Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage rims not compatible w/modern tires

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 01:06 PM
francis1

Bikes: All early 80s, BRC Roadmaster 707, Bianchi Bici, Apollo, couple Nishikis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Question about vintage rims & tires. A number of times, I've found that with 70s 27" steel rims, modern tires will blow off the rim at 80/90 psi. I get that the older rims don't have much if any hook, but my question is how were tires different in 1975 from modern ones to prevent this from happening. Thicker wire bead? Are any modern tires suitable for these older rims?
Cheers
Old 04-02-21, 01:15 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by francis1
Question about vintage rims & tires. A number of times, I've found that with 70s 27" steel rims, modern tires will blow off the rim at 80/90 psi. I get that the older rims don't have much if any hook, but my question is how were tires different in 1975 from modern ones to prevent this from happening. Thicker wire bead? Are any modern tires suitable for these older rims?
Cheers
Was the blowoff happening with rims that were completely hook-free? "Hookless" were common back in the day. They were never intended for high pressures. Hooked rims should be fine at high pressures with folding or wire beads. I don't recall if folding bead tires work with hookless rims. Someone will come along and give info on that.

Blowoffs at 80 seem a little weird. This thread has a few members claiming 80 is fine, but it definitely depends on the tire/rim combo. Some tires fit much tighter than others. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...edge-rims.html
Likes For tricky:
Old 04-02-21, 01:16 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
I use Panaracer Pasela wire bead tires on my older 27" rims and they generally hold on at 80psi or so.
Likes For daverup:
Old 04-02-21, 01:23 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
70s steel 27 inch rims.. tires were 1 1/4 inch. 60-70 pounds was high pressure. Nobody had a Schrader pump that went that high.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-02-21, 01:23 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Yup, it was the wire beads that kept higher pressure tires on rims back then....
Old 04-02-21, 02:04 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Conti makes Super Sport wire beads that should stay on.
Old 04-02-21, 02:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Steel rims will require steel bead tires.
Expectation that one can go above 65-70psi... Variable. 90? NO.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-06-21, 07:25 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I found a specific tire and rim combination that did not work together. Unfortunately, it is a matter of trial and error, and the tube extrusion scenario can happen several hours or even days after initial inflation. After 3 occurrences, checking my work ever more carefully on each iteration, I concluded the tire and rim were incompatible and moved on. Have had no problems with other tires on that particular rim model. The rim is a mid-70s Araya aluminum 27x1-1/4 and the tire is a 2009 vintage Forte something or other 27x1-1/4. Both items going strong today with no issues, combined with alternative counterparts. I do believe the Forte tires are now mounted on rims with beads.
[edit]
In case there is any misunderstanding about the Forte tire, it is kevlar belted, but most definitely with a conventional steel bead.

Last edited by old's'cool; 04-07-21 at 04:55 PM. Reason: kevlar clarification
Old 04-06-21, 09:12 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
IIRC a lot of those tires back then had "75psi max" molded right into the rubber.

There can be some tire variability as well. I remember a very cheap Japanese tire on some lower-end Matsuris that would never blow off at 75psi, but almost always blow off at 76psi+. We made Matsuri take them all back and give us Panaracer replacements.
Old 04-07-21, 05:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1. Steel, non-hooked rims require tyres with rigid/steel beads. Even, then they could blow off if the tyres were not seated properly. Prior to hooked edge rims, checking for proper seating was a standard practice. Most tyres had a circumferential line molded into the tyre that would roughly align with the rim's outer edge, to aid in visual seating of the tyre. You would partially inflate the tyre, then check for proper seating. If it wasn't correct, you would deflate the tyre and re-seat it.

Tyres for 27" steel rims typically had a maximum pressure of 65-75 psi. Aluminum rims had a higher coefficient of friction with rubber and you could get away with higher pressure tyres on non-hooked versions of aluminum rims, though the tyres still had to be rigid bead versions. Using detergent when mounting tyres on steel rims decreased the co-efficient of friction and was typically a recipe for disaster, unless you were very careful with seating and waited for it to dry before inflating to full pressure.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-07-21, 05:55 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
+1. Steel, non-hooked rims require tyres with rigid/steel beads. Even, then they could blow off if the tyres were not seated properly. Prior to hooked edge rims, checking for proper seating was a standard practice. Most tyres had a circumferential line molded into the tyre that would roughly align with the rim's outer edge, to aid in visual seating of the tyre. You would partially inflate the tyre, then check for proper seating. If it wasn't correct, you would deflate the tyre and re-seat it.

