:17 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I don't race in real life, just on Zwift. When I look at results on Zwift Power it's filled with old people (I'm 47) who are crazy strong. When I've had a good race or group ride I'll friend them and they're all in their 40s or 50s or even 60s when I check out their profile. One long Zwift group ride (Haute Route 2020 with a few thousand riders) when I bonked up a long hill I got caught by a woman who is in her 60s.

In other words, I'd sooner race against Cat 5 in real life than other people my own age.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-18-21, 06:47 PM
Koyote

You missed my point.

Cat 5 exists for a reason: it is for "inexperienced beginner" racers. In other words, racers who are not "masters."

Last edited by Koyote; 03-18-21 at 06:57 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-18-21, 06:49 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by guachi
I don't race in real life, just on Zwift. When I look at results on Zwift Power it's filled with old people (I'm 47) who are crazy strong. When I've had a good race or group ride I'll friend them and they're all in their 40s or 50s or even 60s when I check out their profile. One long Zwift group ride (Haute Route 2020 with a few thousand riders) when I bonked up a long hill I got caught by a woman who is in her 60s.

In other words, I'd sooner race against Cat 5 in real life than other people my own age.
Not sure that I'd call that "racing," but perhaps that is a subject for a different thread.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-18-21, 07:04 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Koyote
You missed my point.

Cat 5 exists for a reason: it is for "inexperienced beginner" racers. In other words, racers who are not "masters."
Masters are classed by age, not by experience or ability. They used to call us veterans, but they changed that about 20 years ago not long after I started racing as a "master"
Likes For alcjphil:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.