Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Pump - To Carry On Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire Pump - To Carry On Rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 11:50 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
Co2?
Another vote for dimeric cobalt.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-15-21, 02:39 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
Another vote for LEZYNE... Or a full-size Silca frame pump (Impero).
Old 04-16-21, 08:18 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I recently bought the Lezyne Road Drive Pump. I wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out the cake for the pump because it wasn't cheap, but what the heck. The pump paid for itself yesterday though.

I road over something that started to deflate my tubeless tyre. I pulled over to the side of the road and rather than break out the CO2, I opted for the new pump. A few quick pumps later, and I was back on the road. No CO2 wasted. The pump worked out great. No complaints.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 04-16-21, 09:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I carry co2 and a Topeak Pocket Rocket pump. The pump is mounted to the bottle cage mount and I rarely use it but when having multiple flats it works. If you still use tubes and you need to patch a tube you can use the pump to find the leak in the tube instead of using your last co2.
The thing has worked fine for years, a quality product.
Old 04-16-21, 02:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'll toss in my usual vote for the Topeak RaceRocket HP (shorter) or HPX (longer). Best ergonomics of the various mini-pumps I've tried.

And the rubbery grips help keep it in the jersey pocket, while some smooth all-metal mini-pumps seem to pop out more easily -- I've retrieved a few during group rides. Although clipping the pump into a mount behind the water bottle cage works best.

I also have a Blackburn Core Slim with is very good, equal to the Topeak RaceRocket HPX. But the all-metal shaft and end caps make it less comfortable to brace after 150 strokes or more. The soft plasticky end caps on the Topeaks are more comfortable.

On the plus side for the Blackburn, one end cap doubles as an all-metal valve core wrench. The Topeaks use soft plastic end caps that double as barely adequate valve core wrenches. But my multitools have core wrenches anyway, and I'd rather use the pump that functions best as a pump.

I also tote CO2 kits in the saddle bags for group rides so people aren't waiting too long for me. I use the pumps on solo rides.
Old 04-16-21, 02:53 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I've got a few of these (Lezyne) and I'd buy another if I needed one. As someone said above, it's out of the way on the side of the water bottle holder, and you never know it's there. Don't worry about how many times you have to pump them to inflate a tire. These aren't supposed to be fast, they're meant to get you out of a jam. Besides, the time it takes to inflate the tire with a mini-pump is still only a fraction of the time you spent changing or patching the tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1