Tyres for 27" steel rims typically had a maximum pressure of 65-75 psi. Aluminum rims had a higher coefficient of friction with rubber and you could get away with higher pressure tyres on non-hooked versions of aluminum rims, though the tyres still had to be rigid bead versions. Using detergent when mounting tyres on steel rims decreased the co-efficient of friction and was typically a recipe for disaster, unless you were very careful with seating and waited for it to dry before inflating to full pressure.
+1 I still do that to this day.
Old 04-07-21, 04:20 PM
francis1

Bikes: All early 80s, BRC Roadmaster 707, Bianchi Bici, Apollo, couple Nishikis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like it boils down to compatibility, aka trial and error. 27 x 1 & 1/4 tires seem to vary quite a bit in their width. The fatter tires hold fairly well on non hooked steel rims even at 90 psi, where a narrower tire with same nominal dimensions will blow off at 80 psi. Cheers
Likes For francis1:
Old 04-07-21, 04:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar

Tyres for 27" steel rims typically had a maximum pressure of 65-75 psi. Aluminum rims had a higher coefficient of friction with rubber and you could get away with higher pressure tyres on non-hooked versions of aluminum rims, though the tyres still had to be rigid bead versions. Using detergent when mounting tyres on steel w rims decreased the co-efficient of friction and was typically a recipe for disaster, unless you were very careful with seating and waited for it to dry before inflating to full pressure.
I still do that. Partially inflate and check for seating.
With hooked rims.
Old 04-07-21, 04:58 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
guess what I tried to put as a acronym meaning usual method starting with S

Last edited by old's'cool; 04-07-21 at 05:06 PM. Reason: MF BF did not like all uppercase so I had to insert not spaces, but effing line breaks, which didn't even work, so screw it
Old 04-07-21, 05:20 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
For a 27 x 1 1/4" tire (nominal 32 mm width), unless you weigh 250 lbs or more you really don't need to inflate beyond 70 or 80 psi anyway.
Old 04-07-21, 08:42 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Was the blowoff happening with rims that were completely hook-free? "Hookless" were common back in the day. They were never intended for high pressures. Hooked rims should be fine at high pressures with folding or wire beads. I don't recall if folding bead tires work with hookless rims. Someone will come along and give info on that.

Blowoffs at 80 seem a little weird. This thread has a few members claiming 80 is fine, but it definitely depends on the tire/rim combo. Some tires fit much tighter than others. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...edge-rims.html
I think this is not quite true. I have an old 27" Rudge with 27x1 ¼" Dunlop Special Lightweight rims with no hooks in the rims. "Old" here means 1952. The tires are modern Specialized RoadSport wire-bead, proper size. In installation, the wire bead fits tightly on the rim pressing the bead into the inner rim. With a good rim strip this creates a pretty seamless base for the tube. The tube, when inflated, presses the tire bead even tighter into the inner rim surface. I don't have a vintage tire to test it with, but with the modern Specialized, I filled it up to 90 psi (marked limit of the tire), rode it about 5 miles, put it away and left the wheels while I started the overhaul.. Several months late, still good pressure.

70 or 80 psi is not the limit for that tire technology on a hookless rim. It may be a valid limit for hooked tires on a hookless rim.. And the original Dunlop tires were marked as High Pressure good to 90 psi as well.
Old 04-08-21, 01:08 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think this is not quite true. I have an old 27" Rudge with 27x1 ¼" Dunlop Special Lightweight rims with no hooks in the rims. "Old" here means 1952. The tires are modern Specialized RoadSport wire-bead, proper size. In installation, the wire bead fits tightly on the rim pressing the bead into the inner rim. With a good rim strip this creates a pretty seamless base for the tube. The tube, when inflated, presses the tire bead even tighter into the inner rim surface. I don't have a vintage tire to test it with, but with the modern Specialized, I filled it up to 90 psi (marked limit of the tire), rode it about 5 miles, put it away and left the wheels while I started the overhaul.. Several months late, still good pressure.

70 or 80 psi is not the limit for that tire technology on a hookless rim. It may be a valid limit for hooked tires on a hookless rim.. And the original Dunlop tires were marked as High Pressure good to 90 psi as well.
Interesting data point. yeah, I was just quoting what I saw on that thread. It sounds like the "max" pressure for hookless rims is anywhere from 70-90 depending on the which rim and which tire you have.
Old 04-08-21, 02:09 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by francis1
Are any modern tires suitable for these older rims?
Where I am, they import container loads of used bikes from Japan. I believe many of them are the same size as the old 27 inch bikes. 27 inch tires and tubes are still readily available, and inexpensive, in S E Asia.
Old 04-09-21, 07:42 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
francis1 There is a thread, I think it's a sticky, on what is available in 27x1 ¼" tires, also known in modern times as 630 x 32 mm. If you have a non-hooked rim, you need to determine if the tire you are looking at is wire bead. It used to be that the tire and rim were both marked "27 x 1 ¼ inch," indicating they are designed to match. This is the case with my Dunlop rim and the Specialized tire. I'm looking for a set of wire bead 32 mm 630 mm Paselas for my old Rudge - I think that will be a pretty decent ride. I assume that if the Specialized engineers knew that these markings were supposed to indicate a match, then the Panaracer/Pasela engineers have the same understanding and competency. The Specialized Road Sport has ever appearance and feel of being a nice tire, but it weighs about 550 grams each where original Paselas and the Tserv variant are much less massive. I've only ridden about 5 miles on the original Rudge wheels, but I can feel the weight.

alo Where is your area, that all these used Japanese bikes are coming in? I think there are now so many new marketing designations of bike tire sizes in the USA that I tend to doubt tire designations any more. "630" is clear and specific as far as the bead seat diameter, but it doesn't say what the bead/inner rim design is.