Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Super Course Bottom Bracket/Spindle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 07:05 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts

Slowly proceeding with my old Raleigh Super Course project, and I want to switch to a square taper BB. The bottom bracket on this SC is 70mm and 26tpi, so most replacement bottom brackets won’t work. Sheldon recommends using the original cups and adding an appropriate spindle. He recommends a square taper spindle with the designation “7” (as opposed to a “3” or “5”) on it as well as using 6mm bearings. The “7” spindles are scarce, but the Dura Ace BB-7400 Spindle is listed for a 70mm BB shell. Will this work for me? Or will I need a “7” sized spindle as Sheldon says?
Old 04-04-21, 07:34 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...I have done this conversion a couple of times, and I have no idea whether a DA 7400spindle will work for this. Nor do I know where you would buy an old DA 7400 loose ball spindle nowadays. I did mine by sorting through a bin of spindles at the bike co-op, and one worked.......out of maybe a hundred in the parts bin.

I think, but am not entirely sure, that the "7" spindles were more commonly found on the mountain bikes of that time.

You might also check out old loose ball Italian standard spindles, which are about the right length between the bearing shoulders, but I don't know what you'll run into in terms of the bearing curvatures.

Mostly, this is one of those things you just have to try out in dry mock ups until you find something that works.

I have heard of people using sealed unit BB's with nylon cups on both sides, and just forcing them into the Raleigh proprietary threads, because they are nylon and will deform somewhat to fit. I have never tried this myself, and while it sounds possible in theory, I wonder if it's a lasting solution.
Old 04-04-21, 07:46 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
If you're not committed to replacing it per St. Sheldon's approach, Sunlite/YST and Velo Orange make threadless cartridges that tighten nicely into the shell. I've use them both, one in a Super Course.

Old 04-04-21, 08:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
If you're not committed to replacing it per St. Sheldon's approach, Sunlite/YST and Velo Orange make threadless cartridges that tighten nicely into the shell. I've use them both, one in a Super Course.
And Phil Wood could supply 1-3/8" x 26tpi mounting rings for a Phil cartridge of your choice.
Old 04-04-21, 10:57 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Thanks! I checked out the threadless ones - pretty interesting. I’ll keep researching.
Old 04-05-21, 02:39 AM
gilesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Above, 3Alarmer wrote "... and while it sounds possible in theory, I wonder if it's a lasting solution."
It is, at least in my experience. I used a Sunrace cartridge for cottered cranks in a Raleigh Sport with badly worn BB threads.
The plastic adjustable cup misthreaded in smoothly and it has been fine for over 5 years of daily winter use.
Likes For gilesa:
Old 04-05-21, 03:07 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
I got a generic italian cartridge with aluminium cups and put them on a lathe and made them 26 tpi. Works a treat, the bottom of the 36mm thread is just about the same as the top of the 1.375 thread.

Can do it again, pm me if interested.
Old 04-05-21, 05:45 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... I did mine by sorting through a bin of spindles at the bike co-op, and one worked.......out of maybe a hundred in the parts bin.
This is exactly what I did. Maybe OP could carefully measure the existing spindle and post it here. Someone might have one that would work.

Old 04-05-21, 12:03 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
This is exactly what I did. Maybe OP could carefully measure the existing spindle and post it here. Someone might have one that would work.

This is exactly how I’m approaching the same problem, to weight-weenie the chain set on my ‘52 Rudge. Same Raleigh proprietary BB threading. I took the old cottered spindle and measured the “B” distance, which is 55 mm. So any other steel spindle with B=55 mm and shaft diameter not too large for the British cups should fit the frame. Right now we’re not taking about other compatibility points. I’ve looked at three sets of cups for these frames, I’ve found the original races to have pretty smooth bearing tracks, certainly re-usable. Same for the cups on a 1970 Peugeot UO-8.

If you’re looking to minimize Q, nail the chainline, and not have any bolt (think Specialitee TA, Rene Herse or Stronglight 49d) or crank arm interference with the frame or the BB cups, you need to meet these requirements AND find and satisfy the constraints on the two spindle stub lengths. This is not always a problem that can be solved. One of the issues is that the English BB shells are 70 mm wide, not the 68 mm you find on the more modern Standard British stuff.

The Raleigh system (cups, spindles, cotter-pinned arm attachments, and BB shells fit together and still (!) work quite well! Too bad they weigh so darned much!

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-06-21 at 05:18 PM.
Likes For Road Fan: