Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Good Place To Shop Fatbike Tires?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 03-22-21, 10:46 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Bikes: 2013 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Anyone know of a good place to shop for fatbike tires? I need to find a 3.8 tubeless-ready rear tire for my Pugsley that rolls well on concrete, asphalt and trails. It's the end of the winter season and the Nate's got to go. Knobs on that thing are great for snow and winter driving--but vibratey and obnoxious on the road. It's like having a tractor tire on my bike.

Last edited by Ted Noiz; 03-23-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 05:09 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Can you fit a 4.8" tire in a '13 Pugs frame? I have a '14 Pugs and the stock Nates are relatively close to the rear stays. I'm not sure a near 5" tire would fit in this frame. Do they just barely fit?
Old 03-23-21, 08:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
3.8 - 4" is all you can fit on the pugsley.

You can shop numerous places online for fat bike tires including e-bay and pinkbike. Just do a google search.
Old 03-23-21, 09:15 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by prj71
3.8 - 4" is all you can fit on the pugsley.

You can shop numerous places online for fat bike tires including e-bay and pinkbike. Just do a google search.
Whoops! I meant to write 3.8. Dunno what I was thinking. Apologies for the confusion. And thanks for the tip!
Old 03-23-21, 09:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
No problem. Literally there are dozens of online places that sell fat bike tires.
Old 03-23-21, 10:39 AM
hokiefyd 

The Panaracer Fat B Nimble tires are supposed to be pretty nice for hardpack. Universal Cycles has 'em for about 70 bucks. The Specialized Fast Trak Fat also looks like a good option for smoother surfaces...though...they don't seem to be readily available. I'm not sure if they've been discontinued or not. Spesh's website shows them...but out of stock.
Old 03-23-21, 02:19 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

I snagged up the Fat B Nimble. We'll see how that rolls! Thanks for the tips, Everyone!
Old 03-24-21, 06:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Ted Noiz
I snagged up the Fat B Nimble. We'll see how that rolls! Thanks for the tips, Everyone!
Please report back! I have the Nates on my Pugs as well and, though I usually do ride it in primarily single track environments, maybe a smoother tire would enable me to expand its versatility a little bit.
Old 03-24-21, 10:51 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Please report back! I have the Nates on my Pugs as well and, though I usually do ride it in primarily single track environments, maybe a smoother tire would enable me to expand its versatility a little bit.
I can report now... I had (and still have in the fork) 45North Van Helga (tubeless), which is nice and light and rolls smooth and fast. Then I bounded some unknown object on the road one day that cut the rear Van Helga down. I replaced it with a tubeless 45North Husker Du (it was the only tire the local shop had available) which was even better than the Van Helga! Loved that tire! Then late last fall another unknown object on the road sliced through the Husker Du and that was the end of that tire. The only tire the shop had available next was the Surly Nate (w/ tube). I hate this tire on the road and concrete, which I drive on daily on my commute. It is the heaviest, most rigid, toughest tire I have ever owned and will shake you to your core and drag down your speed on the road because of the thick, high knobs, especially at lower pressures. It is great for snow, slush, mud, trails, gravel, etc., because it really digs in and gives you that traction, but it is miserable on the road--just miserable! And now, here in South Dakota anyway, the snow is all melted, so the Nate is no longer helpful in getting me where I want to go in ease and comfort. So it will be replaced with the Fat B Nimble I ordered yesterday (local bike shop had nothing for a fat bike). I can tell just by looking at the Fat it will roll much faster and easier on the pavement and flatter, groomed trails. I've also used the Maxxis Chronicle and a Specialized tire (can't recall which one it was) and I can tell you with certainty--any of these tires rolls better than the Nate on pavement! So, to answer your question, no doubt about it the Fat or any of the other tires I've mentioned are more versatile than the Surly Nate! Nate is good for one thing and one thing only--really tough stuff! The Nate will soon be hanging on the wall to serve as a spare tire and a winter tire.

As an aside, I prefer the fattest tire I can fit on the bike, front and back, and with high air pressure (usually maxed out). I want to roll fast and bouncy on the pavement (it's my flubberbike!), while still having grip in lower pressures for the trails and snow, etc. If I lived in the city and rolled only on pavement I would definitely go with a smooth fat tire at maximum pressure and be done with it.

Last edited by Ted Noiz; 03-24-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 11:47 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

The Jumbo Has Arrived

And will roll smoother and faster than the Nate! Gearing up for spring, summer, fall!

Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 04-05-21, 09:49 PM
Howard70

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If you can go up to a 4.0 rather than a 3.8, I recommend looking into Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. Lightest and best rolling fat tire I could find. Been running them for several years on my wife's Salsa Mukluk & she loves 'em. I'm running 2.6 x 27.5" Schwalbe Rocket Ron's on my Mukluk for a slightly more nimble ride. I've not found better rolling tires in those sizes than Schwalbes. Don't take my word for it - check out the real data!

Howard
Old 04-07-21, 11:29 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by Howard70
If you can go up to a 4.0 rather than a 3.8, I recommend looking into Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. Lightest and best rolling fat tire I could find. Been running them for several years on my wife's Salsa Mukluk & she loves 'em. I'm running 2.6 x 27.5" Schwalbe Rocket Ron's on my Mukluk for a slightly more nimble ride. I've not found better rolling tires in those sizes than Schwalbes. Don't take my word for it - check out the real data!

Howard
Looks great! I'll buy one and give it a shot.
Old 04-10-21, 06:04 PM
KJL

Bikes: Borealis Flume - Diamondback Hanjo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I was bummed to hear Maxxis is not making 3.8 Minions anymore
Old 04-10-21, 08:22 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Finally got a chance to slap on the Fat B Nimble and take it for a drive today. Nice. Fat and flubbery. Rolls fast enough and puts more bounce in the suspension. Grinds gravel and single track perfectly. Lighter. I like it just fine.