Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Music Status?

Old 03-25-21, 10:12 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Woke up with this stuck in my head:

Now I'm browsing various world music playlists on Spotify

I've got a pair of JBL Studio 530s on my desk, which are huge but surprisingly good for near-field listening. No fancy amp though, just some Klipsch powergate dac that was on sale

Not mine but for an idea of the size on a desk:

I also have a ridiculously oversized subwoofer hooked up because I went a different direction for the home theater setup and had to put it *somewhere*, but I usually leave it off while working unless I'm really jamming on something. It's almost as tall as the desk and gets silly loud

Last edited by wktmeow; 03-25-21 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 03-25-21, 03:12 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
This is the CO place. I had to move out of upstairs unit as we are renting it. I moved into a former women's bathroom from 1948. The room outside (lowest pic) the wall is much bigger. The lowest photo is 1,500sq feet. It is unusable now due to echo. I have the amps for that - just not sure what I'm going to do yet. I may get some special period based Altec Hollywood (speakers) - I'm working a guy.

I have my calibrated mic and will be doing acoustic measurements next trip (maybe because we really need furniture). I alerted the wife I need carpets soon. On the walls and floors.

Last edited by Doge; 03-25-21 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 05:34 PM
wktmeow

Doge I think you might appreciate my pandemic project

I stuffed an inifinite baffle subwoofer manifold in my ceiling

It gets pretty scary loud, I'm afraid to crank it. I did a test tone at 15 hz without warning my wife and she thought we were having an earthquake. The drivers are a pair of 18" Fi Car Audio ib318v2 with 33mm of excursion. Extends down into the single digit hz with good spl, response could be a little flatter likely due to only having the one manifold and so susceptible to room modes. The best part about it is there is generally very low distortion with a setup like this, and the lack of a box gives a very uncolored sound that blends very well with music. I'd love a second manfiold, but it would be hard to find another good place for it in the attic, and wife would probably veto it.

Last edited by wktmeow; 03-25-21 at 05:51 PM.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 03-25-21, 09:02 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Doge I think you might appreciate my pandemic project

I stuffed an inifinite baffle subwoofer manifold in my ceiling

It gets pretty scary loud, I'm afraid to crank it. I did a test tone at 15 hz without warning my wife and she thought we were having an earthquake. The drivers are a pair of 18" Fi Car Audio ib318v2 with 33mm of excursion. Extends down into the single digit hz with good spl, response could be a little flatter likely due to only having the one manifold and so susceptible to room modes. The best part about it is there is generally very low distortion with a setup like this, and the lack of a box gives a very uncolored sound that blends very well with music. I'd love a second manfiold, but it would be hard to find another good place for it in the attic, and wife would probably veto it.
Powered by? I don't see an amp on the box. I have an REL I keep on the floor.
Certainly not used to a sub in the ceiling. Is that why low distortion? Definitely interesting.

Sunday afternoon I'm going up to HB to hear some stuff. We chat about the best you've ever heard of this and that. I'm taking my Fisher SA-300 Mullards tub amp and some tuned Heresy speakers.

If fit cyclist likes to hang with beer drinking fat audiophiles - you might want to head up this way sometime.
Old 03-26-21, 09:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts

Also sampled by The Fugees (w/ Lauryn Hill), in "Zealots", I think.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-26-21, 10:26 AM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by Doge
Powered by? I don't see an amp on the box. I have an REL I keep on the floor.
Certainly not used to a sub in the ceiling. Is that why low distortion? Definitely interesting.

Sunday afternoon I'm going up to HB to hear some stuff. We chat about the best you've ever heard of this and that. I'm taking my Fisher SA-300 Mullards tub amp and some tuned Heresy speakers.

If fit cyclist likes to hang with beer drinking fat audiophiles - you might want to head up this way sometime.
There's a Behringer NX3000 in the media stand, speaker wiring going up through the walls, EQ'ed with a MiniDSP 2x4(although I need to purchase a MiniDSP HD, as the output voltage of this one does not match the behringer... the great thing about standards is that there's so many to choose from).

Low distortion is partly due to the large drivers, partly due to lack of rear pressure that you'd have in a sealed box. The sound is also less colored or 'boomy' than you'd get with a traditional sealed/ported sub.

Not sure I have the budget to be a 'true' audiophile, but if I'm up your way soon I'll shoot you a message. I'm curious to hear if your audiophile buddies have ever looked into IB. This all stemmed from me wanted to replace our cheap home theater in a box, then my wife being displeased with the size of the 'entry level' HSU subwoofer (although she did admit it sounded great). So when I heard I could get better sound quality, hide the box, and have a fun project to work on, all for a cost of around $1k, I went for it. Although now I fear my little bookshelf speakers aren't keeping up, so I'm shopping around for some nicer towers. A nicer amp for the mains is probably next instead of using the AVR, so I guess I'm starting down the rabbit hole.

Anyway, if I've piqued some curiosity about IB subs, check out https://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/, https://www.jonathanfoulkes.com/ibsub, IB subwoofer FAQ page, and https://sites.google.com/bucknell.ed...ffle-subwoofer for starters. I'm pretty new to this arena but I'm very pleased with the results from mine (although hunting down rattles throughout the living area is a new pastime of mine)
Old 03-26-21, 10:52 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by wktmeow
There's a Behringer NX3000 in the media stand, speaker wiring going up through the walls, EQ'ed with a MiniDSP 2x4(although I need to purchase a MiniDSP HD, as the output voltage of this one does not match the behringer... the great thing about standards is that there's so many to choose from).

Low distortion is partly due to the large drivers, partly due to lack of rear pressure that you'd have in a sealed box. The sound is also less colored or 'boomy' than you'd get with a traditional sealed/ported sub.

Not sure I have the budget to be a 'true' audiophile, but if I'm up your way soon I'll shoot you a message. I'm curious to hear if your audiophile buddies have ever looked into IB. This all stemmed from me wanted to replace our cheap home theater in a box, then my wife being displeased with the size of the 'entry level' HSU subwoofer (although she did admit it sounded great). So when I heard I could get better sound quality, hide the box, and have a fun project to work on, all for a cost of around $1k, I went for it. Although now I fear my little bookshelf speakers aren't keeping up, so I'm shopping around for some nicer towers. A nicer amp for the mains is probably next instead of using the AVR, so I guess I'm starting down the rabbit hole.

Anyway, if I've piqued some curiosity about IB subs, check out https://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/, https://www.jonathanfoulkes.com/ibsub, IB subwoofer FAQ page, and https://sites.google.com/bucknell.ed...ffle-subwoofer for starters. I'm pretty new to this arena but I'm very pleased with the results from mine (although hunting down rattles throughout the living area is a new pastime of mine)
I thought the "true audiophile" spend point was when it was more costly than the bikes. Toss in travel and I'm not there yet. The group is mixed. Most have $10K-$20K invested and a few buy houses as listening projects. The group I most associate with is into vintage tube. Most are really into vinyl and analog while I do DACs. A 3,000W amp is unheard of in our group. We are running much lower tube power into efficient speakers into the flee watt range.

The IB was new to me and interesting. I did look up on AudioKarma.org (you should check them out) and see some discussion about it.
Likes For Doge:
Old 03-26-21, 02:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Interesting discussion thanks to Doge and others. The house I purchased in 2016 had speakers installed throughout the house in the ceiling and the family room was set up as a home theatre with 3 speakers in the ceiling at the front and 2 in the rear and a power subwoofer in a cabinet next to the fireplace with hole in the bottom of the cabinet.

I had a audio video company design and setup a home automation system with audio video controlled from my computer or phone as well as a TV style remote. The speakers are okay but not great even though they are good quality, a ceiling location is marginal. However, my wife loves that everything is hidden and she can dial up whatever music, lighting and HVAC from her iPhone. She hates to see speakers or speaker wire.

My best listening is via my B&O head phones although the feed is basic Apple computer quality or via the web. No analog amplifier for me. Boo.

In my younger days, I had some direct to disc recordings that were really nice.

To my dismay, the higher frequencies of my hearing are starting to diminish. I have been tested and I got the classic diagnosis from the doc - you are doing really well for a man of your age. Please. Spare me. Let’s talk about how to fix / decrease the rate of decline.

According to my doc, my ears are perfect. It is in the brain where vibrations are turned into what we hear as sound is the problem. She did not really have a fix.

What I have noticed is that since restarting piano and playing the counterpunctal music where I have to listen to each voice and strike the keys at different intensities to “voice” the music, my hearing seems better. Maybe I wish it to be better and have deluded myself into thinking it is better. When this Covid thing is behind us, I will get another hearing test and see if I have improved.

My hypo is the brain is so goal oriented that if given a hard task such as playing a 4 voice fugue perfectly, it will “train” and improve. As a musician, I have to produce a certain quality of sound with a lot of details and to know whether it I correct or not, I have to hear it.

I think audiophiles in their pursuit of quality sound also challenge their brains to differentiate what is “good”. Let’s hope we all maintain our hearing and its ability to differentiate small details over a wide range of frequencies.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-26-21, 05:46 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hermes
... the feed is basic Apple computer quality or via the web.
The LG V60ThinQ (Android phone) has a "Quad DAC" and while it based for not being a true quad, it is very very good. I also get over 100Mbps tethering with it.
The DAC makes a huge difference. The Sony X777ES SACD, CD sound better than many higher bitrate recordings. I don't have one - yet. Blew me away when I heard it.

I know Direct to Disc is not the same as DSD and other digital but it is another hole to go down. CD is 16bit/44.1kHz I have many 1 bit 256/512 DSD files that eat up my disc space. I can't hear the difference - except in my head. Most of us can tell a CD vs a 24bit/96kHz super but, like anything, it is fun to play around.
What I have noticed if you can get a track in DSD it was likely well recorded. It will be pretty good in CD and better after that.

A lot of the guys just like vinyl even though they were most likely pressed by a digital master. You can still buy all analog recordings, but they are very expensive. I'm not shelling out $5K for the turn tables to support them.
Frankly, while I hear differences, I often don't know what I prefer. There are good recordings and bad ones. Get a good recording - it just sounds great and different through a whole bunch of setups.
This one track is in DSD 64, 128, 256 and 512 (100X CD size) is stupid and requires too much computer resources or I go spend more big bucks for something I can't hear.
My DSD single track is 1.8GB vs 18MB for a FLAC (lossless) CD

My hearing is also not what it used to be, but I learned to recognize things. Most music does not need 25 year old ears. Things I could not pick out 2 years ago I can now. My old roommate has terrible hearing now, but he can hear the difference in a SS vs a Tube amp.

I know there are crickets in this track. If you don't tell someone they are there, they generally will not notice. My kids didn't notice. Tell them, and many can hear (you need semi good equipment and using a better player helps). I can barely here them here, but I know they are there.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Play on this...with some clean cables and amp and you can start identifying the species (really - their are cricket chirping pages).

Last edited by Doge; 03-26-21 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 10:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Well, I listened to the Road House via my iPad using Apple earbuds (hey, why not) and my B&O H8i headphones. No crickets but I did hear a mouse walk across the floor and a fly buzzing around and one of the stools creaked. To be fair to the H8i headphones and my ears, I was using a Bluetooth connection.

wktmeow and TMonk please listen and see if you guys hear the crickets.
Old 03-28-21, 10:45 PM
Doge

Well, I listened to the Road House via my iPad using Apple earbuds (hey, why not) and my B&O H8i headphones. No crickets but I did hear a mouse walk across the floor and a fly buzzing around and one of the stools creaked. To be fair to the H8i headphones and my ears, I was using a Bluetooth connection.

wktmeow and TMonk please listen and see if you guys hear the crickets.
Maybe I didn't post "clearly" enough. I think the YouTube version is extremely difficult to hear those crickets. I can because I know they are there.
Those insects are why this album goes for $85. But if you want to hear them, I expect you would on a San Clemente visit. Then you might not. We are all getting old.
Old 03-29-21, 06:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Interesting discussion thanks to Doge and others. The house I purchased in 2016 had speakers installed throughout the house in the ceiling and the family room was set up as a home theatre with 3 speakers in the ceiling at the front and 2 in the rear and a power subwoofer in a cabinet next to the fireplace with hole in the bottom of the cabinet.

I had a audio video company design and setup a home automation system with audio video controlled from my computer or phone as well as a TV style remote. The speakers are okay but not great even though they are good quality, a ceiling location is marginal. However, my wife loves that everything is hidden and she can dial up whatever music, lighting and HVAC from her iPhone. She hates to see speakers or speaker wire.

My best listening is via my B&O head phones although the feed is basic Apple computer quality or via the web. No analog amplifier for me. Boo.

To my dismay, the higher frequencies of my hearing are starting to diminish. I have been tested and I got the classic diagnosis from the doc - you are doing really well for a man of your age. Please. Spare me. Let’s talk about how to fix / decrease the rate of decline.

According to my doc, my ears are perfect. It is in the brain where vibrations are turned into what we hear as sound is the problem. She did not really have a fix.

What I have noticed is that since restarting piano and playing the counterpunctal music where I have to listen to each voice and strike the keys at different intensities to “voice” the music, my hearing seems better. Maybe I wish it to be better and have deluded myself into thinking it is better. When this Covid thing is behind us, I will get another hearing test and see if I have improved.

My hypo is the brain is so goal oriented that if given a hard task such as playing a 4 voice fugue perfectly, it will “train” and improve. As a musician, I have to produce a certain quality of sound with a lot of details and to know whether it I correct or not, I have to hear it.

I think audiophiles in their pursuit of quality sound also challenge their brains to differentiate what is “good”. Let’s hope we all maintain our hearing and its ability to differentiate small details over a wide range of frequencies.
As someone who has lost hearing in one ear, I encourage you to do whatever you can to protect it. Hearing aids help, but they are not perfect.
Old 04-01-21, 09:59 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I really like the idea of simplicity in listening to music - vinyl record with fancy large jacket, turntable, amplifier and wired speakers. I can install the system myself and troubleshoot problems plus get the benefit of analog music reproduction. And it is in plain site and takes up a lot of room.

And I really like the idea of a totally digital system with executive software control with multiple amplifiers driving hidden speakers throughout the house and integrated with my TV system and Apple TV.

However, when the digital system goes amuck, even for an electrical engineer, I find myself in the Twilight Zone of looking through apps trying to trouble shoot what happened while wondering if it is software of hardware problem. Finally calling tech support for ideas.

Yesterday, I select an Apple Music feed on Sonos and select which room I want and the set the volume from Control4 applications. The music plays. I put my iPhone down and the music stops. I click the stop/play button and everything appears to be working but no sound. Did I accidentally mute something? Could not find the problem.

Later in the day, start to troubleshoot. Cannot figure out what has happened. I still have high speed internet and TV. I remember that Sonos has a master fixed volume setting. I find that screen and the fixed volume was muted. How? Doge’s crickets I think. Software gremlins. Unmute the fixed volume and the system starts playing.

Later that night, my radio frequency integrated Control4 remote control stops controlling Apple TV. I switch to the Apple TV controller and it works but nothing with play on Apple TV and the screen says check back later. I reboot Apple TV and the system works but the integrated remote does not. I call this guy I use for tech support who was formerly a “hacker”. If I have to call a hacker to fix something, I should check my premises.

He said to see if the infrared flasher on the front of Apple TV had fallen off. Yes, it did when I unplugged the Apple TV to do a cold reboot. I reconnect the flasher and all is well.

My wife says it is impossible to troubleshoot the system. It is not impossible for a former hacker and electrical engineer to fix and you wanted a completely hidden, totally integrated system that you could control from your iPhone. And there is a succession plan, I put the hacker’s phone number in your iPhone.

Old 04-03-21, 08:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Technology, man. The more automation there is, the more back-end to troubleshoot and the more UI becomes important.

I'm in the stone age over here, typing from a wireless keyboard on my living room couch to a laptop that is connected to our TV (HDMI). The sound goes from the TV to a Yamaha (600w?) amplifier/receiver via optical audio cable and to our (wired) speakers from there. Simple, basic, but easy to use and troubleshoot.

At any rate, my mood is as follows below. Simple, slow, hearing a lot of other British rock influences (Floyd. Beatles etc):

Last edited by TMonk; 04-03-21 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 03:55 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Ok Computer has a place in my heart, reminds me of sr year of HS. Great album
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-06-21, 08:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

My wife and I are rewatching HBO’s The Young Pope. The theme during the opening credits is All Along the Watchtower by Jimmy Hendrix. I really liked his music and but yet another superb talent we lost way too early.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-24-21, 08:52 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I have this song in my head. Watching too much of the New Pope.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-25-21, 08:49 PM
Doge

Now that I am old and can't hear nearly as well as I could, I have learned the physicals parts are not nearly as important as learning what to listen for. I keep telling myself that anyway. The color changes that come from different amps, different speakers and different cables distracts me from listening to the actual song often - or so my wife says.
An audio friend dropped by his Mac Mx110 pre, so testing with the different amps, speakers and Interconnects. All different. I should just listen sometime.
Likes For Doge:
Old 04-30-21, 09:12 AM
Doge

PSA for those that spin the vinyl. You can now pre-order Lili Kraus Mozart Piano Sonatas in True Mono 7 LP box for only GBP2950 (~$4,000). The box looks really nice.
https://www.theelectricrecordingco.c.../piano-sonatas
Likes For Doge:
Old 04-30-21, 12:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Been listening to Andy Bey lately. Quite a voice.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-30-21, 01:08 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Doge
PSA for those that spin the vinyl. You can now pre-order Lili Kraus Mozart Piano Sonatas in True Mono 7 LP box for only GBP2950 (~$4,000). The box looks really nice.
https://www.theelectricrecordingco.c.../piano-sonatas
That is an interesting collection. My issue is I do not have a turntable any longer, I would be afraid to play them for fear of damage and it seems more interesting to display the collection than play them. But I absolutely get the allure.
Old 04-30-21, 01:19 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
This is harder stuff than I've generally listed to outside of 80's metal like Metallica, but I've been listening to Gojira a lot and they have a new album. Normally I don't really like a lot of screamy music, but these guys are good musicians and their music has an environmental slant to it, so it's more than just like slam your head into the wall type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Lrv3hin0cyJe80
Old 05-05-21, 01:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

My latest piano shtick is music theory. So I am writing homework assignments on blank scores of music. Okay, my penmanship is terrible. I can type fast but I lost my ability to create fancy crap. Back to basics. Composers such as Bach and Mozart wrote using quill pens and ink and many of the original manuscripts are flawless with no corrections. I am definitely off the back in Offthebackistan on this one - for now. Although the music theory is really interesting.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-05-21, 02:25 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
This is worth watching - especially the Prince guitar work.
Old 05-06-21, 09:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of replacing my receiver. I have a Denon 3802, which was a really great AV Receiver when I got it new in 2002 (hence the 02 in the model number). But it lacks HDMI and wireless capability. I've got the Roku connected via an HDMI to Component Video converter, which works OK. It allows me to stream Spotify over the Roku app, but it's not the easiest interface.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.